Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Western" MA

Not all of the countries listed could be called "western", and it was incomplete. there's more styles in france, America, etc.
    but the african/middle-eastern ones was interesting to see. I'll look them up.

2. Thumbs up

I did comment on geographical fallacy at "brink".

Certainly there are many more styles,including extinct ones.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Russia was not mentioned..!

4. Thumbs up

Neither Finland.

Russia should have been an easy one,with infamous Systemaīs and all.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Is'nt Sambo/Sombo russian?

6. Thumbs up

It is.

-FC, summer of 2006-

There's a wide field of historical western bladed arts.

I heard once the Samurai could'nt defend against the portuguese invaders, because of difference in fencing style. The samurai was'nt used to straight, dotting swordstrokes

9. Thumbs up

Some put it that samuraiīs technique was unscientific,and also I think itīs been said that plenty of,errr Philippine etc. knife/weapon work originates from Spain.

-FC, summer of 2006-

Originally posted by Former castleva
    I think itīs been said that plenty of,errr Philippine etc. knife/weapon work originates from Spain.
    http://www.swordhistory.com/excerpts/eskrima.html

11. Thumbs up

Thanks.

I was not quite patient enough to read the whole article,might get back to it a bit later.
    Anyway,what I said derives from what I remember one particular blade expert to have said (referring to a modern combat applications source,canīt remember where)
    Basically he said that,if I remember right,that Philippines etc. get a lot of respect for their stuff,when their western counterparts (and "ancestral" forms of some manner?) do not,that much.

-FC, summer of 2006-

There are also MA from Africa. I saw something on the discovery channel about it. They had competitive staff fights with all the men of the villages going against each other. looked like excellent tecnique, I'd like to know more about their training.

13. Thumbs up

Yeah.
    Theyīve got loads of arts.

I donīt know how distributed or sophisticated.

-FC, summer of 2006-

The staff work looked very sophisticated.
    Bless you

There's this new pirate-movie with Johnny Depp coming out soon, it's got lotsa western bladework in it, I think. Portuguese/Spanish.

.. or whatever, Just trying to start this thread up again..