Thread: Serious Injuries

Hman Guest

Serious Injuries

I recently sustained a very serious herniated disk in my neck. I have been in excrutiating pain for several weeks. Now that I am starting to come out of the pain a bit, I am wondering when and if I will be able to train again with the same intensity that I am used to.

I have seen several doctors who all seem hesitant to say when and if I will be able to spar and train in shaolin like I used to. To all of us who have commited our lives to the art I am sure you can all sympathize with my concerns, no matter what style you practice.

If anyone has sustained similar injuries and have had to comprimise your training, I am curious to know if there is anyone who can tell me about their experience, and if such injuries like I have sustained, will force me to modify my training so that I dont inflict damage even after I have fully recovered.

I appreciate any constructive comments on the subject you can offer.

shaolinboxer Guest

Working through injury

First off, please please listen to your doctor and becareful of so called die hards telling you to train regardless of you condition.

That being said, I have recently discovered that the chrnic pain in my knee is due to a torn meniscus, an injury that never heals and requires arthroscopic surgery. However, I have been able to get the pain under control to the point that 95% of the time I do not notice the injury. Eevntually I will need surgery, but changes in my practice will prevent that for a long time.

The thing that's hard to swallow is that after 10 years of trying to master kicking (and sparring), I have virtualy stopped in favor of other techniques (switching from kickboxing/kung fu to aikido). Also, the need to be careful has forced me to improve my balance, posture, and precision.

Don't be afraid to change your game, and good luck.