Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is 34 too old

is 34 too old

to begin a martial art?
    earnest

Nope. There's a guy at my kwoon who just started a few weeks ago who's in his late 50s and has never done anything phisical since high school.

At your age,you should know!... Seriously, 34 is young enough to begin and even achieve lots of things.
    Have some fun here!

no it's not too old

but I wouldn't try taking up acrobatic wu shu or anything.

Im 40, Been in for over 25 years.

And best of all, even at 40 Im not too old to sleep with 18 year old hotties

Hell no! I know a guy in my class who started in his late forties, now he's in great shape.

Later...

Nope not too old.

There are quiet a few renowned masters that started late too.

I'm turning 34 on Thursday, so it better not be too old.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

coincidence

I've just had a 51 year old woman start my classes. She came in saying she was interested in it from a self defense standpoint. She does the beginning drills ok and is banging arms with the younger guys but at 51 I just don't think she is ever going to have the physicality to pursue martial arts as a viable method of self defense. In the past she has learned both long and short yang style tai chi so has decent body awareness and movement. I just don't know on this one, she's come to 4 classes in a row and seems to be intent on it but she's a small 51 year old woman.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Not too old. Age makes it harder at first but there is no reason why an older person cannot develop good kung fu. We have a guy in his mid-50s who started because his sons started. Now they are gone and he is still training - and getting better every time I see him.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Didn't you hear? Forty is the new thirty: which means you are still in your twenties! Except for the getting old part, age doesn't exist!

34 is not too old. Great to hear that you're starting the martial arts. Just remember to have fun.

Originally posted by kungfu cowboy
    Didn't you hear? Forty is the new thirty: which means you are still in your twenties! Except for the getting old part, age doesn't exist!
    Excellent.

I'm immortal.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Re: no it's not too old

Originally posted by carly
    but I wouldn't try taking up acrobatic wu shu or anything.
    Why not? With a good Sifu to guide him, it should just fine. I
    doubt any one will expect cart wheels and leaps right off the bat, any way.

In that case can anyone recommend instruction in the Madison, Wisconsin area? Any information. whether pro or con, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    earnest