Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Zhang San Feng Festival

Zhang San Feng Festival

Anyone going this weekend? I'll be there. Say "hi" if you see me!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Zhang San Feng Festival

Anyone going this weekend? I'm scheduled to be arrive off a red-eye Friday morning and I'll be there until Sunday. If you're going, Tiger Claw will have a table and you can meet em there. Remember, forum members can pose for a photo in the mag
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Zhang San Feng 2005

Well, this wasn't very popular here last year, but we'll see if that has changed. Anyone going this year? I have a serious red-eye flight on Thursday and will be there by Friday (what is it with ZSF and the red-eye flights?)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

gene

i'm surprised you didnt give yourself a shameless plug when you linked to this event with your crouching tiger pose

Ha!

That's cuz it's volunteer, meaning I make the same amount if one shows or if forty show. If forty show, it's a lot more work...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

well i was thinking more about showing the cool photo now you just need a qing era hairdo. ha

bad hair day

That photo is three years old. I sent them a new one in an actual martial arts pose, but they didn't use it. I guess the pose sucked. As for my hair, it was cut right after that pic was taken, but it's grown out since. I'm going for a sort of disheveled Ronin look now, partly out of office political protest, but mostly out of general sloppiness. I've been hoping it grows out so I can tie it up like in an old Shaw Brothers movie soon, but I might not make it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

gene this sounds soo much cooler

06-18-2004 (3 days)
    Shaolin Rasta Gathering
    Annual Gathering of Shaolin Rasta. The first form of Praying mantis, Beng Bu, will be transmitted.
    For more information, contact: Space tent
    Phone: -
    Event Address: Angel's Camp
    Calaveras, CA, - USA
    Online: - - www.snwmf.com
    EVENT ID: 1048 Edit

nothing like shaolin rasta.
    cant help but thing these jamaican guys with long dreads in shaolin monk suits on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

gotta update the Shaolin Rasta calendar...

I'm leaving for the Poconos in a few hours. BTW, this will be our last Jet Li poster raffle for Tiger Claw Foundation - it all ends on Monday, when I get back. Hope to see some of you out there at the ZSF Fest - it is their 30th anniversary!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm sooo tired...

Well, that red-eye, I barely slept. My eyes were closed for about three hours, but I was still not really sleeping. Friday and Saturday I wound up drinking with Master David Chin's Hop Gar guys, John Painter, Gary Torres, Jim Donally and a few other assorted characters, and only got about 3 hours sleep those nights. Then last night, my flight was delayed and I wound up stranded in Phoenix for a few hours. I think I got four hours last night. I wa feeling ok until after lunch. Now I'm sleepy.

Didn't see a single person from the forum, or at least I didn't realize if I did, but lots of magazine fans. It was fun.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

TTT for 2006

Well, it's that time of year again. I'm cathing an early morning flight on Friday and should be at the Zhang San Feng Festival and Tao of Health Expo by the evening. I'm meeting two Tiger Claw operatives, Rand Cardwell, author of The Western Bubishi and someone named Chris from the TN warehouse. As always, if you're from the forum, do check in with me. We aren't doing the forum members shots anymore, but it's always nice to meet people in the flesh. Hope to see you out there!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ill try and stop by when I get there Sunday, Gene. I look forward to meeting you in person.

Be well,

Dale Dugas
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    That photo is three years old. I sent them a new one in an actual martial arts pose, but they didn't use it. I guess the pose sucked. As for my hair, it was cut right after that pic was taken, but it's grown out since. I'm going for a sort of disheveled Ronin look now, partly out of office political protest, but mostly out of general sloppiness. I've been hoping it grows out so I can tie it up like in an old Shaw Brothers movie soon, but I might not make it.
    Gene, you look cool and fierce with that long hair. Just like somebody out of a Shaw Bros. flick.

cool and fierce

neilhytholt, that picture is now four years old. Since then, I've cut my hair and regrown it. Now it's a lionlike mane and I've got the evil kung fu villian goatee to match (I had the fu manchu moustache going for a spell, but I had to shave it when my seasonal allergies hit). Strange but true, I was voted "Most likely to star as a villain in a kung fu movie" by Teri Hatcher. Well, that's not really true, I was voted that by my graduating High School class and Teri was in my class, but I think she might have taken the equivalency exit exam to pursue modelling, and even if she didn't I don't know if she voted for me in that role. Nevertheless, I feel that my present position is fulfillment of High School prophesy.

I look forward to meeting you too, Dale Dugas. See you Sunday!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

stillcoughing...so much for 'tao of health'...

I had caught a slight cold on Tuesday, exacerbated by some allergy meds I'm on, and by the time I had to board the plane on Friday, I was sick as a dog. I'm sure my airplane neighbors loved my coughing fits. Anyway, the 2nd leg of my Oakland>Dallas>Newark flight, got cancelled and I got rerouted through O'hare, where I experienced two flight delays. A 9-hour in-transit expanded to a 15 hour nigthmare and by the time I arrived, my cough sounded like a barking walrus after a harsh crack hit. I coughed so hard that I popped a blood vessal in my eye (and old injury from a finger jab I took sparring in High School, beleive it or not). Not good for any event for me, because I have to do a lot of talking and it's hard to have a conversation that way. Plus I was scheduled to do two workshops, one on writing (where I had to talk a lot, of course, thank God for microphones) and one on Xingyi sword. The Xingyi sword one was at the end, and I was pretty exhausted. My Tiger Claw cohorts, Rand Cardwell and Chris Peanut-Butter-Train, were loading out when I finished, and we took off immediately after but I did get to shake hands with the man, the myth, Dale Dugas on my way out. Dale, I wish we could have talked a little longer, but I'm glad we at least touched base.

Anyway, you'll be able to read my 'official' review in our next issue going into production, the NOV/DEC 2006. Until next year....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips