Thread: Tai Tzu contact question

Tai Tzu contact question

Hello,
    I am currently trying to make some new contacts in the Tai Tzu world. Does anyone know of legit, authentic Tai Tzu masters or teachers?

If so, would it be possible to post or PM me the contact info?
    I don't speak Chinese, BUT, it would be helpful to have any and all contact info that I can on file.

Thanks,

RD
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 06-19-2003 at 09:30 AM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I'll ask my coach... he's been in CMA for over 50 years so he should know someone somewhere, lol.

Cool thanks.

I'm trying to do two things. One is add to my contact list, and two I'm specifically looking for someone that would be willing to send me video of the long form. Based on what I gather, it's somewhere between 512, and maybe 700 moves long. I have two sections of it documented now. In that lineage, it was suposedlly 16 sections long originally. Today there are only 6 left. I'm betting somewhere, someone has the whole thing, or at least a significant chunk of it (More than half). The two sections I have are about 64 moves each. If all 16 sections are that long, we have a 1024 move form. I doubt it's THAT long though. I'm betting most of the sections are 32 moves long, hence my estimate of 512. I'm guessing it's taught like the Kyu Yu Cheong 10 hand sets. You know, you learn the 10 forms as individual sets, and then in the end you do them all as one long set.

Also, I have heard the Liu Yun Qiao set was originally 300 moves long. I have 64 of it. I can't find anyone who believes it's that long though. It may have been in the Ming dynasty, but not today. If it exists, I'd like to get it documented for my video library.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Haerbin (HeilongJiang) Shaolin Taizu Men consists of

18 sections Long Fist, 24 Rows of Tantui, 32 Postures of Taizuquan and 6 Section Fist.

Interesting, can you describe the 6 Section Fist?

I'm assuming the 18 section Long Fist is the Long Form in the VCD you directed me to before? (Thank You for that BTW)

Is the 32 postures of Tai Tzu Chuan, the Shaolin Tai Tzu Chang Chuan seen commonly? or the Qi Jiguang form? (I have both now)

Also, the Chen Taiji guys have a form that is suposed to be very similar to the Qi Jiguang 32 move Tai Tzu Chang Chuan chart published in 1544 AD. What are your thoughts on that? Have you seen this form?
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 06-29-2003 at 06:49 AM.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Royal Dragon,

Ask Mantis108 in the Praying Mantis forum here on KFO. I believe in the Tai Chi Praying Mantis curriculum they have a set called Tai Tzu or Tai Jo. Is Tai Jo the same as Tai Tzu but a diverent dialect?

Taiwan Taizu

We just did a two-part series on Hung Men in Taiwan - their main style is Taizu and we did put the contacts in the end. You'll find that in our Jul Aug 2003 and May June 2003.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yes, I renewd my subscription because of those. Can I get you do do an artical on Mainland Tai Tzu? Specifically what the art consists of? It's kind of hard to pin down here in the US. Most branches are off shoots. The core original style is vertually unknown. In fact, there are guys claiming to be "Grandmasters" of the style, that are actually teaching modern Taiji systems in it's place. An artical, maybe even a two part one, detailing the Authentic lines would help alleviate the confusions.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Mainland Taizu

Thanks for your subscription renewal. For the rest of you - Here's where to subscribe! Let me know when your about to expire again and I'll look into the mainland

Seriously, the way I do research, I can't really do requests. Frankly I have my own personla field of research, mostly on Shaolin Temple as you all know, then I get these side projects which might catch my fancy like Cirque Du Soleil or something, plus I get the occasional business piece, like tournament coverage. Other pieces, like the Taiwan series, that all came out of our publisher, Gigi Oh. I just work with her to polish it up. So it's not like I go looking for stuff - it comes to me. But FWIW, I do keep an ear our for more exotic stuff - always looking for writers - and Taizu is definately something we'd be interested in.

The hung articles got really varied responses. Some people really got into it, others got lost by it. I thought it was most amuzing how the Canton Hung Gar people reacted to it.

There's more Taiwan to come. I think if you follow the whole Taiwan Tourist board project, it gives you an interesting perspective on the mags. IKF and BB both went too - so far we've put out like half a dozen articles from it - each has gotten really good response, probably since it's so traditional. So far, IKF just put out a piece on Taiwan sculptures. I've been waiting to see what else they will put out. I guess that's why Taiwan has only invited us back
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

How about Hong Kong?

As for articals, maybe Shaolin Master would be willing to contribute an artical on Tai tzu, he's right there and all.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Yeah, but it has to come from him.

I'm not going to solicit a writer for any project unless they've proven themselves with previous and recent contributions. It's just a bad idea. Most people can't write that well, even if they have good source material. No disrespect to SM.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips