Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Western" MA

i find that people who practice western martial arts can be just as annoying as those who practice eastern ones.

Annoyance is a universal thing.

what's your point?

Originally posted by chen zhen
    Americans always talk about "world-series in football"- but in reality it's just americans who play it.

And yes, football (soccer, to not confuse people ) is everyone else's football
    Sorry, I understand that I'm an arrogant american and no one beut arrogant americans appreciate American Football. Having said that, Baseball plays the World Series. American Football has the Superbowl. Technically, American Football is not including the rest of the world as silent participants.

BTW, football (american) is an excellent sport. The offensive and defensive line play is a study in leverage and technique that many martial artists would appreciate if they ever give it a try.

I'm off my soapbox now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I guess there is some things like pushing & running into people that is done in american football can have some application. Also some training-tools. But else I don't know...

Smile

I haven't followed this topic at all. But here's a link that has some interesting body linkage info.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

I guess..

thanks for the link

Originally posted by chen zhen
    I guess there is some things like pushing & running into people that is done in american football can have some application. Also some training-tools. But else I don't know...
    Training tools aside, stances and footwork are essetnial to an offensive lineman's technique. Weight distribution is also essential. For a defensive lineman, leverage and footwork are the key. Very judo like in finding the best way to off-balance the person so that you may get by them in the most effiecinet manner possible. Tackling is also a little more involved than just 'running into people.' Technique, leverage, and accuracy must all come together in a split second. Much like a good takedown or throw.

I was a better american football player because of my martial arts background. Several professional players cross-train in MA to improve their technique and performance on the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

8. Thumbs up

"stop and smell the FLOWER" I conclude.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

this thread should be ressurected, every now and then.
    is there any record of aztek or mayan martial art?
    not that tainos martial arts were effective against spanish rifles and such delights, but then again whose martial art is?

also , any info on Kaliparayiit (sp) I came across some sites back in the day but nothing spectacular.

Stacey Guest
    Savate French?

Around the same time the French were making Savate there was considerable Chinese/Asian influence. The first acupuncturists were apearing in France. Now there are French energetics which is a simplification of the 5 element theory. The French have been asiaphiles for some time.

That said, savate sucks. Bad TKD at best.

well considering the origins of modern day savate- i.e, french sailors- I somehow doubt that the chinese had much to do with it. but since you see TKD as being "crap" as well, it just shows how narrow minded you are, so of course you wouldn't have any idea.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

12. Thumbs up

Those native American arts sure sound compelling but I suspect they went extinct with the tribes,unfortunately.

Greek art,pankration?