Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: There's Tripe in my food

Hybrid View

OT: There's Tripe in my food

I just ordered "Spicy Beef" from my favorite Szechuan place (inexplicably named 'formosa cafe').

It has tripe in it. AND, soft tendon. Now, I'm all for both, but a little warning would have been nice.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

And plenty on the forum, too!

I plead guilty, as charged.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Mmmmm .... triiiiiipe ... mmmaaarrrggghhh...
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

I'm into both Tripe and soft Tendon. However, I'm not sure I'd trust a restaurant to prepare tripe. If it's even a little off...yeach.

They are QUITE good. Best chinese restaurant I've ever been to, outside of Joe's Shanghai on Mott St in NYC.

Now I'm having "Peking Pork." It's an interesting sweet and sour concoction. Not that nasty over fried stuff mind you. I would swear they did use some ketchup in the sauce though (which is thin, and not red.)
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

Ah! I figured it out. NOT ketchup. Preserved Cabbage. Interesting. Most chinese restaurants in the U.S. probably wouldn't have the balls to serve this.

I'm looking forward to your posts about corn flakes with sliced bananas, MP.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I prefer my corn flakes plain. The spicy beef had a piney character. I think they used a healthy amount of Szechuan Peppercorn. Good stuff. I'd ask how they make it, but they'd lynch me for asking. The Peking Pork was short on salt. Otherwise, ok. Don't think I'll order any of it again.

The wonton soup is average. Weak stock. But, it's cantonese. I really shouldn't expect regional cooks to do well outside their region.

Thumbs up

Donīt tell me youīre gonna have a poor dog.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Well drop your plate and come to the midwest. Chinese food here used to be quite good. Now its Bubba Wang's Shi't load of Chinese Super Buffet. Even the old favorites now have a buffet and a mongolian wok. (ok those are ok) The only traditional asian food around is Thai or Vientamese.
    There is the Best resturant here in Tulsa called "Ri Le" on 91st and Yale. The owner is a pupil of Thint Nat Han (Living Buddah Living Christ) and makes the best vegatarian stuff around. Everything is so fresh and colorful.
    every other place in the state sucks with thick MSG laiden sauces. How much Tso's Chicken and meat sticks can a redneck eat. You would be suprised. Its the new home of the super fat in the state,,, all you can eat. Me, I can bearly choke down half a plate.
    At a boy Luther!!!!

Unhappy

I've noticed that chinese food outside China is really disgusting
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, Iīm just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I've noticed that chinese food outside China is really disgusting
    It can be, yeah.

Since I moved to Boston I've got a few more choices in Asian food, just go to Chinatown and pick a restaurant. Of course there's crappy restaurants in Chinatown too; best to go with a local. Before this I think the best area for Chinese food I've been to is Dallas TX. Orlando has a couple of decent places.

And ditto -- all you can eat Chinese buffet sucks.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

I was in London once and you really had to have the Indian and/ or Chinese food. The indigenous Bwitish Bwitain stuff was this boiled...stuff. Like pies with ham in them.

Cambells pepper pot soup has tripe in it.

In terms of corn flakes I go for raisin control: Instead of buying raisin bran, buy the raisins seperatly.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Mmm ... pie ... ham ...

Seriously, I had my first taste of Indian food in London ... walked into a restaurant not knowing what to expect; the waiter figured us for tourists instantly (is it difficult NOT to spot an American tourist?), explained the difference between a British "curry" and traditional Indian dishes, and helped us order a really excellent lunch. Not sure what everything was, except it was all vegetarian & there were lots of dipping sauces.

samantis- you live in Boston. I'm in Chinatown all the time. I'm known around the eatery, Silky Way, and some of the DVD stores. Do you go to that mantis school there on edinborough?
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu