Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jackie Chan underestimated

I never mentioned whether or not I thought I "could take Jackie Chan" or you. I simply pointed out that you're a ****head.
    Ah, well but that would be OT..

totally highjacking this ol' thread.

You know what needs to happen? A Robert Downey/Jackie Chan collab. Maybe throw Akki in there too.

AUG 4, 2015 @ 6:50 AM
    The World's Highest-Paid Actors 2015: Robert Downey Jr. Leads With $80 Million Haul

Natalie Robehmed ,FORBES STAFF
    I cover media and entertainment.

For the third year in a row, Robert Downey Jr.’s stratospheric $80 million payday is more than any other leading man on the planet, helping Iron Man punch $30 million above Hong Kong hero Jackie Chan’s second place haul.

Though China may be Chan’s cinematic stomping ground, the nation’s movie appetite propelled Downey’s Avengers: Age of Ultron to a $240 million gross in the People’s Republic alone, ensuring Downey topped the World’s Highest Paid Actors list. From Hollywood to Hong Kong and Bollywood, the ranking examines international stars’ earnings for the first truly global dollar tally of film’s flushest stars.

“I always look at the map… I think the world belongs to us. America belongs to me. China belongs to you,” said Chan, who makes a mint starring in East-West coproductions such as Dragon Blade and through Chan-brand extensions including merchandise and an eponymous cinema chain.

Though we have long looked at foreign actors starring in the U.S. films — Irishman Liam Neeson, Brit Daniel Craig and Australian Hugh Jackman have all made the Highest-Paid Actors list previously – we have never examined those working solely in international movie industries.

As a result, 12 newcomers join the ranking, five of whom collect their paychecks from Bollywood. Three of them are in the top 10: Amitabh Bachchan and Salman Khan rank at No. 7 with $33.5 million, just ahead of Akshay Kumar’s $32.5 million haul.

Six of the top 10 hail from the U.S., including Vin Diesel, ranked at No. 3, who earned a hefty $47 million thanks in part to the success of Furious 7. The most recent Diesel-fueled installment of the Fast and the Furious car franchise grossed $1.5 billion worldwide, 77% of that from beyond the borders of the United States and $400 million in China alone.

“The whole point [of The Fast and the Furious] was to diversify Hollywood and in some ways change the face of Hollywood,” Diesel told FORBES.

As U.S. and Canadian box office declines–down 5% to $10.4 billion between 2013 and 2014–the global film market continues to grow, notably in China, which jumped 34% to $4.8 billion. An increasingly international ticket booth needs stars like Diesel that can cross borders.

Or stars who can entertain couch potatoes. That’s the strategy for Adam Sandler, whose films have traditionally been popular with home audiences. Sandler this year signed on to make four films exclusively for Netflix, helping him pocket $41 million despite a dry recent box office run. That’s $9 million more than fellow funnyman Mark Wahlberg, who rounds out the top 10 with $32 million in earnings.

It also helps to have a good producer’s eye. Bradley Cooper, ranked at No. 4 with $41.5 million, produced and starred in American Sniper, which was directed by Clint Eastwood after Steven Spielberg passed on the military epic. Tom Cruise (No. 6; $40 million) is also a producer on the Mission: Impossible movies and is able to earn a ton based on how the blockbusters perform at the box office.

The 34 highest-paid actors, who hail from seven countries, earned a combined $941 million before taxes and fees between June 1, 2014 and June 1, 2015. Our list measures earnings before subtracting management fees and taxes; figures are based on data from Nielsen, Box Office Mojo and IMDB, as well as interviews with agents, managers, lawyers—and stars themselves. It only examines men–a separate list of highest-paid actresses will be published later.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

ttt42024

Jackie Chan, 69, Shocks Fans With Aged Appearance
    Could he have missed an appointment to dye his hair?
    Bryan Wong
    16 Mar 2024 at 22:06

Action superstar Jackie Chan has been thrilling movie fans for decades and is arguably one of the most famous stars in both Asia and Hollywood.

Even at 69, the actor is still fronting new projects though it seems audiences are starting to realise that time is taking a toll on him.

Jackie was all smiles while attending a recent event in Sichuan, China.

However, it wasn't lost on everyone how the star has aged, with his hair looking noticeably thinner and greyer.

It also didn’t help that Jackie’s face seemed lined with deep wrinkles while sporting a silvery-white beard on his chin.

Seeing as how he looked relatively fresher back in January, we think he either missed a hair dye appointment at a salon or he is gearing up for a movie role, right?

Well, Jackie is almost 70.

We somehow think a fresh hair colour will take years off.
    After pictures from the event were splashed online, shocked netizens took to the comments discussing how old Jackie now looks.

One commented, “I felt like crying when I saw the pictures", while another implored him to "retire and take a good rest".

We doubt he will take heed though.

Jackie is set to reprise his role as Mr Han in the upcoming Karate Kid 4.

He was also last seen looking quite youthful in a commercial with BTS’s V for an Indonesian investment company.

Jackie Chan with BTS's V for a commercial released earlier this month.
    Photos: 8World, Ed Wang/Xiao Hong Shu
    Given what Jackie has been through, he looks great for 69.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Why can't Jackie look the way he way he wants to look? I don't get this (especially East Asian) obsession with hair dying. He's turning 70 this year, not 40. IMO, Jackie has been the hardest-working person, who has paid the most dues over the longest span of time, in all of show business. He's earned the right to look however he wants.

BTW, that's hardly a beard.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-19-2024 at 11:07 AM.

I'm totally with you on that Jimbo

Jackie's almost a decade older than me and I wish I looked that good at my age now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well said, Sammo!

Actor Sammo Hung unhappy with comments on Jackie Chan’s 'old' appearance
    By AGENCY ENTERTAINMENT
    Tuesday, 19 Mar 2024
    10:00 AM MYT

Sammo Hung (left) defended Jackie Chan, saying what matters is staying healthy as one ages. Photos: TVB Entertainment News/Facebook, Weibo

Hong Kong action star Sammo Hung has defended fellow artiste Jackie Chan after some netizens disparaged Chan’s appearance.

Recent photos of Chan, 69, sporting a head of white hair and white facial hair while attending an event in China, had gone viral on Chinese social media, with some commenting that he looked visibily aged.

“Who doesn’t get old? What matters is staying healthy as one ages,” Hung, 72, said while attending the annual dinner and awards presentation held by the Hong Kong Film Directors’ Guild on March 15.

“Why did these people speak so badly of him? They act as if they won’t get old.”

Hung appeared at the event with a walking stick and was accompanied by his wife, former Hong Kong actress Joyce Godenzi, 58.

The actor and stunt choreographer went for a knee operation in 2017 and has been seen using a wheelchair or walking stick.

“My wife does not allow me to eat too much,” he told the media about his diet. “I can still eat fatty food, but have to give up starch.”

Hung said he still feels pain in his legs and does not know whether he should exercise.

The God Of War (2017) actor was formerly one of the Seven Little Fortunes, a troupe comprising Hung, Chan, Corey Yuen, Yuen Wah and three others who went to a Peking Opera school. They later became action heavyweights in the Hong Kong film industry.

“I practised martial arts from the age of nine until I was in my 50s. Should I continue to exercise in my 70s?” he said. “The only exercise I do now is moving my lips to eat.” – The Straits Times/Asia News Network

Sammo-Hung
    Jackie-Chan-underestimated
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips