Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3-Section Staff

3-Section Staff

Does anyone know where to find vids of 3 sectional staff?(free ones online I mean)
    Thanks,
    SD

You can find a lot of Wushu vids at www.wushucentral.com

I haven't seen much traditional 3-section stuff online.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I know Ying jow pai has 3 section sets... (eagle claw)
    Other than that, I dont know of any other styles to use it... I just want to buy one anyways...
    Dont want to buy it if I cant figure it out, and Ive never seen it used so dont really know sh!t about it.
    But it looks fun...

It's a dangerous weapon, and I really suggest getting some personal instruction with it. I have a permanent knot on my left elbow from learning 3-section staff.

That weapon is a cruel mistress....
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Wah lum also uses the 3 section. Gave myself a concussion--then I wore my sparring headgear until I became proficient enough.
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Id like to know some more nunchaku swings too... If anyone knows links to those...
    Im sure the 3 section is dangerous to learn, Im not too worried bout it tho.
    Already got tough ass elbows.

then I wore my sparring headgear until I became proficient enough.
    That's how we teach it. At least a month of practice in headgear until you learn some control. I still whack myself sometimes when I go behind my back...gotta remember to keep my head down.

bahahaha
    Now I really wanna learn it

The spins on the sides of the body while walking sometimes throw me, but I love the floor spins.
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Padding never worked for me..

The only real trick with flexibles is you got to not flinch. If you flinch, you mess up the flow. Flinching comes with fear and padding your head does little to reduce fear, because once you take the padding off, the fear returns. So for me personally, padding my head never really helped.
    When I learned 3-section, I worked with real sticks all the way through, no pads, except for one move where I was required to keep both ends spinning in opposite circles. That turned out to be quite the knee buster for me. So for that, I used a foam 3-section.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I've seen some pretty amazing work with the 3-section, but nothing taped. I belive that if you want to take someone out of a fight, just give then the 3-section and watch them hurt themselves. Anyway SD, I believe it is part of the curriculum from 3rd to 4th (at least as an optional weapon).
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I gt the three sectin staff w/ video from mamart (here). It's really good. It basically teaches you a bunch of tricks. My teacher was hanging out w/ his friend when he was abut 18 and the dude was swinging the thing around real fast. All the sudden my teacher felt smething wet splash on him. The dude had wacked his (own) skull right open and the brain was visible. He died.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Here you can see a traditional 3 section staff form, from a disciple of the late Master Lee Koon Hung.
    http://taichiyuen.org/t6.htm
    It is the link number 9.

Originally posted by jun_erh
    . My teacher was hanging out w/ his friend when he was abut 18 and the dude was swinging the thing around real fast. All the sudden my teacher felt smething wet splash on him. The dude had wacked his (own) skull right open and the brain was visible. He died.
    You should start a thread on bizarre MA anecdotes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

yes
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu