Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: WT Fight Club

MERRYPRANKSTERR AND ALL THOSE WHO ADVOCATE SPARRING ARE CORRECT.

Of course you can spar as you learn. This is the way of the future and any WC'ers who dont, will become obsolete. In fact many already are they just dont know it yet....until they spar with someone who knocks their block off.

KWJ,

I can't be correct. I don't do WC.

Secondly, YOU can't be correct. If you spar, you're not doing REAL WC. See?
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    KWJ,

I can't be correct. I don't do WC.

Secondly, YOU can't be correct. If you spar, you're not doing REAL WC. See?
    Correct!...

MP,

That reminds me of an interesting logical dilemma. Mike Typhoon once asked Long Nose of the famous Wing Bird style: "how do I kill you?" Being a bad dude, he hastily added that if the answer is correct, then he will pound LN to death. If the answer is wrong then he will spar LN to death. Long Nose thought a long while and finally came up with an answer that completely neutralized MT's death wishes. What did he say? Mind you, MT already had selected one of the 1001 ways to kill this bird beside the two methods above.

Regards,
    Last edited by PaulH; 06-16-2003 at 02:58 PM.

MP...yeah I know...I have muddied the pure waters of WC by...sparring and fighting. Oh no. lol. Heaven forbid I train realistically so I can actually *gasp* fight. lol

Same arguement, same forum, same intelligent people who get it, same "pajama clan" livin in fantrasy land. Oh well.

Same old divides- when someone is interested in mma they sure should ask MP and KWJ for their advice.

Any takers to my million dollar brain teaser?

Originally posted by PaulH
    Any takers to my million dollar brain teaser?
    Ummmmmm, my guess is he didn't answer he just fought. MT was intent on fighting him, what would be the logic in answering as either way he was going to fight him to the death. So he shut up and fought or said that and did it. That is my answer.

Vicky
    "I've learned....
    That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it" (Andy Rooney)

Okay, Vicky. Since you're a nice lady I won't delay the answer to this. You are right in that Long Nose will die fighting either way, but that would be so uncool. Contrary to other styles, the Wing Bird practitioner depends heavily on brain muscle to defeat their enemy, so what he comes up is this answer: "I will die sparring to death!" Of course, MT would promptly reply: "No, no, you are wrong!" To that, LN ask: " Give me my just death, then..." "Spar to the death." "Ahem, did I say spar to the last man standing?" "Well, LN. You are right... okay, I will have to pound you, punk!" "Ahem, did you say that I am wrong" So you see, Vicky, MT could not kill Long Nose either way as it would contradict him logically. No right, no wrong which is what Wing Bird style is all about.

Regards,

Originally posted by KenWingJitsu
    MP...yeah I know...I have muddied the pure waters of WC by...sparring and fighting. Oh no. lol. Heaven forbid I train realistically so I can actually *gasp* fight. lol

Same arguement, same forum, same intelligent people who get it, same "pajama clan" livin in fantrasy land. Oh well.
    I think Yuanfen hit upon what the problem is but was unnoticed.
    Two fringes of thought: those who don't care about WC but spar and those who do care about WC but don't spar.

It is one thing to train realistically but it doesn't necessarily mean that *WC* is being trained realistically.

Like it or not, these clips are judged by WC people based on WC ability, not on how hard they are going. Even then, different WC schools have different perspectives on techniques and strategies.

Originally posted by PaulH
    Okay, Vicky. Since you're a nice lady I won't delay the answer to this. You are right in that Long Nose will die fighting either way, but that would be so uncool. Contrary to other styles, the Wing Bird practitioner depends heavily on brain muscle to defeat their enemy, so what he comes up is this answer: "I will die sparring to death!" Of course, MT would promptly reply: "No, no, you are wrong!" To that, LN ask: " Give me my just death, then..." "Spar to the death." "Ahem, did I say spar to the last man standing?" "Well, LN. You are right... okay, I will have to pound you, punk!" "Ahem, did you say that I am wrong" So you see, Vicky, MT could not kill Long Nose either way as it would contradict him logically. No right, no wrong which is what Wing Bird style is all about.

Regards,
    Cool, thanks Paul, for the answer and the compliment. I like the answer. Glad that I was sorta close too lol.

Regards,
    Vicky
    "I've learned....
    That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it" (Andy Rooney)

Hi Edmund,
    those who don't care about WC but spar and those who do care about WC but don't spar.
    What about those who do care about WC and do spar? Dang, there is always a grey area isn't there?

Personally, I care about WC, all of it, but I also believe in sparring as hard as possible without creating serious injury as a part of training (when you are ready for that), and believe when able and ready that competition/meetings/tournaments/whatever you want to call it, especially with mixed MA, is a VERY VERY good thing. The less structured the better as well IMO.
    HOWEVER, I do not believe that people who do not have that urge, or ability, should do it, any of it, and don't think bad of them if that is their choice.

Regards,
    Vicky
    "I've learned....

In my time doing Karate I sparred a lot. Now I dont spar but I feel as though I know 20 times more than I did. The sparring was probably the most interesting part of class and the most valuable.

There a certain reactions that become second nature from sparring that are really good.

Then there are some that are not good that sparring only makes worse.

Chi Sau among a hundred other things, I believe, is excellent for enforcing good habits and developing the ideal ways that you should react. In a controlled and in a safe way. Of course, as Yuanfen said there are varying degrees of intensity in Chi Sau.

Senario: You spar with your teacher/senior. Everytime you throw a strike he does something very skillful and drops you or inflicts pain.
    Fact: Above all things the mind will do anything to avoid pain.
    Result: Your mind will take control of your body and devlop bad habits to avoid the pain ie. retreat, or hesitant about striking yourself.

The same could happen in chi sau, if the teacher punched you hard everytime he found an opening. If you didnt quit the school you would develop some nervous tendancies.