Thread: dan chi?

dan chi?

I heard there is a sensitivity drill in SPM called dan chi, how is the excercise performed, and what is the goal of it?

I think there's an exercise more from SPM named "harmonious spring", or something.. what about that?

I dunno about SPM but there is an exercise in Wing Chun by that name that is sensitivity. It is taught before Chi Sao and is known as one armed Chi Sao.
    I have a signature.

yeah, that's dan chi sao. but is there one called only dan chi?

dan chi?

Dont know about dan chi... in southern mantis we have dan jong same as doyi jong but single hand, it's a strength and sensitivity drill, is this the thing you are thinking of? have you seen it performed I am not going to describe doyi jong but I will paste a bit of info off the net thats not a bad break down of the excersise:

The first Chong that one learns is called "Doei Chong" (or Doy Chong), meaning double hand practice. Doy Chong is the basic bridge development of the Chow Gar Praying Mantis Kung Fu. It is called the beginning of power known as Wun Tong. With the Doy Chong the more time you spend practicing the better development of power you can achieve. The power of Doy Chong is special and is not like lifting weights or pushing something.

The 4 positions of Doy Chong are up down left and right as 4 flexible powers that resist like thick bamboo poles. After a long time practicing, you can bring the power to any part of your body with smoothness and makes your hands and body have sensitivity. Sensitivity of not only reflex but of power and strength as well. It is a completely different form of training to a wooden man dummy.

It is important that one develops live power and not dead power (Say Gen).

When training with the Doy Chong, both participants must practice seriously, you cannot be lighthearted, the atmosphere must be like that of facing your enemy. Therefore in time every move will spark with power and life. The Doy Chong needs two people to make it a success.

It flows as follows: (A) punches (B) with Phoenix eye fist (B) blocks with both arms (A) presses in together with both arms against (B). (B) pulls back his elbows about 3 or 4 inches, (A) cuts back (B's) elbows with Narp Sau. Repeat continuously.

This type of Chong builds the power of sensitivity and helps your strength to become smooth, and the internal force directed. Through this basic chong you will become more relaxed, this is vital to understand the rest of the sensitivity drills of the system. As one progresses in these Chongs, each time a different area is covered, whether it be the steps, grabbing, seizing, breaking etc.

Hope that helps

yes, that helped. I guess that's what I asked about..

I've heard Dan Chi Sau (Wing Chun) referred to as Dan Chi several times. I don't know about SPM but in WC the movements are:
    'A' and 'B' face each other with A's right wrist bridged with B's left wrist. The one on the bottom of the bridge (in this example A is on the bottom) A begins by executing a palm strike to B's chest. B defends with a Jum Sau movement. B then launches a punch at A's solar plexas, and A defends with a Bong Sau. They then go back to the neutral position that they started in, and then they begin all over. Usually the two parties are stationary, facing each other. The description I give are only the movements without explaining directional power and giving way to the opponents power. The real goal Dan Chi or Dan Chi Sau is to learn to relax and feeling the direction of your opponents force, not learning the a Jum Sao defends against a mid-level palm strike, etc. It is also a prerequisite to getting to the Double Chi Sau level.

Dan Chi ?!

What ever way it is spoken sounds like the goal is to develop single power, sounds similar to Dan ging-single power. All the responses tend to lean towards something developing single hand power.