Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: traditional stances and muscular failure

Mp if you said that to my face (which you wouldn't) I would punch your face in. Just thought you should know.

Everyone is so tough on the computer. With nothing better to do than sit around posting and talking **** they would never back up in real life.

You all know where I train come and test me. I love to fight. I love to train. You could go take your three weeks to recover from your"traditional" training. Then when I hand you your ass you can do your nerdy posting full time.

Anthony

judging from todays workout, i'll be able to add the next 10 sec to each stance on weds. woohoo.

Everyone is so tough on the computer. With nothing better to do than sit around posting and talking **** they would never back up in real life.
    Mp if you said that to my face (which you wouldn't) I would punch your face in.
    Then when I hand you your ass you can do your nerdy posting full time.

I have no idea who you are or where you train. But I'm sure you're very tough. Not too bright perhaps, or up on training/medical literature, but certainly very tough.

LOL @ ewallace. Absolutely classic!
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 06-21-2003 at 01:41 PM.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

there is no overtraining in chinese wushu. Just lazy students who don't know what they are getting into and people making excuses. Its all in the mind. Just keep pushing.

Reply]
    That's because the traditional manuals all say never to train more than 70% of your max. If you never push yourself past that, there's nothing to recover from, so you can train everyday almost.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 06-22-2003 at 05:28 PM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Stacey Guest
    thats ok to go 70% for practicing apps, but there are times when 100% is neccesary, even if it takes you a week to recover. These are times for learning a technique so it requires minimal muscular strength, breathing and chi...some things can only be learned on the breaking line.

Ultimately, you find a balance, your internal ability goes up and so you recover faster.

I was at a point once where I would hold stances until I had to crawl out of my kwoon and then be back at it the next day without any sourness. Then I would eat a pot of food, sleep, and do chi kung small circle in high school classes the next day.

The next day I was back at full force.

For stance training, train to song's. Stay for the durration. After Santana's smooth your fast 5 minutes and then 10 isn't as hard as climbing to 5. Keep going to symphonies are you kung fu will be ok

Hmf. I don't know if any of this adds tto anything...

I do a lot of zhan zuang practice. Currently I'm keeping to about 1/2 hour and climbing in stance work, then going on to other stuff.

I don't really look for muscular failure, per se, but there is a point where thats about to happen, and that is where the real learning begins for me, that turning point. If you don't burn to almost failure, then no learning takes place. Different styles advocate different things, however.

For the record, I think Becca nailed it, the rest is fluff...
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

FWIW

I have my students train their stances like so:

Horse: 30 seconds
    Hill Climbing, Lt/Rt: 15 seconds each side
    Cross/Twisted, Lt/Rt: 15 each side
    Crane: 15 each leg
    Cat: 15 each leg

I only require them to be able to add 10 seconds to the horse and 5 seconds to the others every 6 months or so. Naturally new folks aren't as low as they should be so the goal over the first 6 months is to really get the proper form and depth of stance. Then add time later.

oh, and the time increase goes up as well later on.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Angry

just FYI...

still hitting failure, ******!
    maybe i need to eat more? more qigong? the only qigong i do daily is a 5 min sitting after working out. i do get plenty of rest.

1:30 in the following stances, r/l gets 1:30 per side...

rhino looks at the moon (r/l)
    horse
    cat (r/l)
    bow and arrow (r/l)
    twisting (r/l)
    pointing to winner (r/l)
    searching for the sea (r/l)
    dull sickle reaps the rice (r/l)
    angel staring into mirror (r/l)
    angel gazes at the moon

At some point, most people plataue in endurence. Looks like you've hit it. You do this every day? Try taking two days of less time then try again. I have only had limited results with this, but sometimes doing something helps me keep on track. also, I find it easier to hold stances while doing something like chanting or reciting my style's code. Most of, though, I give myself time to develope. I try to keep away from setting concrete goals. Instead of saying "I want to be up to 2 minutes befor August" I say " I will develope as far as my body will allow."

becca,

yep, this is the stance portion of my daily workout.
    letting my body set my goals seems (to me) to run counter to the whole overcoming physical limits thing...
    as for listening to music, chanting, etc. during stances, i was taught to keep my mind empty during stances so i do that.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    take a day off, or even a week, from the hardcore training. don't stop training but chill for a week and just maintain.

rest is impotent.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

can't do that either, i'm about 1/4 of the way done with the snake turns over program (again) and trying to pace my stances with the program.
    sorry for the short and half assed posts, i'm trying to talk my gf on the phone at the same time.
    i want attention wah wah wah.
    just kidding.

Originally posted by neigung
    becca,

yep, this is the stance portion of my daily workout.
    letting my body set my goals seems (to me) to run counter to the whole overcoming physical limits thing...
    as for listening to music, chanting, etc. during stances, i was taught to keep my mind empty during stances so i do that.
    I can see were you are comming from. I tried the meathod I mentioned because of an interesting trend I noticed. Every time I plataued while trying to loose wieght, I would splurge for a couple days then realize what I did and get back on track. I noticed that every time, I would start loosing wieght again. So I tried it with strength training, and had some reasults. Small ones, yes, but enough to keep me from giving up or getting discouraged.

I never listen to music while training, but chanting is a meditation tool, and it helps to keep my mind focused on the five levels of meditation and not my legs burning. When done in the right frame of mind, reciting the code also helps with this. Keeping the mind free of all thought is what we consider the first level. I am currently working on level 2.

The five levels are and their goals are:
    1. Strong Mind = able to clear the mind at will and maintain it indefinantly
    2. Concentration = able to cary out simple tasks without loosing focus
    3. Control = Able to carry out all but the most difficult daily tasks
    4. Discipline = Able to maintain focus while engaging in mental persuits such as reading or holding a conversation.
    5. Self-Disipline = Able to maintain focus in any situation indefinantly

Originally posted by Oso
    rest is impotent.
    LOL.

(BTW, Mortal - you're a tool.)
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching