Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Ma Huang/Ephedra Banned

He said "the law should require that herbal products sold for alleged health purposes be proven safe and effective BEFORE marketing."
    kind of a no-brainer and yet...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Sometimes it isn't that easy!
    Do a search on CYP isoenzymes. Certain isoenzymens (CYP450!) responsible for breaking down the drug/herbal product when mixed with other medication can cause life threatening situations and death. Some people may not have said isoenzyme (it is lacking) or it is overexpressed (more of an x compound) allowing for more drug to stay in the body (which is bad!) or underexpressed meaning said drug is cleared (goes through the body sooner) and having less of a therapeutic effect.

Check on grapefruit and cardiac medication! I no longer have the data but Belgian authorities (some years ago!) had a list of drugs (usually TCM) that had added medical products that cause so many adverse events that they started an EU programme to start a labelling campaign due to combat widespread abuse. It might still be available if you do a good search and know what you are looking for.
    Much of explanation is in the realm of pharmacology, how the liver breaks down these drug production and what could go wrong when people mix drug and a herbal medication, which is natural, can become dangerous(the grapefruit.CV meds connundrum)
    Last edited by mawali; 02-20-2016 at 08:23 PM.