Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woman Killed in Tough Man Competition ???

Trying to convice her to fight or not is not the issue to me. She was a grown woman and no one made her duke it out.

Women in toughman. I bet those gals are hot to trot.
    Regards

Somewhere along the way people have been taught they don't have to take responsibility for their actions, whether they sign a waiver, drive the wrong way down a one way street, cross against a light or stick a loaded shotgun in their mouths and are surprised in the last nanosecond of their life when they learn it was a stupid thing to do as their brains are splattered all over the wallpaper in a pretty oriental Rorschach-type pattern.

It's called thinning the herd and it's not necessarily a bad thing...
    The unfortunate aspect is the weasel lawyers who then prey on the remaining family members. Their motivation is entirely guided by monetary concerns, not any self-deluded high-minded concerns about the betterment of society.

Shakespeare was right when he said, "Kill all the lawyers." No one can ever convince me this would wouldn't be better without most of 'em.
    K. Mark Hoover

As much as I dispise lawyers and stupid lawsuits just remember that big business love to hear just this kind of talk so they can twist truth and continue produce defective products and services and make more money. FOUR deaths in three months???????????????? something stinks here. I make my living with firearms and was a former member of the NRA. I am always recieving material from the gun industry to help us get litigation to prevent us from getting lawsuits for violent acts and accidents committed by other people. Sounds legit on the surface but deep in that legislation there is a loophole that says ALL lawsuits including defective products. So if your brand new glock blows in your face you will have no recourse to compensation. Am I right or wrong Judge Pen??? Big business does everything it can to build unlevel playing feilds against the little guy all in the name of the all mighty dollar.
    Lead, follow, or get outta the way!

We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.--George Orwell

Adfinem terram // Fidelis tamquam post mortem

Originally posted by tsunami surfer
    Am I right or wrong Judge Pen??? Big business does everything it can to build unlevel playing feilds against the little guy all in the name of the all mighty dollar.
    You are right; yes they do. Some Plaintiff's attorneys do everything they can to squeeze money out of big business and insurance companies as well through a legitimized form of blackmail. Which is more wrong? Ideally, the law balances these two competing evil interests for something that approaches justice. Sometimes it works.

Sometimes I tell the insurance companies that the claims/injuries are legitimate. We should pay them. Sometimes I tell them that the plaintiff is lying and gold-digging and we should try the case. Sometimes they listen to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Shhh! Geniuses at work...

Insurance companies. Oh, brother, don't get me started. My wife works for an insurance company and last year they paid out a claim to a pregnant man.
    K. Mark Hoover

Re: Shhh! Geniuses at work...

Originally posted by Budokan
    Insurance companies. Oh, brother, don't get me started. My wife works for an insurance company and last year they paid out a claim to a pregnant man.
    they must have thought it would be cheaper to pay than to defend the claim. Smewhere an associate attorney working this file is saying "but I could have won that case!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

My woman sumbits claims from a hospital to medical insurance companies, and they do everything within their power not to pay a claim, including changing forms right before the end of the fiscal year and rejecting all claims made on old forms so that they can pad their earnings for the year.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

OK. How does dropping dead from an aneurysm(or whatever) make you a stupid person? If one of you guys dies in a freakish push hands accident, would you want people to say "That guy was an idiot, he should have stayed at home wrapped in bubble wrap drinking soup through a straw." No, maybe not.

The woman had guts to stand up and fight, we should respect that. It's not like she was playing chicken with a train. Hitting each other with big padded gloves looks pretty safe if no one tells you that 4 people have died from it this year. And yes, I have heard (might be bull****, might not be) that they were actively looking for extra fighters and playing down the danger. Does that make her death the promoter's fault? No, but like I said, I won't be shedding any tears if the guy who profits from this stuff has to give some money to her kids.
    "This amazing video will cover several never-before-revealed secrets of Combat Conditioning as well as the master keys to George W. Bush being able to stand proud and tall after defeating Saddam Hussein in a no-holds-barred fight. Order your copy today. Only $29.95 plus $7 S&H U.S. "

http://www.bush-saddam.com/

If she died from an aneurysm that is one thing, I didn't see that mentioned in the article however. I fthis is the case then it's sad and too bad. If it is a case where some idiot got into something he or she wasn't prepared for and can't accept responsibility for it, then take a flying leap.

Yeah! And those drunks and crackheads in the "Bumfight" videos got what was comin' to 'em, too! They took the $50!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

"If she died from an aneurysm that is one thing, I didn't see that mentioned in the article however. I fthis is the case then it's sad and too bad. If it is a case where some idiot got into something he or she wasn't prepared for and can't accept responsibility for it, then take a flying leap. "

What do you think she died from? OK, maybe it was a haematoma, what's the difference? How the hell do you prepare for your brain swelling up/bleeding inside your skull? Anyway it's not a matter of her "accepting responsibility," SHE'S DEAD. Maybe the guy who makes money out of this should take responsibility for the fact that one of his meal tickets just dropped dead and do something nice for her kids? I don't think he's necessarily legally liable, I just think he's a jerk if he doesn't.
    "This amazing video will cover several never-before-revealed secrets of Combat Conditioning as well as the master keys to George W. Bush being able to stand proud and tall after defeating Saddam Hussein in a no-holds-barred fight. Order your copy today. Only $29.95 plus $7 S&H U.S. "

http://www.bush-saddam.com/

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    A - the other female fighter w/o a fight.

B - the waived entry fee

These two things tell me that the promoters did everything they could to get her to enter the fight.

C - The statement GMA made that they could tell on the tape that her ''gait'' indicated that she had taken a serious blow.

This tell's me that officials weren't doing there job. I ask again: Is it not a standard that fight promoters/officials protect the fighters? I'm not clear on this but am under the impression that pro Boxing and most of the legit MMA venues work under the premise of a good hard fight but let's not get anyone killed or later develope Parkinson's.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Ultimately, the decision to step in the ring was still her own. If waiving the entry fee was such an enticement, then why didn't every other woman in the place step up?

If I go to a bar and they have a happy hour, then I proceed to get drunk and fall over and hurt myself, does that mean that the bar is responsible for my decision to get drunk? I don't think so.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

I have read threads about this on a variety of Boards.
    One member on another boards trains next to the venue.

First of all, IMO, there should have been a few warning bells going off for her and her Hubby that attendet:

1.) Waiving of fee. What's was the reason for that. The organisers wanted a fight to draw the crowds.
    2.) Signing a waiver. Hollah, if it is THAT safe I don't need a waiver now do I.

First of all for any amateur to step into a ring to fight, usually will result in some sort of injury. They won't know how to roll with a punch, etc.

Lets see we tell our Kids not to fight in the street/school, but it is ok for their parents to step into a ring on short notice and tyke it out.

The Organisers been doing this for a long time, it is his business. He needs to get "dumb" people into the ring to fight. Hence he will do a lot of things to convince people to do so.
    Same way a ride operator at an amusement park will give free rides to a few girls to attract more customers.

Pity about the lawsuit, IMHO, it should be thrown out of court.

Originally posted by Oso

This tell's me that officials weren't doing there job. I ask again: Is it not a standard that fight promoters/officials protect the fighters? I'm not clear on this but am under the impression that pro Boxing and most of the legit MMA venues work under the premise of a good hard fight but let's not get anyone killed or later develope Parkinson's.
    Except those are fights are neither pro not legit MMA venues.

It is a guy that makes bucks of people hitting each other, same way other places do oil-wretling comps and so on.

Cheer.s