Thread: Bumping

Question Bumping

Need work on my bumps and hip checks. Any advice would be appreciated.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

take up ice hockey.

I recommend you work on the ROM of your hip joints as well as your spine. There are several sources out there that specifically address hip/spine flexibility and joint strength. I would recommend that your check out Scott Sonnon's "Warrior Wellness" series for some ideas. Another source of information is Pavel Tsatsouline's "Super Joints".

KG

Re: Bumping

Originally posted by guohuen
    Need work on my bumps and hip checks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Play pelvis tag with some friends. Training partners are better than non-martial artists. Better yet, play with a group of dancers. That's who I learned it from.

Demarcate an area for play. The size will depend on the size of the group and how fast y'all can move. Whoever is "it" has to tag someone else with their hip. Those who are not "it" have to be able to move their hips out of the way. Specific rules (like tag-backs) should be negotiated before the play.

Have fun with that one!

Another thing you can do is a rooting exercise I learned from Wei Lun Huang. Two people stand hip to hip in horse stance, facing opposite directions, then you move in circles, horizontal or vertical, so that in effect, you are playing "sticky hips". This one works best if you're both about the same size.

PLC

Smile

Thanks everyone. I'll try all of the above.
    P.S. Eric, watching me skate is like watching a slow motion train wreck.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

I hear you dude. Ice hockey is the only organized sport I never played.