Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most difficult technique to teach and explain??

Most difficult technique to teach and explain??

Hi all - any thoughts on this?

IMHO Bong Sau is one that takes a lot of time and effort to explain in terms of usage, structure etc

What do you find is the most difficult to teach or maybe to put it another way, the most patience to teach???

Chi sau is the obvious one, but im thinking about techniques in particular.

Regards, Stu
    Ip Ching Ving Tsun in South Wales - www.swanseavingtsun.com

Hi Stu!
    I agree with you for Bong Sau!...It takes some times for beginners to really understand the drilling motion within Bong Sau and not just raise the elbow.

I have to add also : Not to overdo all the motions.Not to go out of the triangle/structure with motions.

Definately economy of motion...not allowing your elbow to come out...keeping it on your centre...
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Pok Yik Jeung, because the power is different than most other movements and many will try to use the shoulders to push rather than the horse and waist to turn. There's another one that's even harder, since it involves moving the bridges one way but sending the power another. Then there are different kinds of power placement movements that you really just have to work and work to feel no matter how much explination.

Patience is the most difficult technique to explain and teach.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Most difficult?

Bong, tan and fok
    and their relationships<g>

I would have to agree with Tom that patience is the hardest thing to teach. When you get new people and that goes for myself as well. We just want to jump right into the advanced things as fast as we can. It is a feeling like the Matrix movie just plug us in and in an instant we are Kung Fu masters. For me it was the wooden dummy that lured me in. All I wanted was to hit it. Then to my surprise I was learning how to properly use my goat herding stance and throw a proper punch and pak sau. While all the while drooling for the dummy. Then after touchng hands with senior students I knew That I had some ways to crawl before walking on the path. So I too feel that getting new students to learn patience in working their way up through the ranks is the hardest of all with the wide variety of people coming in to the kwoon to learn. We all have are different way of learning as well as a different way of upbringing wich requires a different approach at how you tell each person the same thing, they all hear it differently.

power in technique

Its hard to get across that true striking power requires less muscular grunt and more pivotal technique

WC has simple techniques.

For real complexity, try Eddie Bravo's "Twister" from BJJ.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Wink

Me to my 16 years old dauther: How was that exam?...
    Her: No problem!...Easy!
    Me: Oh! Oh!...

Where the energy/force/power comes from. This is, IMHO, related and runner up to Tom Kagan's "patience."

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

Originally posted by anerlich
    WC has simple techniques....
    I agree with anerlich. WC has simple techniques. What is most difficult to teach is the idea that WC is not about techniques. WC principles are more important than techniques. The techniques are just tools to apply those principles in real life.

I had a classmate who wanted to learn all the WC techniques. Our teacher told him that WC techniques is like money. If you hoard it & become a miser, it won't do you any good. You have to use the money in order to benefit from it.

It does not matter if you learn all WC techniques, or if you learn the deadliest & most difficult technique. What is more important is you can use those techniques that you have learned.
    Last edited by Wingman; 06-19-2003 at 06:25 PM.
    Defend where there is no attack; attack where there is no defense.

Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.

Originally posted by kj
    Where the energy/force/power comes from. This is, IMHO, related and runner up to Tom Kagan's "patience."

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo
    Hmmm. While agree with Tom Kagan and KJ, Yuanfen's statement says it best.
    Originally posted by Yuanfen

Most difficult?

Bong, tan and fok
    and their relationships<g>
    Once one masters those three, then everything else falls into place.

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

i find quite a few students have a problem with relaxation. i agree with others who've said that principles are hard to instill. without them there's no point to learn techniques.

Footwork is the hardest to teach as well as learn.
    Yet one of the most rewarding, It is good to see a student finally bring his tech. into motion.