Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Training Weapons

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Anyone else keep up with weapons training?
    Do you use forms?
    I'll hold my Miao Dao, and go into the woods (my house is next to the woods), and chop down tree branches like a mad man.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I'll hold my Miao Dao, and go into the woods (my house is next to the woods), and chop down tree branches like a mad man.
    nice. The Miao Dao..that's the one that is reminiscent of a katana right?

SR- I used to use blunts on the heavy bag, but not so much anymore, just at first to make sure the attack was the right shape. It's hard on the bag and I've actually had a rattan staff splinter into a few pieces doing this. lol ...disaster.

good for eskrima sticks though. I prefer hardwhip to eskrima. I'm just a kung fu favouring jerk that way though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    The Miao Dao..that's the one that is reminiscent of a katana right?
    The best weapon to fight against zombies. It's long, heavy, and sharp. In the ancient time when Japanese pirates attacked Chinese coast line, the Japanese pirate held samuria sword. Chinese told the Japanses pirate, "You call that in your hands a sword? I'll show you what a real sword suppose to look like." The Chinese Maio Dao is much longer than a Japanese samuria sword.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8537/maiodao.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-25-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Move a little further north and they call that forestry....

Ok John, we want a video....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

I use 'weapons' mostly as training aids, for strength and principle.

knife follows hand in Pak Mei, a majority of our stuff works transparently holding a knife in reverse grip. The only way to really practice knife work is 1 on 1 with blunts, like in the Philippines.

Anybody ever played with one of those Electric shock blades?

Techniques for using short stick/dao, long stick, long pole (sabre vs fencing styles)

And I have a couple of 20 inch iron bars I use for 2 handed weapon training, like melon knives, double dao, er, ah, double iron bars....

Personally, I have this thing about not getting attached to any weapon, but rather core skills to make anything a weapon.

I've got some sticks covered in foam pipe insulation that we use to whack at each other on occasion.... Started training blocks, evasion and disarms...

I have to admit, Sifu isn't big on weapons. Knife, Staff, Sword.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Though I do know and teach forms for the traditional weapons, I have always emphasized the principles of their use. My students have always practiced sparring/fighting with every weapon they have learned.

As for modern combatives, I am an NRA pistol instructor and teach courses in home defense, dynamic entry and street tactics with both the pistol and AR-15 rifle.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Anybody ever played with one of those Electric shock blades?
    Yep, they're ok, they keep you honest
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Though I do know and teach forms for the traditional weapons, I have always emphasized the principles of their use. My students have always practiced sparring/fighting with every weapon they have learned.

As for modern combatives, I am an NRA pistol instructor and teach courses in home defense, dynamic entry and street tactics with both the pistol and AR-15 rifle.
    Good! A Practical shooter!
    We can't have weapons for home defense in Canada because of how our laws work.
    Basically, you cannot buy a weapon for self defense here.
    I know, I know, what can I say, we are an extremely peaceful society. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Good! A Practical shooter!
    We can't have weapons for home defense in Canada because of how our laws work.
    Basically, you cannot buy a weapon for self defense here.
    I know, I know, what can I say, we are an extremely peaceful society. lol
    You can, if you take the course, buy the certifications, present a reason for wanting a restricted firearm ( handgun) or just by a rifle or shotgun.
    I had a Winchester model 70 and Remington 700, both in .308 for a few years, but I lose the taste for shooting and sold them to a local gun shop about 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You can, if you take the course, buy the certifications, present a reason for wanting a restricted firearm ( handgun) or just by a rifle or shotgun.
    I had a Winchester model 70 and Remington 700, both in .308 for a few years, but I lose the taste for shooting and sold them to a local gun shop about 10 years ago.
    Yes, you can own the weapons, but you will not be sold them if you say "it's for self defense" as that is not a valid reason for gun ownership due to it being contradictory to our rule of law.

However, if you shoot someone who is trying to harm you in your home, with your firearm, you will be charged with the shooting and will have to defend yourself under the reasonable force law.

It's very tricky here that way.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post

Nice! What's the point of learning a weapon if you can't really use it. One question..... When you say you spar and fight with weapons how do you actually do this? Is it with foam weapons or controlled drills? Just curious as I find it very difficult to spar with any intensity with weapons like BO or sticks. Drills are good but as we all know drills aren't fighting. I can't afford to keep knocking out sparring partners. Nobody will want to play!

Oh Canada! Does it make sense we can be charged for defending our home? Almost makes a guy want to move south.

I take tactical pistol and carbine course at the very least 2X a year. Never got into long range shooting. I shoot about 2-3X a month. I use to compete in IDPA and IPSC, but have not done any competition in the past 2 yrs. I need to get back. I have my concealed handgun license so in all honesty, for me that is my self defense. I will use my martial arts to get to my gun.

Also practice my Arnis sparodically whenever I can find a partner to work out with. This includes knife fighting.

In kung fu, although I practice applications of weapons form, we do not do any sparring with them unlike when I was in Ying Jow Pai.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Yes, you can own the weapons, but you will not be sold them if you say "it's for self defense" as that is not a valid reason for gun ownership due to it being contradictory to our rule of law.

However, if you shoot someone who is trying to harm you in your home, with your firearm, you will be charged with the shooting and will have to defend yourself under the reasonable force law.

It's very tricky here that way.
    That applies to restricted firearms (hand guns), you need to give a valid reason for owning one ( job for example), but it doesn't apply to rifles and shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That applies to restricted firearms (hand guns), you need to give a valid reason for owning one ( job for example), but it doesn't apply to rifles and shotguns.
    True, but if you use that rifle or shotgun to defend yourself, you will be charged with shooting whoever it is that you shot and the onus is on your to prove that you used reasonable force whilst blasting them wit da gun gun.

There's a few records of it here in canuckistan.

However, you can beat the daylights out of someone and tie them up, then call the police and have them arrested...although that will get you arrested as well.

It's weird here when it comes to defending yourself. the laws are highly prohibitive of any physical violence either perpetrated or defended against.

Physical violence is an extremely serious crime in Canada when it comes down to it and the tolerance is low. You can steal, you can cheat, you can defraud and the penalties are normal or low. But any act of violence will find you wishing you were someone else living a different life because soon enough, people who do that won't be able to get a pardon.

The Canadian attitude is that the person who resorts to violence is low minded and not trustworthy because they are incapable of restraining themselves. When people defend themselves with violence, that same regard is put onto them here.

There is simply zero tolerance as far as violence towards others goes. You get weirdness, but overall I think Canadian society is much more peaceful and safe than American society is in our major cities.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

True, but if you use that rifle or shotgun to defend yourself, you will be charged with shooting whoever it is that you shot and the onus is on your to prove that you used reasonable force whilst blasting them wit da gun gun.

There's a few records of it here in canuckistan.

However, you can beat the daylights out of someone and tie them up, then call the police and have them arrested...although that will get you arrested as well.

It's weird here when it comes to defending yourself. the laws are highly prohibitive of any physical violence either perpetrated or defended against.

Physical violence is an extremely serious crime in Canada when it comes down to it and the tolerance is low. You can steal, you can cheat, you can defraud and the penalties are normal or low. But any act of violence will find you wishing you were someone else living a different life because soon enough, people who do that won't be able to get a pardon.

The Canadian attitude is that the person who resorts to violence is low minded and not trustworthy because they are incapable of restraining themselves. When people defend themselves with violence, that same regard is put onto them here.

There is simply zero tolerance as far as violence towards others goes. You get weirdness, but overall I think Canadian society is much more peaceful and safe than American society is in our major cities.
    From my experience it tends to be dictated by the officers on the scene and one's attitude towards them and the perpatrator.
    I've seen this first hand with some bouncers being charged while other get a "good work" from some Cops.
    When and if it his the press, it also depends on who is writing the story.

Have you seen today's Toronto Sun headlines ?