Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virtua Fighter 4 for PS2

Virtua Fighter 4 for PS2

Has anyone played yet? The game is pretty accurate form of tournaments, well almost. The styles portrayed is based on actual fighting style of real martial arts, well closer than any other games. Except, Akira is actually doing Karate and not Kung Fu, lol. And I doubt spinning back flips kicks of Jeet Kune Do by Jacky Bryants is a real MA feat, but anyway, for the most part, the moves are pretty feasible. As well as parry, throws, etc are well represented. Over all, great game, it does come closer to show real fighting, which is concise, slower, strategic, and well contemplated than brutality of Tekken. Although I like Tekken a lot too for its qualities. Lei Fei from VF4 is pretty down right superb, he portrays the Shaolin style. Although I do think the game could have assimilated some better storyline and tons of videos and intros like Tekken, but overall, awesome.
    Milia Macerusk

I got the game its pretty good I wish thier could be more characters though. What real martial art style is close to Koen-Ken?

Oh that's easy, it's the Tiger and Swallow system. The only character is almost impossible to play with is Aoi. All of her moves her Aikido, ok good, but it's really pain in the butt to predict the opponent's attack and then execute the Aoi's grapplings and leverage. And Akira's combos are really insane to do, sometimes it's frustrating. But it's ok.
    Milia Macerusk

actually, akira`s style is authentic Ba Ji Quan, probably coming from liu shu wen lineage.And i know one of his movement is taken from shaolin Xin Yi ba. So, basically he`s not doing karate, although he might be wearing a karate`s gi

Really, whoa, lol. Because he's strikes seem very straightforward like karate and his blocks look like Shotokan Karate, you know the blocks he uses to "damage" his opponent, looks a lot like kata pinan ni.
    Milia Macerusk

I've got this game, and I love it!

Akira does Ba Ji Quan? That's very interesting. I was wondering what was up with all the shoulder thrusts and stepping palms, it all seemed so "internal"

yes, indeed baji and also xingyi really look straight forward like karate, and they`re not very pretty to watch. But looks can be deceiving.

People say that Baji looks like Xingyi, but feels like chen tai chi. Baji`s power generation has similarity with chen tai chi. It is known as a powerful martial art prefered by the body guards.
    Some people even says that baji is also an internal art.

You can look upon baji`s thread by people more knowledgable than me in the taijiquan and internal ma forum, as i only learn xingyi.

by the way, in xingyi forum at www.emptyflower.com/xingyiquan ,
    there`s a thread about vf4, whrn one of the member said that he met yu suzuki, the creator of vf. Suzuki said that he only took the martial arts where the masters can performs and really fight with their respective ma, and there`s not many of them. That said something about baji`s martial ability.

IC, your very infomative, thank you. Ummm if Baji a lot like Xingyi, then why the power of Baji is like Chen Tai Chi? Shouldn't be kinda like Xingyi? What is the difference then between the power generation between Xingyi and Tai Chi? Thanks.
    Milia Macerusk

baji and xingyi have similar approach in fighting, that is aggressive and direct. But i think they got different approach in training, hence they have different outcomes

in the taichi and neijia section, this topic along with baji and chen tai ji things, has been discussed many times, just do some search in that section. I also remembered that some baji practitioners talks about baji in emptyflower board

Thumbs up

If you liked Yu Suzukis Virtua Fighter, the check out the SHENMUE series! You will LOVE it
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

For what I heard, xingyiquan may have originated from Bajiquan. Bajiquan originated from region around Wudang and there seems to be some connection to Chen style as well.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

Then why is Baji external? And somewhat easily defeated against, let say a proficient Tai Chi or Xingyi practitioner, if they both have same years and ardour for training?
    Milia Macerusk

""Then why is Baji external? And somewhat easily defeated against, let say a proficient Tai Chi or Xingyi practitioner, if they both have same years and ardour for training?""

First of all, Baji is as far as I know internal. The rest is just stupid. Do you think that just because you train in a certain style you will be better at fighting? If a Baji practioner trains harder he will win over a muay thai practioner that trains like a bum. And vise versa
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Ah u just generalized without a reason for ur conviction. i think u need to travel to the internal section of this board. lol
    Milia Macerusk

What kind of a name is StickyHands anyway? Don't u use soap?