Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yang Style of Tai Chi Chuan not Good Enough from a Martial Aspect?

Yang Style of Tai Chi Chuan not Good Enough from a Martial Aspect?

Master Ma Hong is a nineteenth generation Chen Style practitioner. He has written numerous books and articles on the subjects of Chen T'ai Chi and internal power development. According to Master Ma Hong, the Yang style of tai chi chuan has lost its martial aspects. Here are some quotes from the interview:

MH: Now, as to the T'ai Chi that is popular these days, there are two kinds: one kind is too soft.

HJ: What kind is that?

MH: I'd rather not say. If I say, people might get upset. Without my saying, people should know which kind it is. Very slow, very soft. It has lost its martial aspects. Its basis. Originally, T'ai Chi Ch'uan was a martial art.

HJ: So, in your point of view, there's... what we do, Chen T'ai Chi, which is like the main stream, and there are also off-shoots from Chen T'ai Chi which are, in your opinion, too soft, placing more emphasis on health, holistic benefits rather than martial benefits? You are a firm believer in the martial aspects of the art?

MH:Now there are many different types of T'ai Chi which are very popular. Yang style, Wu style, Sun style, Chang style; many different types. But the character of each of these is different. Different in what way? In my opinion, there are some that tend to be too soft, and others which tend to be too hard. This is my opinion. I believe that which was taught by my teacher was just the right combination of hardness and softness. He spoke of Yin and Yang, T'ai Chi Yin Yang. He said that T'ai Chi must have hard, soft must have fast and slow, have insubstantial and substantial, open and closed. Also it must have... oh, there's just so much..., "I, Ch'i, Li", all of these must be combined together. That which is closed must be opened, and that which is opened must be closed. Entirely open is not good, and entirely closed is not good. (Demonstrates posture examples) Therefore I believe that which was transmitted by my teacher was more fitting to what was the original face of T'ai Chi Ch'uan.

HJ: In your opinion, as to those styles of T'ai Chi which are now very popular, why do they not fah jing in their solo forms practice?

MH:Originally, in Yang style and Wu style, they also used to practice fah jing. When Yang passed the style on to his son, they still would fah jing. But then, from the third generation on - Yang's third generation, Wu's second generation - they no longer practiced fah jing. After the Manchurians unified China, the nobles who practiced were unwilling to expend that kind of energy; they were interested purely in the "health" aspects of the art. So they got rid of these stricter requirements and softened everything. But the Chen style is the oldest, the most ancient. So it still contains a richness of martial content. Hsing I ch'uan is the same. Some people practice it very softly and cannot fah jing. Then there are others who practice it very hard, with a lot of strength. That just comes from different practitioners, different lineages.

Here is the link for those interested in the rest of the interview:

http://www.hsing-i.com/hsing-i_journal/ma.html

I like to see this Master Ma Hong mix it up with William C. C. Chen and then see what he thinks about the Yang style being too soft. While Master Ma Hong makes some valid points others are not justified IMO.
    “If you open yourself to loss, you are at one with loss, and you can accept it completely.”
    - Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching Chapter 23

I must say I got plenty of respect for Ma Hong.

And I feel that I agree with him that too much TCC (Yang) is too soft.

Naturally there will be the exceptions like
    William C.C. Chen, but lets face it Yang is the most widely practiced style and has few people like him.

Also I need to add that too often the beijing forms are sold as Yang, and that there are harder sub-styles within Yang.

Having done a bit of both for me Chen feels more like a Martial Art, maybe it has to do with the way I was taught in both schools.

I am not saying that Yang lacks those harder elements, just that it is often misunderstood and taught wrong.

Cheers.

Interesting. The Yang form itself does lacks Fahjing elements that the Chen style incorporates. However, Fajing is displayed in push hands which I believe was invented by Yang Lu-chang the founder of the Yang style.
    “If you open yourself to loss, you are at one with loss, and you can accept it completely.”
    - Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching Chapter 23

Originally posted by Empty Fist
    Interesting. The Yang form itself does lacks Fahjing elements that the Chen style incorporates. However, Fajing is displayed in push hands which I believe was invented by Yang Lu-chang the founder of the Yang style.
    Hmmm, interesting Chen is famous for it's push hands and the Tui Shou tourney in Chen Village.

IMHO, ALL tjq performed at a certain level should look the same and have the same qualities.

I have seen some of our senior Yang students perform the forms with Fa-Jing and even foot stomping.

One of our newest student in the Chen class studied for 8yrs in Taiwan and his TJQ doesn't differ much in quality and principles from ours( Fa-jing et al).

Cheers.

Greetings..

I couldn't help but read between the lines and hear Master Hong chanting the usual mantra.. "my style's better than yours".. aside from that, he's pretty much right.. there is a pervasive "feel good" group that has gravitated to the Yang style.. However, that doesn't diminish the potential inherent to Yang Style's lineage.. Too few people were taught the martial applications and fewer are capable of "seeing the obvious" right in the form.. But, it's all there.. Probably, due to lack of real martial backgrounds, many practicioners are unaware of the devastating applications in each movement.. Sometimes people pass Yang up for the more apparent applications of Chen, Bagua, Hsing I, etc.. After 15 years of Yang training and 11 years of Chen, i find both to be equally effective as Martial Arts.. admittedly, i do sprinkle liberal amounts of ChinNa into the applications, but i feel it's appropriate, Tai Chi and ChinNa are natural partners..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Ma Hong is my grand-teacher so know where this comes from .

Ma Hong lives a city not too far south of Beijing. What Taiji is the most popular in that region? The Yang style, particularly that of YZD. Do YZD and his grandson Yang Jun teach lots of martial arts in their seminars? Not really, its all about the form. Ma Hong would never name names, but it is clear to me that it is YZD, and the wushu variants he is refering to.

I feel that you can find much more martially focussed Yang style in North America than in China, but thats a long way from Ma Hong. If someone mentioned Wm CC Chen to Ma Hong he'd say "Who?" The Chinese don't look over here for skills to match themselves against. They are still the Middle Kingdom, after all, though it may be hard for my neighbours down in the uber-power of the USA to remember this.
    "The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai

The only people I've ever met who openly test and teach TCC fighting method are Yang style players. Haven't seen any Chen in the ring or on the mat yet.

oh, that's right...TCC is a 'killing art'. hello!
    Tai Chi is

Originally posted by Shooter
    The only people I've ever met who openly test and teach TCC fighting method are Yang style players.
    Don't know what Chen kwoon you been to, but that is not my experience.

Pls, go to Wayfarer publication site and see how few Videos and Books are available on Chen applications and so on. Than count the same for Yang style.

oh, that's right...TCC is a 'killing art'. hello!
    Don't know why you always need to add those remarks.

What 's your Yang style again and under who did you study?

10% of all TJQ Instructors only teach the real stuff, but 90% of all TJQ students study under those.
    Hmmm.
    Last edited by Laughing Cow; 06-14-2003 at 02:08 PM.

ok, I'll say it another way;

In my part of the world, I've yet to meet a Chen player (and I've met lots of them) who can throw down under any pushing format. I've yet to see or hear of a Chen player enter any kind of full-contact fighting event or compete in any open style sub-wrestling tournament.

Lots of Yang stylists are competing world-wide in various formats of full-contact fighting (san-shou/kickboxing, MMA, sub-wrestling) as a basic measure of their learning.

My "remark" is just to head off any responses which would excuse the validity of competitive fighting as a worthy avenue of pursuit in advancing one's learning.

Sorry, my lineage doesn't matter. I was taught to walk on my own legs and let what I know stand on it's own merits.
    Last edited by Shooter; 02-05-2011 at 04:31 PM.
    Tai Chi is

So you can't/won't even tell me what Yang style you studied.

Your type of competitions are not the only way to judge the effectiveness of a style and with your experience I would have assumed that you would have progressed more in your views about MA/styles and so on.
    Last edited by Laughing Cow; 06-14-2003 at 02:35 PM.

does a form having fa jing neccasarily make it more "martial"?
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Originally posted by jun_erh
    does a form having fa jing neccasarily make it more "martial"?
    Not neccesarily.

If this about Yang vs Chen, there are plenty of Yang styles still taught today that have Fa Jing in their forms.

If I remember correctly there are 10+ substyles withing Yang.

Cheers.

No I'm saying why is something considered more of a martial art because it is somewhat more muscular. I thought that was the type of thinking that tai chi (and also brazilian ju jitsu) was trying to get one away from.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Originally posted by jun_erh
    No I'm saying why is something considered more of a martial art because it is somewhat more muscular.
    I can't answer that one, but I would assume it would have to do with the modern, western mindset that bigger, tougher and stronger is better.

There is a saying:

Westerners learn with their mind, Asians learn with their body.

I thought that was the type of thinking that tai chi (and also brazilian ju jitsu) was trying to get one away from.
    Yes and no.

Chen was always 50/50 hard and soft, too many Yang people misinterpret softnes, relaxation and thus think that TJQ does not need strength, muscle and so on.

One thing that makes me cringe in most TJQ classes is when Sifu sez relax and the whole class go limp like bad seaweed.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Laughing Cow
    So you can't/won't even tell me what Yang style you studied.

What Yang Style? You mean like a style of a style? Yang is the style.