Thread: Focus in Striking or no?

Question Focus in Striking or no?

Question:

When practicing your forms/sets/quan/kata (solo) do you use focus as you would in an actual strike? I've been toying around with varying speeds, little focus, to full power.

Any thoughts, suggestions, would be appreciated
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Re: Focus in Striking or no?

Originally posted by Vash
    Question:

When practicing your forms/sets/quan/kata (solo) do you use focus as you would in an actual strike? I've been toying around with varying speeds, little focus, to full power.

Any thoughts, suggestions, would be appreciated
    Yes. After you learn the form you should focus as you would in an actual strike. If you do not, then what is the purpose of the form?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I second JP's answer.
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

and i never use smileys.
    where's my beer?

Re: Re: Focus in Striking or no?

Originally posted by Judge Pen

Yes. After you learn the form you should focus as you would in an actual strike. If you do not, then what is the purpose of the form?
    Sorry, I think this is crap.

The focus of an 'actual' strike should be in your opponent or in some styles through your opponent! How can you focus as an actual strike when there is no opponent?!

If there is no opponent use the movement to practise what it was designed for: the purpose of the form is to train movement, the hand positions, the energy of your own motion... whatever... into your muscle memory.

Of course, some movements will end snappily or crisply. this is not focus. This is the end of a movement!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

When doing forms I think the primary focus should be intent... You have other exercises which develop power etc.

Yes, but again, intent in a fight leads your hand into somebody's face. Intent in a form leads to er... the end of the movement, with your body in the right positions...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Originally posted by Kempo Guy
    When doing forms I think the primary focus should be intent... You have other exercises which develop power etc.
    And you are talking about focus as in a mental objective whereas the poster was talking about focus as in the physical finishing point and energy of a punch: ie the focal point.

I think.

Exactly

Mat hit it on the head (no pun intended).
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

How can you focus as an actual strike when there is no opponent?!
    there should always be an opponent. if not a point in space works just as well .... space is what im after anyway.
    where's my beer?

Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity

there should always be an opponent. if not a point in space works just as well .... space is what im after anyway.
    They were talking about forms. There isn't always an opponent in forms...!

I think GDA is referring to 'visualizing' and opponent during the execution of forms... like I said, you need intent (mental imagery which translates to physical movement).

KG