Thread: Where did BL get savate from?

Question Where did BL get savate from?

It is often mentioned that some savate techs was a part of the original Jun Fan curriculum, and that BL incorporated savate kicks and concepts into his fighting style. But where did BL learn these kicks from? I don't think there where any savate schools in the US in the 60s-early 70s..?

maybe he read a book,
    seriously though, bruce was very well read. and savate (its a spanish style right?) would have been accessible in the same way that pancration is.
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century

Savate is french and I think it was practised or at least well known in the states as I remember some comic heroes being credited with using this style.

Doc Savage comes to mind.

comic heroes? did'nt know that.
    I don't think bruce read comic books and copied the moves from there

Originally posted by chen zhen
    comic heroes? did'nt know that.
    I don't think bruce read comic books and copied the moves from there
    Neither do I, but Savate was a fairly common style at one time.

Savate is a French style not spanish and I am sure their were savate teachers here in the U.S. WAY before the 60's.

Going back to the French which stayed and settled in America.
    Regards

well there was french soldiers in the americas long before it was called the USA so anythings possible. :>
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century

bruce had books on savate in his library , were they came from who knows , but i rcall dan talking about this during a seminar i was at . he liked the trajectory and deceptivness of savate even had metal inserts put into some sneakers .
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com