Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused about first free class I got.

Confused about first free class I got.

I got a free lesson in Wing Tsun the other day. I liked it, and am considering signing up, but I have some serious questions. Let's see what you guys think.

I go to the gym where they hold class, apparently they rent it two nights a week. Two guys are there, they are the teachers. A father and son. I asked if there were other students, and I was told that they had called in that night. (It was a regular class night, they weren't there especialy for me) O.K... So I got my free lesson. The son was teaching while the father watched. I got the feeling he was teaching his son to teach at the same time the son was teching me to fight.

I learned about chain punches and blocking, mostly. It was quite fun. After the lesson, the son sits down with me and shows me the paperwork. Now I am thinking that this is a scam, there are no other students, they just want my money. But I was wrong. There was no contract. Just a flat 60/month fee, quit any time you feel like it. There was no pressure at all. He explained the basics, and told me to think it over and give him a call.

So what do you think? My theory is maybe there are no other (or very few) students and they didn'y want to scare me off by telling me. They seemed very genuine when I was being taught, and didn't seem at all like they were out for my money. I am tempted to join for a month because I enjoyed the class so much. Wing Tsun seems to be very effective!

Every school needs a first student; besides, the number of students doesn't always correlate directly with the quality of instruction.

If you liked it then go again and see if more people show up. If not, you may be getting some primo one-on-one until more people do.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Sounds like a good school.
    If you liked it pursue it, and if you are the only student, or only a couple of others go there, you can get much more "specialized" training....
    Id say take another class or 2 at least if you enjoyed it, see what its really about.
    BTW, 60/mo aint bad at all.

Lots of schools are like this, and sometimes they are very good quality because of the attention you can get in smaller numbers. Ocassionally at a friend of mine's class only he and another student show up so its not uncommon for it to be that small. Did it seem like they were knowledgable? Try it for a month man youll probly like it.

It sounds fairly normal actually. most schools come and go, move around or rent space from other people. Some schools are larger or smaller. 60$ a month no long term contract is normal and the best way to go in case you decide it isn't for you.

2 people... That would be kinda cool actually...
    There were like 5 people in whitebelt class when i started, right now theres like 20 or 22 I believe.....

$60 ain't much for a month, especially if they're not locking you into a contract. If after a month you think it's crap, at least not much time and money went into it.

I'd go for it if I was wearing your shoes.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

BUT, whatever you do, DON'T VISIT THE WC FORUM FOR ANY REAL ANSWERS... you'll get stuck in lineage wars.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I agree that this looks like a pretty good opportunity to get some private lessons for little money (in general, private lessons can run up to $60/hr in general schools). Classes that don't have contracts generally will be small--people come and go.
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Good advice from all, especially merryprankster.

Go for it.

"I'd go for it if I was wearing your shoes."

If you were wearing MK's shoes you would have a nasty case athletes foot.

Merryprankster is correct!
    "Not to tire of learning is wisdom; not to weary of teaching is benevolence." -- Tzu-kung

Every school needs a first student; besides, the number of students doesn't always correlate directly with the quality of instruction.

Infact looking at the info on Mc dojos on this forum it could be said that quality of instruction is inverse to number of students.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

quality of instruction is inverse to number of students.
    depends on the type of school.....

not a direct association, but can serve as a guage...
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

The other popular argument alternatives are:

What really happened with Boztepe and Cheung

Define Chi Sao

the proper way to do SLT

Bruce Lee was/wasn't any good

There are others, but those are mighty popular.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli