Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What the world thinks of America

Interesting findings.

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Jun/06152...on_w/66319.asp

Many Misinformed About Iraq, Sept. 11 Attacks

By Frank Davies
    Knight Ridder News Service

WASHINGTON -- A third of the American public believes U.S. forces found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, according to a recent poll. And 22 percent said Iraq actually used chemical or biological weapons.
    Before the war, half of those polled in a survey said Iraqis were among the 19 hijackers on Sept. 11, 2001.
    But such weapons have not been found in Iraq, and were never used. Most of the Sept. 11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia. None of them were Iraqis.
    These results startled the pollsters who conducted and analyzed the surveys.
    "It's a striking finding," said Steve Kull, director of the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland, which asked the weapons questions during a May 14-18 poll of 1,256 respondents.
    He added, "Given the intensive news coverage and high levels of public attention, this level of misinformation suggests some Americans may be avoiding having an experience of cognitive dissonance."
    That is, having their beliefs conflict with the facts.
    Kull added that the poll's data showed that the mistaken belief that weapons of mass destruction had been found "is substantially greater among those who favored the war."
    Pollsters and political analysts see several reasons for the gaps between facts and beliefs: the public's short attention span on foreign news, fragmentary or conflicting media reports that lacked depth or skepticism, and White House efforts to sell war by oversimplifying the threat.
    Before the war, the U.S. media often reported as fact the assertions by the Bush administration that Iraq possessed large stockpiles of illegal weapons. CBS News in December reported how Bush officials were "threatening war against Iraq and its weapons of mass destruction."
    During and after the war, reports of weapons discoveries were often trumpeted on front pages, while follow-up stories debunking the "smoking gun" reports received less attention.
    "There were so many reports and claims before the war, it was easy to be confused," said Larry Hugick, chairman of Princeton Survey Research Associates. "But people expected the worst from [Iraqi President] Saddam Hussein and made connections based on the administration's policy."
    Bush has described the pre-emptive attack on Iraq as "one victory in the war on terror that began Sept. 11." Bush officials also claim that Iraq sheltered and helped al-Qaida operatives.
    "The public is susceptible to manipulation, and if they hear officials saying there is a strong connection between Iraq and al-Qaida terrorists, then they think there must be a connection," said Thomas Mann, a scholar at the Brookings Institution, a centrist-liberal think tank.
    While Bush critics see an effort to mislead the public, some analysts say Bush has been following a long presidential history of framing a foreign crisis for maximum domestic benefit.
    "I'm not going to defend the president, but a policy of pre-emptive attacks sure looks better after this country has been hit hard," said Sam Popkin, a polling expert at the University of California at San Diego who has advised Democratic candidates.
    Polls show strong support for Bush and the war, although 40 percent in the May survey found U.S. officials were "misleading" in some of their justifications for war. A majority, 55 percent, said they were not misleading.
    "People supported the war for national security reasons and that shifted to humanitarian reasons when they saw evidence of Saddam's atrocities," said Republican strategist Frank Luntz. "There's an assumption these weapons will be found because this guy was doing so many bad things."

we should drop a Geraldo on them

LOL!!!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

In a statistical model, a person might sample every hundredth "item" (in this case, a human's opinion) as an experimental unit. Considering the numbers involved, getting the opinions of 11,000 humans is the equivalent of using every 545,000th "item". It's safe to say that the poll was a complete waste of time (along with any other world-scale opinion poll). It's just not possible to poll enough people to have a totally unbiased model, which is too bad.

Marky.

Those polls are designed to work as an indicator of public opinions only.
    Funnily that poll co-incides with national polls done on the same subject.

Statitics by default are prone to error and mis-interpretation.

You will need atleast 3 independant polls to compare results and come to a conclusion.

Hi LC,

I understand what the poll is designed for, but it simply can't serve it's purpose. When they say "60% of those who were surveyed dislike the US", the fact that's being stated is "at least 1 out of every 909,100 people dislike the US". It's likely that many more than that dislike the US, but they didn't survey enough people to show that! They can't survey EVERYONE, but to survey 1/545,000th of a population and call a poll unbiased is just stupid.

I'm a mathematician, and one thing I CANNOT STAND is a faulty statistical model (which shows just how insane and boring I am!). =)

With a good number of experimental units (about 60 million, in this case), then we would be able to see if the hypothesis is acceptable or not. We wouldn't need two more polls, since the entire point of the model is to determine statistical significance. However, several polls would be useful if you couldn't trust the poll-takers to be unbiased (which I wouldn't, unless I was the one doing it.... in which case, no one else would trust me!).

Unfortunately, most people who are called upon to design experiments have absolutely no idea how to do it well!

I guess it doesn't matter, since we'll all believe what we want anyway. I don't believe ANY polls, even the ones that coincide with my point of view. There are just as many liars on my side of the game as there are on the other side, after all.

Marky.

Too true.

No disagreement from me.

LC,

D@mn.

What can we argue about now? =)

French Fries vs Freedom Fries??

Political arguments on here got boring too repetitive, you can already predict what other parties will say.

with an enviable economy
    America is being crucified

"Are you still down?" -Tupac Shakur
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Hey LC,

I thought all that started because France changed its name to Freedom!

Naah, it started because Bush got tired with the same old Menu and asked for a change of meals.

But the cook couldn't figure out to spell "pommes frites" and so renamed everything to "freedom".

BTW, did Bush ever receive the Bretzels that were collected for him in Europe, I think they collected about 4000.

People deny the facts because of their beliefs?

I've never heard of that before. It's amazing!

lol

p.s In one poll, 38% of Americans didn't believe that there actually was a moon landing. This poll was run in 1999.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

p.s In one poll, 38% of Americans didn't believe that there actually was a moon landing. This poll was run in 1999.

cheers
    That was when Fox was running all those paranormal/paranoia shows because the year 2000 was coming up They had special hour long shows on whether the moon landing was a hoax

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Originally posted by Budokan
    And while we're at it we need to keep a closer eye on those South American pygmies. I don't trust those little f*ckers, either, hiding as they do in their rain forests. Perhaps it's about time we scrape the rain forests from the face of the earth so we can see what those little runts have really been up to...

So sayeth Budokan.
    Suck my d!ck, little dirty wh0re
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA