Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tae Kwon do sucks!

Originally posted by Liokault
    I have posted this before but I will post it again.

Here in the UK and in Oxford particulaly I feel that we have very good TKd. The only guy who gives me a run for my money in my class when we sparr is a TKD guy, he is the fastest guy I have ever seen and has been taught full contact TKD in a tough club for 12 years.

This same guy has knocked out several kung fu/san shou guys in full contact fights.

On the down side TKD has left him with tons of lasting injurys.
    It's actually true. In U.K. TKD has none of bad rep you hear in U.S. I'm quite sure there are bad TKD club out there in U.K. as well and they still claim 2000 years of history bull****. Having said it, most clubs I have seen do train hard. My friend took nearly 4-5 years to attain his black belt and last 2 years before attianing his black belt, he had to do his own training daily.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

Suntzu

thankfully... i didn't have that problem... most of my injuries are from san shou...
    LOL funnily enough what finaly retired him was dislocating his shoulder in our tai chi class! His last san shou fight saw his shoulder come out repeatedly.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

I have posted this before but I will post it again.

Here in the UK and in Oxford particulaly I feel that we have very good TKd. The only guy who gives me a run for my money in my class when we sparr is a TKD guy, he is the fastest guy I have ever seen and has been taught full contact TKD in a tough club for 12 years.

This same guy has knocked out several kung fu/san shou guys in full contact fights.

On the down side TKD has left him with tons of lasting injurys.
    Who's that then? Which federation was he in?

the first martial art i did was karate, for about 6 months
    then i did taekwondo for 2 years
    and now ive been doing kungfu for 1 year

taekwondo
    pros = excellent range of kicks, good "workout", flexibility, a bit of sparring experience

i can safely say it wasn't a complete system, then again what really qualifies as a complete system?

all in all, i feel much safer defending myself with kungfu than taekwondo

i got in a fight with a bigger "kickboxer" style guy a few years ago, used my taekwondo, kicked him in the ribs as hard as i could, nothing happened. then i tried to move in (or something) and got caught in a front gillotene choke hold, luckily managed to make him let go (pulling his hair or something) and yeah, ran like hell

this kinda messed me up for a whilst (feeling of uselessness, not being able to defend myself, etc) i found the biggest problem was my racing heartbeat, and not enough confidence to smash down his guard (and not knowing how to attack him!)

i praise kungfu for giving me back confidence (the style is very similar to southern praying mantis)

If i was in that situation again, i would have done things much differently.
    NAMELY, moved in very smoothly and agressively, smashed his guard down, and started smacking him around like a punching bag

I guess kungfu just has a more realistic approach to fighting, in my experience.

p.s. kungfu really does work well, but BJJ and wrestling is excellent if the guy is smaller and by himself
    Use attack as your indestructable spirit

Thumbs up

A convert to Kung fu-ism. excellent

p.s. kungfu really does work well, but BJJ and wrestling is excellent if the guy is smaller and by himself
    Works better if by himself, sure, but what art doesn't. But smaller? Wrong answer! Thanks for playing our game!
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 06-18-2003 at 04:18 AM.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Well if there's a Korean style I owuld take it's Hwa rang do. Tkd just got it's kicks form it but from what I've seen hwa rang do got's more like weapons,joint locks,oh and all sorts of limb breaking. Well supposedly it's the origin of all the Kroan arts
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Well if there's a Korean style I owuld take it's Hwa rang do. Tkd just got it's kicks form it but from what I've seen hwa rang do got's more like weapons,joint locks,oh and all sorts of limb breaking. Well supposedly it's the origin of all the Kroan arts

Properganda is a dangerouse thing.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

The very first Shaolin form I ever learned is harder to perform and more sophisticated than the Black Belt forms in TKD. I attend a TKD class from time to time, it is semi useful because there they work on boxing and Judo/jujitsu a lot. I think its like any other art, it's who's teaching it. The forms are definately not to smooth and dont have any value to combat.
    Bless you

Suntzu

LOL funnily enough what finaly retired him was dislocating his shoulder in our tai chi class! His last san shou fight saw his shoulder come out repeatedly.
    OUCH
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

The forms are definately not to smooth and dont have any value to combat.
    hmmmmm... i let that one slide...
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

I popped my shoulder COMPLETELY out of socket a month ago... Its still recovering, Gonna have to get surgery cause the muscles in back of my shoulder are torn, they are soft and squishy like bruised fruit now. Even when I flex... and when I flex it just really really hurts.

TKD forms - Crap. very rigid... Stupid blocks.... TKD suxors. Better by nothin, but not by much.
    Albeit, everyone Ive seen come to SD from TKD is very flexible, myself included.
    Gotta go with bodhitree on that one too... I hated doing forms in TKD, and when I got to SD, 1st form I learned I loved.... (took a 15th white crane seminar my 2nd week)

TKD training methods of doing many repetitions of kicks in the air and focussing on the "snap" sound that the uniform makes, encourages hyper-extension of the limbs. It develops your kicking ability fast, but IMO it will cause problems in the long run. I hurt my knee this way in TKD after 1.5 years and had to stop. Nowadays I would prefer to train those kicks slowly, or on a bag.

then again what really qualifies as a complete system?
    I'm surprised not one person jumped on this..
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I trained taekwondo for 5+ years without any injury to knees, etc. And we did lots of kicking in the air. I'm not suggesting that's a particularly useful training method. But it didn't do me any physical harm either. Nor do I personally know any taekwondoka who had this problem. Accidents are accidents. But I don't think that's an inherent problem in the training method.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.