Thread: Kun Tao!

Kun Tao!

I know someone here must of heard of this one!

There was a big article in last months magazine.

Well my name is Aaron and I just joined this fourm.
    And the art I now take is Kun Tao. And in the article in Kung Fu Magazine was right in saying it was very destructive. But you really should see how destructive and thus amazing it really is!

My Sifu just sent me an E-mail telling me of the class website being up soon but I have no link of it yet. I'll post it right when I get it!

This seems like a really kickass fourm and I hope to make a soild mark here....like I do in other messages boards.
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Welcome!

Is it Kun Tao silat or a Filipino Kun Tao system you are taking?

I have seen Filipino Kun Tao firsthand but not Kun Tao silat so I am curious as alas I have not read the article.
    Regards

Where abouts in upstate NY?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by Black Jack
    Welcome!

Is it Kun Tao silat or a Filipino Kun Tao system you are taking?

I have seen Filipino Kun Tao firsthand but not Kun Tao silat so I am curious as alas I have not read the article.
    ahh yes I'm sorry.

We do Kun Tao Silat. And a bunch of others mixed in there. Still very destrive art!

Wait it's still filipino no?
    Originally posted by norther practitioner
    Where abouts in upstate NY?
    ummmm.....near Lake Onterio...
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Welcome to the forum!
    Beware of trollers...

cant say Ive ever seen any kun tao demonstrations.

I grew up in upstate.... went to school in Syracuse... spent summers outside of Rochester.... fished out of Little Sodus Bay, partied in Oswego, plus various other towns in between Syracuse and Watertown, and Syracuse and Buffalo....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I snuck into your house and stole a good 1/2 of your soul while you slept.

Shaolin-do -
    cant say Ive ever seen any kun tao demonstrations.
    Strictly speaking...I THINK anyway. Any Chinese style that made it's way to Indonesia and was studied (and especially CHANGED...like, maybe adding a gi and adopting different names for things done within the style) there would be considered Kun Tao. Right?

So, Shaolin-do, you study Kun Tao!

Keep it simple, stupid.

hmm...
    Well then Ive never seen kun tao silat or filipino kun tao?

The word Kun Tao was a term adopted as a generic phrase for 'martial arts' in the pre-independence era of Indonesia. Even Silat styles were called Kun Tao by some. In the post-Independence era, Silat has become the generic word for martial arts, and you even see Chinese styles caled 'silat' or belonging to 'silat' organizations.

The terminology is not as clear cut as one might think. There was a good article some years ago by Dr. Phillip HJ Davies that gave description to the different 'waves' of Chinese stylists in that region.

Oh, and Shaolin-Do, it's still Karate. Trust me on this.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Strictly speaking...I THINK anyway. Any Chinese style that made it's way to Indonesia and was studied (and especially CHANGED...like, maybe adding a gi and adopting different names for things done within the style) there would be considered Kun Tao. Right?
    another shaolin-do loser

Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    I grew up in upstate.... went to school in Syracuse... spent summers outside of Rochester.... fished out of Little Sodus Bay, partied in Oswego, plus various other towns in between Syracuse and Watertown, and Syracuse and Buffalo....
    Wow....I'm a resdent of Rochester.

Don't stalk me now.

Originally posted by Fred Sanford

another shaolin-do loser

Does everyone pick on this guy?

-CPD hostage negotiator