Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Drunken Kung Fu

Shaolin Master Guest

Zui Quan - Shaolin or otherwise

Quote from the site "Master Troy would be most fortunate being accepted by the late Grandmaster and sole inheritor of the Lau Family Eight Immortals style Master Lau Yee Chan. This style which couples the My Jong Fist and Eight Immortals systems, he has also been given the title of Sixth Generation Inheritor of the Lau Family style which is sought out by learners the world over"

>> Sole Inheritor of Lau Family 8 Immortals...hehehe [Marketing in the US hehe]
    >> Original?? [To Whom] that is such a subjective statement.

Anyways, on with the discussion :

Drunken Forms/Styles :

Wudang Zui ba Xian
    Chuo Jiao Fan Zi Men Zui Ba Xian
    Wu Song Zui Quan
    Li Shi Zhen Zui Quan
    Tang Lang - Zui Lohan
    CLF - Zui Lohan
    Da Xing - Drunken Monkey
    Hung Fut - Drunken Set
    Hung Kuen (Only in some lineages and thought to be the one from Lau ) - Zui ba Xian
    Songshan Shaolin - Zui Quan (Modern Wushu influenced/created)
    Songshan Shaolin - Zui Lohan (part of the 18 Lohan Routines unkown to many form the Miao Xing Lineage)
    Fujian Shaolin - Zui Lohan (part of the 18 In Door Routines)
    Sth Zui Ba xian (That silly Leung Ting Version)
    and many many more.

For the most complete system it is actually a style orignating in Hebei Prov. and practiced in central china. Known as Zui Ba Xian Quan consisting of 10 routines. A fundamental fist set, one for each immortal and a combined one. Also includes weapon sets, special pillar training and all the typical combat excercises typical to most kung fu styles.

Regards

Shi Chan Long

njs Guest

drunken kung fu

this is a reply about the drunken kung fu.there is a monk in houston that is one of the best drunken artist around.i don't know his name but, he is there with the master of the shaolin temple of houston.i also heard that his training is really effective and very good.

dre_doggX Guest

Drunken Kungfu Video

HAs any one seen they drunken kungfu instructional video from the Martial arts supplies shop on this site??????????>>>>

Andre Lashley

Talking Drunken Boxing School

Alright, I been looking for what seems an eternity, to find a Drunken Boxing Kung Fu School...But it's like they don't exist for me or something. PLEASE! If anybody knows of any Drunken Boxing Kung Fu Schools in Canada, preferably around Montreal, if not in/around Montreal its cool too. YOU HAVE TO LET ME KNOW!!!!

I'm sorry to tell you, but there REALLY isn't such a thing. When I say REALLY I mean that the style does exist in wushu and rarely in kungfu, but there really isn't a school that mainly teaches drunkern? You would be hard pressed to even find a traditional one in Hong Kong, PRC or Taiwan.

The funny thing is that after this post there will be cats claiming they know or their Sifu knows this style, but in my opinion and viewing some of the drunkerns out there, it seems made up.

The true is that the real drunkern styles out there are short and/or compact. There is one style that only has something like 24 movements (I forgot the name). As for the 8 immortals style, I HEARD that it only has like one or two fist forms.

Well, with that being said, there may be many people who will say I'm wrong or misunderstood. It is your choice to believe me or not. However, about 10 years ago I went on the same quest in search of the drunkern style in general. I was interested in learning it, but it really doesn't exist PER SE.
    Last edited by Richie; 12-31-2001 at 03:51 AM.
    For traditional kung fu go to http://www.taishingpekkwar.com

True on that. There is no school I know of that teaches drunken style kung fu.

However, many kung fu styles contain a drunken form or two, as does contemporary wushu. They're considered pretty advanced forms, because of the degree of physical control needed to do them.

Check out traditional kung fu schools around your area (anyone on the forum from Montreal?), ask questions, find out about their styles, do some research. I guarantee it'll be rewarding.

Happy New Year,
    Sam
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Well in actuality it is true there isn't a 'dedicated' drunken system per se, any claims to such are either made up or are a 'piece' of a martial system with the drunken components separated out.

Ba xian Zui (8 Immortals) - to my knowledge in Wudang system there are 2 routines a short one and a little longer one neither are immense in number of techniques (around 88 for the longer).

However, In a northern system (Chuo Jiao Fan Zi Men) the Ba xian zui components (which are actually taught after all 18 routines of Chuo Jiao) there are 8 routines of moderate length each representing an immortal. This same system includes traditional Ditanquan as well and is quite huge.

Fact is, if your martial arts has drunken in it then learn it, if it doesn't ignore it. Do not seek drunken though it is best to ensure your fundamental skills are prevalent over and above any mimic-martial arts.

All the best wishes for New Year 2002 and may peace be with you....always.

Some schools teach it, but I doubt there is a school centered completely around the style. Our Sifu teaches a Drunken Fist form and a Drunken Straight Sword form, but I dont think youll find a Drunken Kung Fu school.
    " A hero lives but a few seconds..............A master holds on to his life "

Shaolin Master

Shaolin Master wrote "However, In a northern system (Chuo Jiao Fan Zi Men) the Ba xian zui components (which are actually taught after all 18 routines of Chuo Jiao) there are 8 routines of moderate length each representing an immortal. This same system includes traditional Ditanquan as well and is quite huge."

What are you talking about? This sounds like wushu to me. I've never heard of such a style. Well, thats not saying much because there is a lot of stuff I dont know. However, I've been practicing Kung fu for a while and I've been studying kung fu for even longer.

I think what you are talking about is wushu. Do you do wushu? It seems tht way. You say "routines" and use PRC chinese. Well, that also isn't saying much but everybody I know who does wushu says stuff like that.

Who is your teacher? What style do you do?

Ritchie,

I do not do what you proclaim as wushu!

Chuo Jiao is a style I learnt of my teacher(Master Zhou). There are 3 main divisions : Hebei, DongBei and BeiJing.
    Chuo Jiao used to be known as 'madarin duck kicking methods' or '9 branches'
    Fanzi used to be known as 'ba shan fan'
    through times names change.

I learnt that of the HeBei variety. Along with Tongbeipigua.

It is a very old traditional style, not common in the west but very popular in China.

I use 'routines' because I used to use 'sets' or 'forms' etc......but they are just english names of 'tan' or 'tau lu'. A form could be a series of techniques within a set or routine. and a set could be a section of a routine. It is just terminology which I interchangeably play with.

there is alot you don't know.

First off, I talking about that 8 drunken style. Second, a lot of cats claim they do kung fu when it isn't. Most of them come from China. Most of what comes out of China is wushu. Is there traditional kung fu in China? Yes, but a small part. When kung fu was outlawed, most of the kung fu was lost. The rest was either modified or sesrectly taught. Then they tried to bring it back, but it wasnt what it once was.

I dont know a lot, but I know what I know. If your teacher or teacher's teacher learned after the late 40's then most likely you do wushu. Hey I seen wushu that looks very traditional. If you look at old school wushu guys, it looks kind of traditional.

"I talking about that 8 drunken style"
    - but you are not! as you disclaimed its existence.

"Second, a lot of cats claim they do kung fu when it isn't "
    - but a cook, piano player, gymnast could still be doing kung fu.
    - Who are you to judge

"If your teacher or teacher's teacher learned after the late 40's then most likely you do wushu"
    - Teacher Zhou Learnt 1910-1956

"Hey I seen wushu that looks very traditional. If you look at old school wushu guys, it looks kind of traditional"
    -Looks this and that ......
    -I don't personally support the prc sports wushu movement but it has its place....
    - do not do yourself injustice by closing your eyes.

Rgds,

Shi Chan Long

Shaolin Master

Yes there is an 8 D I style. If you look at my first post I wrote that it does exsist. In the south though And it only has a hand full of forms and in those forms are sub forms to represent each immprtal. When I say sub form I mean like only about 5 or so movements. I saw Northern version, but it was wushu and it looked made up.

Kung fu? Yes you are right, but kung fu has a double meaning. It is kind of like the word "BAD". Bad has two meanings. Kung fu also meanings traditional Chinese Martial arts. It may be slangish, but CMA has been call kung fu for so long, that the word kung fu has been redefined.

As for wushu, I like watching it. They are very good at what they do.

Lung Ting

Has a book on the 8 immortal drunken style, in the book there is over 70 movement's, but the drunken
    motions are very limited and spaced far apart from
    each other..also the form represents all 8 immortals, the only drunk one was the cripple,
    the non-drunken motions represent the other 7 immortals.

Skard1
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

drunken styles ?????!!!!

is everyone here forgetting choy li fut a style of kung fu which contains many drunken form movements and long sweeping fist strikes and kicks ?