Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Physical Culture & Dodge Ball

Originally posted by Black Jack
    ....But for kids your list was good except I doubt you could find a parent that would let their precious play Rugby.

It's almost as dangerous on a physical level as Dodgeball is on a emotional level.
    That is so true. I don't want my kid growing up to think it's okay to go out, play an intensely violent game and leave the aggression on the field to go out for brats and beer with his or her opponents! No sirree! That's just asking for trouble!

"Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

BJ,
    That's because there's only so much that can be said about any one topic, but there is no end to stupidity.

Eventually it would become two-hand-touch rugby anyway to satisfy all the wussy kids' parents.

I still play hacky sack.
    And frisbee golf
    and basketball....
    Thats about it. Footbal on occasion.
    Wall ball would be good for hand eye however.
    And 2 hand touch rugby would be for nancy boys.

Hacky sack is cool! I'm trying to teach my oldest boy how to play. Hasn't dawned on him it is more than a game yet. You get extra work out when you throw a 15 month old into the mix. Every time we drop it, he picks it up and runs, wildly giggling. (His favorite game is "Chase The Baby".) We also do "family Jump rope-a-thons", and Skate boarding to practice ballence. It never dawned on me to try dodge ball with him. Even the baby could get in on that, if we're carefull.

Hacky sack is fun
    So is frisbee golf.
    Woohoo!
    Boss just brought in free tacos!

KC you are right on that mark.

This could of been a good topic on games and drills....something which has not been talked about much here in detail.....come to think about it, I should of put it on the training forum, and I doubt I would of had these problems.

Me thinks I should pay more attention to the specific forums.
    Regards

Talking

This tread should go to the Smithsonian as a prime example of why Johnny Can't play dodge ball anymore. If I were to buy into this protective parent/government psycobabble Id be out there circulating a petition to ban stairs because people get hurt on them. It's funny. Occasionaly I have memories of being beaten as a child. Sometimes I relive combat in my dreams. Yet as many times as I've been knocked off my feet with a soccer/basketball/medicine ball ect. I don't feel the need for therapy or firearms. I discovered at a young age how to develope compromises with overprotective parenting. At four years old I as climbing a tree and my mother said to get down this instance. I said no. I got down after I picked the fruit I climbed up to get.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

You guys ever done any Shuai Chiao-type bag tossing? That's a pretty good drill, and it seems like it could be made into a game with no t much trouble.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

we could have pickup dodgeball games. it'd be like fight club, but for l'il kids.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA