Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife fighting classes in DC?

Knife fighting classes in DC?

A friend of mine (17 yrs. old) has expressed an interest in learning knifefighting. He is very heavy into European arms and armour, and is quite good at fencing and sparring with a variety of European weapons. The school where he trains is also mostly geared to non-sport fencing, more old-school kind of stuff.

Can any of the Washington DC people recommend any good knifefighting schools? Style isn't really that important. Thanks a lot.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

plenty of arnis/escrima. Web search proved short on contact details though.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Re: Knife fighting classes in DC?

Originally posted by taijiquan_student
    any good knifefighting schools? Style isn't really that important.
    No recommendations. I just wanted to say that the above is probably one of the most intelligent things I've ever seen posted here.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Hey, I didn't even notice that! It's true though (unless your style consists purely of smashing yourself in the face while running around in circles, screaming "Kill for Christ! Kill for Christ!").

I will, of course search on Google and the like, and the phone-book, but I was just seeing if any of the DC guys here knew of anyone or any school in particular that teaches good knife-fighting.

unless your style consists purely of smashing yourself in the face while running around in circles, screaming "Kill for Christ! Kill for Christ!"
    You mean chung moo quan?
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

Basically.

exchange Christ with Bruce Lee, and you'll have Jeet Kune Do
    Last edited by chen zhen; 05-30-2003 at 03:45 AM.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    if apoweyn doesn't pick up on this thread you might PM him.
    of everyone posting here from that area he might have the best info to offer.
    I think rogue is from upper VA as well.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Cheers Oso.

Well, there are JKD and eskrima schools in the area. Either of which would provide some training in knifefighting. But not a particularly focused training in knifefighting.

There's the Trident Academy of Martial Arts in Woodbridge, VA.

http://www.tridentacademy.org/index.asp

They're associated with Frank Cucci, a JKD teacher (Inosanto lineage) out of Virginia Beach, I believe. (Though, based on the website, the head instructor in Woodbridge is a Patrick Tray.) I used to train with the senior instructor, In Chun Kim. Very talented guy. Anyway, looks like they have a program on FMA specifically. That would include knifefighting, though it would also include a lot of stickwork that your friend may or may not find interesting.

There's also Mike Krivka in Gaithersburg, MD. Another JKD teacher from Guro Dan's lineage.

http://www.martialartskoncepts.com/

Similar setup to Trident. I haven't worked with Mike Krivka extensively. But briefly at seminars and the like.

Also, check out this page.

http://www.trainingblades.com/mdvatraining.htm

It lists several of the local JKD teachers. Steve Braun (who I trained with briefly) and Bob Burgee were teaching out of Columbia. As was Guro Pat Finley (my teacher). But last I heard, none of them were at that gym anymore. Still, it has email addresses for each, which may prove handy. Bob Burgee is listed as Sayoc kali. And I believe Sayoc is more focused on the knife than many FMA schools tend to be.

If your friend isn't interested in FMA as a whole, he might inquire about a few private sessions on the knife. I wouldn't be at all surprised if any or all of the people I mentioned do that sort of thing.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    morning, Ap!

ok, quizzle me this. Where has JKD gone since the death of Bruce Lee?

It seems as if there is a heavy FMA influence. Understandibly of course in Dan Inasanto's line.

hmm, I t'inks mebbe I'll start a new thread.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Originally posted by Oso
    morning, Ap!

ok, quizzle me this. Where has JKD gone since the death of Bruce Lee?

It seems as if there is a heavy FMA influence. Understandibly of course in Dan Inasanto's line.

hmm, I t'inks mebbe I'll start a new thread.
    If you're going to start a new thread, I'll hold off answering until then. Of course, it'll only be my opinion. But what the hell.

Thanks apoweyn and everybody else for your replies. I'll take a look at those schools/teachers you mentioned, Stuart.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

The School of I Thought I Knew Now Show Me I No_Know.

Imagining receiving two common attacks. And comming up with five counters/responses each.

Basically Your friend or whomever to come-up with what they think is an effective strike-ish with a knife (butterknife, stick, pen, crayon, pencil, Bowie Knife...). Person should come-up with five responses to that attack.

The same attack(s)/responses with wider/narrower stances, perhaps.

Person should with this partner/individual playing realize where balance should be for specific moves. And that the free arm acts as distract and a balance and a back-up attack (should be considered ineffective to damage, but a purchaser of time for re-positioning to prepare for another attack or to make another attack)

Doing like this with a partner or by-self, should be helpful for understanding when does go to a formal~ school.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

There's a Dan Mikesva who is under Paul Vunak lineage. He's into weapons like arnis stickfighting and I believe he has knowledge of BLADE weapons. Dan teaches out of Virginia Martial Arts in Chantilly, Virginia.
    A

Originally posted by taijiquan_student
    Thanks apoweyn and everybody else for your replies. I'll take a look at those schools/teachers you mentioned, Stuart.
    No worries. Hope it helps.

Stuart