Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First fight

First fight

hey all
    i've got one week, a buddy of mine has a brother who trains boxers, and he wants me to go three rounds with one of his guys. I've never boxed or fought before, what kind of training should I do. I think I got one up on a boxer cause i can switch from orthodox to southpaw, but I'm kinda nervous. any advice appreaciated!
    Bless you

Heavy bag, foot work, target practice and jump rope.

Almost forgot. Spar. But do so lightly for now--no sense getting hurt before the actual event.
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Thank you
    Bless you

I almost guarentee you that your biggest problem is going to be gas, unless you train pretty **** hard.

But it's too late to do anything about that.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

tell us how it went when its all over

jump rope, thats one of the most concise ways to train for boxing..
    It trains the speed of your footwork, while providing great cardio exercise. hit 2 birds with 1 stone type training.

Thanks all, greatly appeciated. I dont know why I accepted this invitation to fight, i'm peaceful and I practice CMA not boxing. Oh well its only going to be 3 rounds, and hell I can nain to a boxer and they wont know what to think.
    Bless you

"Only 3 rounds"

LOL famous last words.
    I Love It When They Call Me Pork Chop-pa

2 minutes can seem like an eternity when you are in the ring. Good luck.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

just knock 'em unconscious in the first 30 seconds, then spend the rest of the time waxing his body hair. when he wakes up, he'll have a headache, and a surprise.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

3 rounds..
    3 min x 3 with 15 sec rest between..
    that pretty crazy..
    thats as intense as un a mile in 4 flat.

The only thing you can do is hope the other guy is nice. If you don't know what you are doing and are going up against a trained boxer in a week, you are just as hurt as he wants you to be. Don't get it the ring with this guy if you think he might feel like hurting you.

Thumbs up

Good luck booty..

Oh, and don't forget: no fear. hope that helps.

Hi Bodhitree,

Not sure if you went into your match yet, but if you haven't, be sure to go in there and BE AGGRESSIVE! I've watched too many gongfu guys get beaten because they were nervous and held back and danced around. The second that bell rings, just walk right toward him and start fighting, and don't let up until you have to.

In short, focus all your energy into trying to kill the guy with your bare hands, but always stop at the last second. Especially since there's almost a 100% chance that he'll be treating you the same way. This is important: Don't build up your aggression by focusing on anger or something you hate, just realize that the other guy's trying to hurt you, so you have to take the fight to him and never let up. Think of it like it's your job, no emotions (don't even feel good when you're doing well).

If you haven't tried this already, be sure to feel the difference between having aggressive power (relentlessness with good technique) and "getting angry".

Of course, if this is supposed to be a friendly, light match, then ignore what I just said!

Hey BodhiTree,

It July now, so I guess you already fought. How did it go?

Just curious

wm