Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Own art

Own art

How many of you have created your own approach to fighting? Created through your own research and collaboration of facts from reading, watching, practicing - how many of you have done this?......
    Michael Johnson

I think everyone does whether they know it or not.

strike!

So your own art, your own combat approach, just develops naturally over time anyway, interesting.......
    Michael Johnson

How deeply have you all looked into combat?.....
    Michael Johnson

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    "How many of you have created your own approach to fighting?"
    " Created through your own research and collaboration of facts from reading, watching, practicing - how many of you have done this?......"

[Hand-up] Me?

This might be along the lines of that for which you are looking. Not that anything was Created. Organized and realized perhaps. What I thought to be correct approaching if I had a Kung-Fu what would that be.

Approach to fighting? Different ways for different fights.

It's a paradox: Fighting lends itself to the form; but the form is more than fighting. But if you can see it in it, then that for that.

Basically, Ernie Moore Jr.'s Kung-Fu, Squirrel is merely relevant to breathing. Perhaps, at least some of it could be utilized in fighting .
    Last edited by No_Know; 06-13-2003 at 11:10 AM.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Blog Entries
    I think that a person might do a given art or set of arts as best they can and understand to, but not an art of their own. What they understand can develop. But until the principles change it's not a different art. Or some-such, perhaps.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

How deeply have you all looked into combat?.....
    25 years in the martial arts. Been teaching for most of them. Fought with hundreds of people from many styles. I'm an Officer in the Army. Compete in shooting competitions (IDPA).

I look into it a lot.

I wanted to join the military for that reason. You would get heaps of combat experience in there, different types of sparring, good pay to buy martial art equipment and so on, would have been a great life. **** illness that stopped me from getting in there.

Dark knight - what do you teach and study?.....
    Michael Johnson

Im still adding to my knowledge, Im always developing. I still teach, but its rare you ever meet an instructor that says he isnt still learning.

I have had the opportunity to work out with a lot of high ranking people in different styles.

The longer you are in the more you realize the less you know. And you realize how important the first thing you learned is extremely important.

In the Military we dont do a lot of hand to hand, you never give up your weapon, when you run out of ammo you still keep the M-16, its still your best bet.

You always hewr about the SEALS do X style, or Special Forces train with Y style, but thats outside of the normal training. They train primarily with weapons. The guys who claim to train the military do it in seminars or schools off base. Nothing standardized.

If you are in a firefight, your having a bad day, if you are in a firefight without a gun, you day is worse.

The Military is a great way to go in life, if you can Id recomend it, and there are always tons of places to workout. Not to mention great weight lifting facilities all over post that you can use for free.

What hand to hand combat do they teach you in the military?.....
    Michael Johnson

What hand to hand combat do they teach you in the military?.....
    its limited, they re-wrote the h2h book in 2002 ( http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/at...25.150/toc.htm )
    and the idea is OK, (BTW if you look at the photos you can see its based on BJJ, the banner in the background doesnt help) but it is not pushed.

In basic training you get some expsure, then after that its pretty much gone. But a soldiers day is full, they have limited time to train h2h, and when youn have to make a decision between common task training that is used in the battle field and h2h which is going to be a low priority.

Also, working out hard on h2h increases the chances of injuries, injuries take soldiers away from thier jobs, a comapny commander has to look at what activities will increase those chances.

Since the majority of the Army's jobs are combat support (communications, transportation, supply, band....) they have a low need for that type of training.

Combat troops dont face the enemy alone, and especially one on one. If you are being attacked, they are armed and in groups, in big wars that number will be thousands. You would never give up you weapon and go to empty had, fix bayonets and fight with it.

There are a few commands that will have some more h2h, but its not much and that depends on the First Sergeant and Commander.

For thousands of years wars have been fought, and the troops have weapons in their hands, thats the primary way to fight and the primary area of training.

Voidboxing,

Your profile lists 'void boxing' as your style. One that you created yourself. Which, I assume, prompted your question.

So what background went into you formulating your own style? Describe the process?

Cheers.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Isent Xing-i sometimes called void boxing?

Or JKD?

The "drills" and other daily activitys that you 'do' are what makes your 'art.'

Then sometimes you fight.
    strike!

Blog Entries
    So (needle-and-thread), Dark Knight, it might seem that weapon work is related to military and group fighting. Non-weapon is civilian (perhaps for the occupied population;or springing from oppressed peoples~). And while the civilian might upgrade damage potential to weapons (example:Okinawans), any military group is not likely to disengage an advantage of weapons.

Occupied people have always found weapons to fight with. The first thing an occupying force does is take all the weapons away. The people learn to fight with sticks, oars, tools, knives...

How many older combat styles do not have weapons as part of the style?