Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3-Section Staff

The lightness of the wax-wood staffs are the reason why they are so good. You can move them very, very fast.

We have different forms with waxwood staffs than we have with the heavier, brown, wooden ones.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Really?
    Hmm... We only use the big azz brown ones at my kwoon... I have the waxwood at home tho... and yeah, you can make that thing f*ckin sing....

i used to make 3 sectionals out of PVC plastic tubing with nylon rope...it's easy to make, it's user friendly and it works like a charm without as painful a learning curve as wood offers. you'll still hit yourself, it just won't hurt as much.

hope it helps.

sincerely,
    neil

ps. the form in the clip is very similar to the 'tiger-tail 3 sectional' set of mantis fame

Originally posted by phantom
    Does anybody know what the law in the united states says about owning the staff? Thanks in advance.
    It does vary from state to state. In Tennessee there is a statute for carrying any club, blackjack, or knife with a blade over 4" long "with the intent to go armed." My understanding is that most staffs, short sticks etc would qualify as a club. There are special laws for weapons seperated with a cord or chain as well, but they also have the "intent" part of the law. Basically, it's illegal to carry one for the sole purpose to have a weapon available i.e. to be armed. It's fine to have your dao, straight swords, staffs etc. when going to and coming from class or practice. There's probably federal laws for carrying certain blades and clubs accross state lines etc. Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

GM LIVE 2017: Li Siu Hung

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Master Leon Zhang's 3 Section Staff

Our final web extra for our NOV+DEC 2017 is Master Leon Zhang's 3 Section Staff.

This is in conjunction with the article The Three-Section Staff of Shaolin Temple By Leon Zhang

Next issue, our Shaolin Special.

3 Section Staff Master Kit
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Great article