Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Weapons

krome Guest

Why Train weapons?

I'm not just trolling here, this is something I have been trying to understand.

In todays modern world why do people still train weapons? You can't carry a weapon on the street, this isn't fuedal Japan or accient China. I can understand if you trained weapons for fun but there is no other reason to train any of the old weapons. The only weapons I can see a person training for self defense is a gun or a small knife. Other than that people should only be training how to defend themselves against someone who has a weapon.

Now for the personal questions.
    Does your style train weapons?
    Do you see any (street) applications for the weapons your art trains?
    Do you think your art should just train you to defend against weapons?

Use what works not what looks pretty.

Kumkuat Guest
    > Does your style train weapons?

yes

> Do you see any (street) applications for the
    > weapons your art trains?

yes.

> Do you think your art should just train you to
    > defend against weapons?

no

Ish Guest
    I train in a few weapons, they are Knife, 6' staff and single/double sticks. I agree with you a bit as in i don't carry my staff with me but it is very difficult to try and defend against something you don't understand. I also think that if you are trained in using weapons you find it a lot easier to improvise. If you get into a fight while playing pool you've got yourself a staff. There are sticks and stick like objects all over the place outside, so although you might not want to carry a weapon its usually quite easy to find something to use.

LEGEND Guest
    Does your style train weapons? No.
    Do you see any (street) applications for the weapons your art trains? No.
    Do you think your art should just train you to defend against weapons? No.

Dood...best weapon is your body...once again u stated that it's illegal for u to carry weapons which case is true...however EYE GOUGE the hell out of your opponent is a good weapon!

A

Badger Guest
    I agree with you but it is all a matter of personal preference.People can train whatever they want.
    Learning to use stick-type weapons are really good since there are lots of things available that can be used in the same way including a"stick".

;)

Badger

The Machado Philosophy:
    We respect everyone and every style of martial arts.We share what we know and are open to new ideas.Martial arts is not about
    fighting,but about lifestyle.Harmony is our g oal,hard training is our way..ê`

Badger Guest
    Wow! -Ish pretty much said what I did. :)

Badger

¨

The Machado Philosophy:
    We respect everyone and every style of martial arts.We share what we know and are open to new ideas.Martial arts is not about
    fighting,but about lifestyle.Harmony is our g oal,hard training is our way..ê`

shaolinboxer Guest
    Many martial arts were developed with weapons in mind...as a defense against them, tactic on how to use them...etc.

To understand the arts, and their development, sometimes it is necessary to study these weapons.

For example, I study Aikido, but I also study Muso Ryu Jodo and Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Bokkendo. All of the techinques in aikido can be found in the sword and stick play.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
    - Cat

Silumkid Guest
    There are several reasons to train weapons. One has been presented here already...how can you defend it if you don't understand it? Knowing how to use a weapon can give you greater understanding of someone else may be able to use it, where the weapon's "sweet spot" is. Knowing this can help you minimize or avoid taking damage from it. Weapons training is also a form of weight training, especially if you train with a heavy broadsword, monk's spade...

Besides, isn't training weapons defense weapons training? Someone has to know how to use it to train defense, right? Or does someone just throw a weapon on the floor and say "Defend against that!"

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

wu_de36 Guest
    People think the Japanese concept of metsubushi (method of blinding attackers)is dead or outmoded. Who carries little vials of blinding powders or smoke bombs? Metsubushi concepts can be used when learning how to use pepper spray against an attacker.

I train weapons for several reasons:

The first, and most persuasive, is that I find weapons, and their uses, fascinating.

The second is that they are good for physical conditioning. They improve grip and wrsit strength and improve dexterity and co-ordination. Do 30 minutes of nunchaku or sai and tell me how your hands feel.

The third is the conceptual knowledge I gain from training weapons that I can carry over to other improvised weapons. There are staffs and short sticks everywhere. Even more prevalent are flails and whips.

Improvised weapons are what a lot of Japanese weapons essentially are. People in power try to regulate the most efficient weapons. When that happens, people come up with new ways to defend themselves. I don't know my Chinese weapons history, but I'd guess that some of these weapons have similar backgrounds.

Modern day weapons such as the knife and handgun are important, but the walking stick and the cane will always get through the metal detector.

Ish Guest
    "Dood...best weapon is your body...once again u stated that it's illegal for u to carry weapons which case is true...however EYE GOUGE the hell out of your opponent is a good weapon!"

Are you trying to say that eye gougeing the hell out of someones eye is legal. where do you live cos i don't want to go there.

Chang Style Novice Guest
    I was gonna say something, but I think it's pretty well covered. So, I'll just recap -

1 - Strength and dexterity

2 - To defend oneself from armed attackers

3 - To be more effective with improvised weapons in the case of (2)

4 - For fun and historical value

All perfectly valid, I'd say.

wu_de36 Guest
    If it will save my life, or my loved one's, I'm not going to care if it's legal or not. I'll do it. I may try other options first, but if I'm about to die, I'm not going to say "Ohh, that was a good opening for an eye gouge. Too bad it's illegal. Maybe if my wife survives, she could write our congressman and try to get it legalized."

But then, all those lawful minded criminals who've been avoiding the illegal eye gouge would have carte blanche to eye gouge people at will.

WON'T SOMEONE PLEEEEAAAASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN????

KC Elbows Guest
    Using that argument, then you're better off training double sword, as if you're defending your home, you're not gonna say "I could have fought the attackers off if only my swords were legal". If someone breaks in my house and all I have to use is a quan dao, well hey, things are about to get chopped off, and I'll deal with the lawyers later.

Shaolin36 Guest
    Yes, my art trains weapons

Yes, I think there is a practicality.
    I think the chain whip is practical, it fits in you pocket. Also, as we all know the staff is very practical- If your fighting and there is any type of broom, mop or anythiing like that-well then, you have a staff.

Shaolin

Buby Guest
    Does your style train weapons? YES

Do you see any (street) applications for the weapons your art trains? Yes

Do you think your art should just train you to defend against weapons? No

I train in a traditional southern kung fu system and we have a couple of weapons which we train. It's understood from day one that you are not going to walk down the street with staff or kwan dao, but the weapons are still train anyway.

Why? Simple...They develop strength, speed, stamina, and cordination. Certain weapon forms train specific parts of the body, like the wrist, shoulders and etc. Sure I can lift weights for strength, but I prefer the traditional methods.
    Plus, I'm helping to keep the Yau Kung Mun tradition alive. I guess traditional methods are my cup of tea, but to each his/her own.

Bub