Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Weapons

yep
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Originally posted by shaolin kungfu
    Does anyone here do knife sparring? With rubber knives of course.
    **** that's what I've been doing wrong train with rubber knives. I wish I had thought of that earlier and about about 3 training partners ago.
    Hope is the denial of reality.

We sail the seas, of negativity
    to banish kindness from this place
    (Sans scruples, sans humility)
    To behold the fierceness of wolves
    assailing ye saints thoroughly
    (Sans love, sans compassion)
    To behold the wails of thine in affright
    whilst evil preyeth upon thy hearts
    (Sans warmth, sans pity)
    To behold a world, darkly astir
    rising in madness and mystery
    (sans light, sans life)

Originally posted by rogue
    I also don't do excessive stick training for self defense as the **** things are hard to find when you need them, and as my sensei has said, "if you're looking for a stick you aint looking at your opponent".
    True. But we did a lot of quite effective training with things like rolled up glossy magazines (Fighting Arts International was a fave weapon of mine). If you got it tight enough it could deliver a nasty shock, or if thrust, it could cut or cause serious bruising and tearing.

Also used umbrellas, but don't want to sound like Steed...!

Rubber knives are good. Had a lot of training with wooden knives (tanbo) but these hurt too much when your friendly opponent is playing like a psycho. One guy we had would just jump on us and stab us wherever he could. Hurt !

Also had the rare chance during one of my aiki demos to my karate school, showing rather too well why I thought an angled block with a stick is better than a straight one... and the follow up of what to do when suddenly your one seemingly solid long bo becomes two dangerously splintered truncheons!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

www.fightingarts.com has a article that shows you how to make a maxim magazine into a sharp object by just folding it twice! For defending yourself vs arabic terrorists on an airplane of course. Co-workers enjoy this trick also!

strike!

Looking for Weapons Training in Maryland

Hi,

I am looking for someone in Maryland (Frederick or Montgomery Counties would be ideal, but not required) who can teach me some TCMA weapons.

I am interested in: Spear, Staff, 3-Section Staff.

I am interested in developing fighting skills, not winning tournaments.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

Dave Fulton

Well, if you want to expand that search to include filipino weapon systems, I'd be able to help you. Otherwise, there are probably better resources than me here.

Stuart B.

Out of curiosity, though, you want to develop real fighting skills with the spear and three-section staff? To what end?

(I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm just curious.)

Stuart B.

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the replies!

I am a student of the Filipino Martial Arts and certainly would welcome information from other FMA sources as well.

I have learned a little bit of FMA staff, but I wanted to expand what I know and a lot of the TCMA spear & staff methodology that I have seen seems closely related to my FMA staff, so I thought that TCMA might be a good place to start. I also know a very little bit of 3-Section Staff that my guro says he learned from TCMA long ago.

My motivations are somewhat academic ... and yet not ... I train with a FMA group in Frederick and we do a lot of full-contact weapons sparring ... think Dog Brothers®. I want to expand my repertoire in certain areas, so as to bring a little something "new" to the table.

Respectfully,

Dave Fulton

Dave,

Wow. I'm glad I asked then. I can completely understand wanting to explore it for academic reasons. I actually fenced in college for the same reason (because of the european fencing influence on FMA). And I agree with you about the chinese influence on FMA too.

Interesting.

After all that, I'm wishing I could be a little more useful to you. For FMA, there's Mike Krivka in Gaithersburg (JKD Concepts teacher). But if you've already got a group in Frederick, that probably doesn't help you much.

As for the longstaff, I hear ya. I suck with it. (Our teacher referred to it as the 'kawayan.')

Stuart B.

No problem Stuart.

Actually, I know Mike Krivka, but I do not think that he would be able to help with these particular weapons.

Thanks for your help!

Respectfully,

Dave Fulton

P.S. Out of curiosity, who was your FMA teacher?

Yeah, I figured you might know Mike, as close as you are geographically. (I lived in Monty County myself not too long ago, by the way.) And I think you're right. I don't know him well, but I can't recall ever hearing about his prowess with traditional weaponry.

My FMA teachers: My first teachers were the Patalinghug family in Pasadena, Maryland. Doce Pares Eskrima. They run a school named The Kick Connection. After about six years there, I started training with Guro Pat Finley in Columbia, Maryland.

Stuart B.

Stuart,

You must know Masamichi Derin then, because I believe that he studied/studies with the Patalinghug family too.

Masamichi came to a few of our seminars in Frederick, but a haven't seen him in a few years.

Dave Fulton.

Actually, I'm afraid I don't. I trained there about 10 years ago now. I stop by to visit periodically. But I haven't been there on a regular basis since 1993.

I've been meaning to visit Guro Carlos though. Sometime soon, I hope.

Stuart B.

I don't know if this school still exists or not, but there used to be a Kung Fu school on Georgia Ave in Wheaton called "Flying Dragon". I think they used to teach chinese weapons (its been years, so don't quote me on this).

The only other referral I can think of is Sifu Dennis Brown on Colesville Road in Silver Spring. I believe he teaches Wushu, but I understand that he also does some weapons.

Its worth a shot, anyway. If nothing else, perhaps you could get a referral?

Khun Kao

I think they're both still operating. The Flying Dragon school is Tai Yim's fut gar school, I believe.