Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best Art

The Best Art

Hey guys,

i know that i'm probably going to get disapproved looks for asking this question but:

what is the best martial art with regard to effectiveness in street fighting.

I know you guys are going to say that it depends on the person, not the art, and i do understand that.

but i would like to know, taking other factors to be constant (if presumably you could) which martial art practitionar would win. this is if all of them we are comparing are of average skill in their own martial art.

for example, and average boxer and and average wing chunner..

so overall, which martial art would win. (if you could only pick one)

it would be great if you guys just picked one and explained why it would win..

really hope you guys can help me out here.

shaun

Ranges:

Punching
    Kicking
    Kneeing
    Elbowing
    Head butt
    Grappling high
    Grappling medium
    Ground fighting

A basic guide that ive written above is one that you could begin your combat observations on. In fighting you will need to address these ranges because at any time a fighter could ask you to be in that range to fight him, if you are not prepared, you are likely to panic or not know how to fight and you could lose. So it is essential to address these ranges.

Understanding what art is best is different for each person. You need to make your own observations on combat, to understand which arts are effective in your eyes and which arts are not. I would start with observing combat ring sports, as they are tried and tested in the ring. In seeing how these work, you get an idea of what works in combat, what positions to stay out of, and what doesnt work.

www.sherdog.com

Go to this address and look in the video section. Observe the many clippings they have their of fighters doing their thing. Take a note pad and pen with you too when you are watching and observe:

Skills/technique
    Principals
    Qualities
    Tactics

And see for yourself. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Void Boxing; 06-18-2003 at 11:38 PM.
    Michael Johnson

The best thing for street fighting is street fighting. Why do something related to it when you can do it?

Wise words.

Obviously a man of steel.

Spend a long time inside CG?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Ha! no time, and not a man of steel either. Just like obvious answers.

Originally posted by Cashier Graham
    The best thing for street fighting is street fighting. Why do something related to it when you can do it?
    So according to that logic, the best way to train how to evade being shot is to get someone to shoot at you? The best way to learn how to handle car accidents is to get into one?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

In street fighting you have a measure of control in your examples you do not.

Only a fool relies purely on logic you must have some common sense as well joedoe.

I wouldn't recommend doing street fighting in order to learn it but that would be the most effective way.

The best style for street fighting, that is really up to the practioner. I mean any style can practically be used in a street fight if you just train hard enough. The determining factor is when the real fight comes, "How are you going to handle the attack?". Most people usually panic and get hit becuase they hesistated. Every good martial artist will work in some way to prevent that hesistation, e.g.. bridging or countering the hit. To defend how my arguement saying any style practically works. I will try to the best of my ability respond to the same attack using different MAs.

Karate- dodge, then front kick to the groin, punch in the jaw and then finish with the temple.

TKD- as the person punches, round house kick to the throat, and then straight kick to the stomach.

Kung Fu (Hung Gar)- use a crane hand to hit the radial bone of the striker, than use chin na to grab his hand, tiger palm to the groin and then claw eyes.

Kung Fu (Sansoo)- using a elbow strike, then chop the throat, rake the eyes, and punch the sternum.

Kung Fu (Wing Tsun)- block with one hand, and then trap with the other hand, low kick to the groin, 45 degree punch to the ribs and then punch to the throat.

Each MA is capable of defend "in the street" from the same left punch. All MA train to defend fro mthe attacks, it depends how much you train and how much the moves have been instinctually etched into your mind. Becuase when you get scared in a real fight, you do what your body naturally does, you go with your instincts.

Whatever style one trains for the street, it has to:

1. deal with real life scenarios, not the "Mugger attacks with straight horizontal karate punch" imaginary situation.

2. understand what one can and cannot do from a legal situation

3. teach some form of improvised weapons (e.g. pen, chair, etc . . .)

4. focus on all aspects of combat, including groundfighting and multiple opponent scenarios

5. seek to liberate and maximizes the body's innate reflexes, not stunt them with unnatural form repetitions

6. KISS: keep it simple, stupid.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Shaun, along the line of for what you are looking.

Wing Chun would hit more because it deflects.

Wing Chun uses legs that boxing would not. The Wing Chuner could kick the knee of the average boxer.

However, this seems trap-like. What benefit do you get in eliminating factors, except that you can verify what you thought before you asked?
    Last edited by No_Know; 06-17-2003 at 01:06 PM.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Tae bo is killer stuff.
    K. Mark Hoover

Shaun,

What do you hope to gain from this question? Any answer you get is going to be a fallacy. Even if we all agreed that, say, xingyi was the best street style, that doesn't mean that you could go out and become the best simply by virtue of studying xingyi.

So... what are you looking for here?

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

The "average" boxer would win, because the "average" boxer trains daily in punching and being punched and not being punched. "Average" WC guys do low-level-low-contact chi sau and Sil Lum Tao. They do not practice hitting and being hit and not being hit with their hands, elbows, knees, and legs, or fingers or biting on a regular basis. The "average" boxer, in addition to being punched etc regularly, would have better conditioning because he probably wont fall into the sillyness surrounding TCMAs and Weightlifting, Pylometrics, Progressive & Full-contact sparring, Supplements, etc.

Now if you took two people who were aggressive and goal oriented when study-ing their "arts," I dont see how you can ever make any sort of reliable comparison that would hold up to any regular sort of combat.

Hows about average stick fighters or average joe w/knife?

strike!

The person with a gun would probably win

"the best way to train how to evade being shot is to get someone to shoot at you? The best way to learn how to handle car accidents is to get into car accidents?"

You hit the nail on the head with that one.... While neither instance is something an intelligent person would do, that basically answers itself... just change the ? to .