Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern Wushu and "professional" actors...

Modern Wushu and "professional" actors...

Does anyone think that "normal" actors can learn to do the type of things that Jet Li and many other "wushu actors" do?

Actors like Jet Li and Jackie Chan devoted their lives to studying modern wushu. Now, we have people like Keanu Reeves trying to immitate them and, in my opinion, aren't doing a very good job.

Thoughts, comments?
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

I don't think that they can emulate them easily.

Jet Li and Jackie Chan are on the top of the wushu performers below them is a huge mountain of other guys.

Keanu Reeves studied Movie-Fu for a few month.

Actors just need to look impressive enough to fool the average uninformed movie goer, if this is achieved with the aid of wires or CG it does not matter.

Those guys are bassically con-artists that pretend to be able to do or be certain things when they are not.

Cheers.

Jackie Chan is not a modern-wushu practicioner. He first studied Chinese-opera-Fu , and traditional styles.

Some people can, some people can't.

I'll tell my cruel body type theory. It all depends on the body type of an individual. Some people don't have the types of bodies to start doing gymnastics or hardcore changquan and ditangquan, even if they started at a young age. The ones who want to become the best need to have sports-oriented body types with an ability to quickly absorb what has been shown or taught and imitate body movements with maximum precision and grace.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Thumbs up

Chan probably ranks among those actors who seem to both do their own stunts and manage to look at least relatively believable,as far as that is possible in MA movies.

Imo Jet Li flicks and related "con-artist" stuff gets wire-flying enough to not be taken as any more than eye-candy for those interested,you cannot honestly think anyone would pull that off.
    If the trend keeps itīs ways,they could as well replace them with animated actors.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

and even the good ones are studying the real flashy stuff to the detriment of their real fighting skills
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

pretty much, yeah
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, Iīm just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

LOL at Kristoffer.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

I think the wirework thing and special effects is unnecessary and getting tired. imho growing old very fast for my own tastes. I'd prefer to see a more realistic approach to martial arts films to give people a truer understanding of what it's all about. I agree with Former Castleva where he says after a while they might as well just start animating the **** things, at least then it could be appreciated more as fantasy.
    I think wires and effects help when its total sci fi, but in Jet Li films Especially the american ones It sucks ..I mean it SUCKS , and I hope someone decides to focus on making a good movie based on reality sometime soon.

I hear "the bourne identity" had some fairly realistic Kali.

I could be wrong though.

Kali featured in movies sounds unrealistic in itself.

The earlied Jet Li films..although they did use some wires, had some pretty incredible feats.

For example, Li in a sitting crossed leg pose, turning to spin up and jumping into a Tornado kick. No wires used...that move is part of normal training...but it is VERY hard and definitely not done as fast or as high as Jet Li was able to do it...THAT was why he was a national champion.

The wires in China are not that big a thing. There is a tradition of Swordplay/Martial novels where the characters do amazing feats...and the wires there are just viewed as a way to display that aspect of the story.

The more trickery they use, however, the BETTER the storyline and acting had better be...otherwise, it would indeed get boring.

they really are two different things though, fighting and movie fighting. my teacher fought one of these guys. My teacher was a prison guard and fought in gambling halls throughtout asia like human ****fights basically. This other teacher stopped alot of his fighting stuff to study wushu in Hong kong, though he was really talented fighter. They fought, who the **** do you think won? Then again, who has the bigger paycheck? (by a couple of zeros!)
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Your teacher sounds like a badass

Anyone ever seen this jet li flick called "the master", where jet's sifu relocated to america and was selling chinese herbs and practicing traditional medicine. and this american guy who learnt from him for a while,as well as others (we assume) came back to challenge him , and destroyed his store. jet li comes to visit america in search of his sifu , but finds the shop abandoned. He befriends three latino thieves and teaches them to use sticks. Yadda yadda yadda... that show. Well I can appreciate it cause it had no wires...(it also had horrible acting and dubbing, and was definately definately straight outta the 80's)

If they do more of that type of stuff, without making it seem like every bum on the face of the earth is a martial arts guru and has undergone decades of training just to pull off the stuff they do. And if they write better plots and get better actors...So there will be no more BulletProof Monks where people learn kungfu from martial arts cinema 70's films in an old movie theatre. I mean ...good grief Stiffler from American frikkin Pie.