Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MA and the Law.

MA and the Law.

Hi.

I know this is an often discusses topic.

In a few places where I lived the following rules/laws applied:

1.) If 2 or more people are fighting EVERYBODY is arrested and treated the same.
    Regardless of circumstances, minimum charge will be "causing a disturbance" or similar.
    2.) If a 3rd or "uninvolved" party incites a person to fight he can and will be legally prosecuted.

I am not going into weapons as the topic and views are too diversified as they are all based upon local conditions and personal experience.

Personally, I like the 2 above laws as they tend to make people think a bit more before getting into fights and similar.

Cheers.

Yep, very good laws, for the most part. I was working at a pizza joint part time and had the pleasure of seeing the 20 year old manager get into a fight with some former employee who came in to start something. I have never seen a cat fight quite that nasty before. Both got ticketted, but the one who came looking for a fight got hammered, as she had no other reason for being anywhere near the store.

I also get a kick out of the "Cop Talk and Police Blotter" in my local paper. Some woman picks a fight with her segnifigant other, looses, then calls the cops, claiming he hurt her. They must be idiot to think the cop is going to side with them when the guy has a bloody nose and black eye, when all she has is a slight rug burn from him pushing her away.

i still dont understand why necrophillia is illegal. frowned upon sure, but where are my rights???
    where's my beer?

Do you prefer them still warm, or cold?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

both.
    where's my beer?

I view them as ignorant sissy laws instituted by those worms that like to give rather than recieve. Also further evidence that most of us live in only semi-benign police states masquerading as democracys.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I view them as ignorant sissy laws instituted by those worms that like to give rather than recieve. Also further evidence that most of us live in only semi-benign police states masquerading as democracys.
    SWEET !

I've said it before...give me the Arthurian 'might makes right' every time.

I'd still take our semi-benign police state over some others that are out there, past and present.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

"give me the Arthurian 'might makes right' every time."

who is ARTHUR??????

King Aurther. You know, Camelott, Knites of the Round Table...

I like those laws because they encourage people to just walk away if they can. Some people jsut don't care enough to do the right thing unless someone makes it clear that they better or ELSE.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    "give me the Arthurian 'might makes right' every time."

who is ARTHUR??????

cretin !!!

*edit* quote didn't work correctly
    Last edited by Oso; 06-02-2003 at 11:23 AM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I think the law charging everyone involved in a fight is unfair in that it doesn't account for the possibility of justified action through self-defense. Of course, there is a difference in being charged and convicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

There were almost 5 fights at the river yesterday, but none of them went for it.
    All people fighting were my friends.
    I planned to stand and drink a beer, eat some chips, and watch the fights. I wouldnt jump in unless my friend was getting hurt, or jumped. In which case, I think it would be crap for me to get in trouble. But its crap any time I get arrested.....

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    I think the law charging everyone involved in a fight is unfair in that it doesn't account for the possibility of justified action through self-defense. Of course, there is a difference in being charged and convicted.
    There are 2 reasons for the law:

1.) To get the involved parties out of the street to a police station, where the situation can be sorted out.

2.) In those countries you are considered guilty of a crime until prooven innocent. Very few false arrests do happen in those countries though.

Said that back home where those laws apply, you are also required to carry a First Aid Kit in your Car/Bike and MUST give assistance in case of any accident.
    First Aid training is compulsory and part of the process to get your drivers licence.

I think it's your responsibility as a would be martial artist to know the local laws regarding fighting and use of force.
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

Originally posted by Fred Sanford
    I think it's your responsibility as a would be martial artist to know the local laws regarding fighting and use of force.
    No argument there. A friends of mine got involved in an altercation in foreign countries and learned it the hard way.

As a general rule if you are a foreigner they will be harder on you.