Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ving Tsun, Wing Tsun, Wing Chun

HappyPuppy Guest

WC, WV, VT, what's the difference?

I've been taking Wing Chun Kung-Fu
    Anyways, I've heard all this talk about Wing Chun, Wing Tsun, WingTsun, and Ving Tsun. I'm just wondering what the difference is.

------------------
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    WOOFWOOFWOOFWOOF

flavour54take2sameperson Guest
    The spelling

Sihing73 Guest
    Hello,

As Flavour has indicated the major difference is in the spelling. They are all pretty much the same thing with minor differences in applications. Some are more strength oriented while some lean towards a more "soft" approach. Ving Tsun is the spelling of the earlier students and was the name apparetnly favored by Yip Man, he formed the "Ving Tsun Athletic Association" and used that spelling. However, the difference really comes from the fact that Wing Chun/Wing Tsun/Ving Tsun do not translate directly into English. Hence each spelling is correct. Wing Tsun, now Wingtsun, is a marketting monicor which is used to distinguish Leung Tings methods from the others. Moy Yot uses Ving Tsun and many of the other studnets of Yip Man seem to use Wing Chun. I would say that Wing Chun seems to be the most common spelling and most widely known. But, all are correct and all mean pretty much the same thing. Also, the other branches seem to use Wing Chun to identify themselves. There are others in addition to Yip Mans lineage. Can get confusing, eh [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Hope that helps. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Peace,

Dave

whippinghand Guest

difference

The difference is in what each is missing.

Anarcho Guest
    Whipping Hand is right. Individually they are each fairly powerful, but somehow lacking. When combined they form a super-style that is unbeatable. Just like Voltron. :p

Soup is good food.

Starbuck Guest

Which Voltron?

The lion Voltron or the vehicle Voltron?

<HR>"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform." - Mark Twain

IronFist Guest
    They're just having fun with the English language.

Wing Chun

Say "Chun at the very front of your mouth. The "ch" almost becomes a "ts." Wing Tsun.

In Sweedish, a V is pronounced like an English W.

Ving Tsun.

English get's stupid like that sometimes. It's like the word "Drunk." It's written d-r-u-n-k, but it's prounounced "Jrunk." Same thing with "Tree." Unless you say it at the tip of your mouth, it's going to be indistinguishable from "Chree."

Your linguistics lesson for the day is over :)

Iron

Anarcho Guest

Starbuck

The lion Voltron, I think. I'm not sure yet, I haven't achieved mastery.

Soup is good food.

EmptyCup Guest
    "Wing Chun" is the general spelling of the art in English. It is the so-called phonetic way of writing in English the Cantonese pronounciation.

"Wing Tsun" is sometimes used by the old Hong Kong students of Yip Man but nowadays it's usually "Ving Tsun" as in the Hong Kong Ving Tsun Athletic Association.

"Wingtsun" is the way Leung Ting's organization chooses to distinguish it's own altered brand of the art.

Ving Tsun, Wing Tsun, Wing Chun

I have been getting emails from my site regarding the spelling Wing Chun. Someone wrote angrily that I didn't even know the proper way to write Wing Tsun. So for some that don't know, (and I believe most do). Ving Tsun, Wing Tsun, Wing Chun are pronounced "Wing Chun" in Cantonese. The changes in spelling can reflect different WC organizations. HK was a British colony and the Brits used the initials WC for water closet, (toilet). So the initials WT were used instead of WC. For those who aren't sure please show the characters for Wing Chun to a Cantonese speaker and listen to how they pronounce them. You will hear, "Wing Chun", not Ving Tsun or Wing Tsun.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 06-20-2003 at 07:19 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Go train....

Thank you. I will.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Re: Ving Tsun, Wing Tsun, Wing Chun

Cantonese is a dying language. Three centuries ago when the art we practice was born, Cantonese had 10 distinct tones used to distinquish words. Today, spoken Cantonese is cut down to 6 tones. Language scholars bicker whether a 7th tone has been lost in the last half-century, but it doesn't matter. The Chinese government has sealed the fate of the Cantonese language and a 4 tone language from the north will all but destroy Cantonese in the next century. Cantonese, if it survives at all, will only be known to language scholars. But with a little luck, a few words and phrases will be preserved in Ving Tsun circles.

It was the 4th of July, 1967 (Ving Tsun Day) when the Ving Tsun Athletic Association filed its offical papers with the Hong Kong government. The spelling of the association's name was argued about up until that morning. Tsui Shong Tin's student Chi Nam Kwong is a language scholar. Ultimately his argument prevailed over everyone else and "Wing Chun" became "Ving Tsun." From that day forward, most all students of Yip Man who remained close to their Sifu adopted the new spelling to honor their Sifu's decision.

"Ving Tsun" is pronounced "Wing Chun." But, the new spelling was chosen specifically to honor the 10 tone language of a woman spoken by those who learned the art centuries before I was born. Today, our modern ears are not trained to make a distinction between "Ving" and "Wing" or "Tsun" and "Chun" and some of my brothers will insist there is no difference and the Yale romanization "Wing Chun" spelling is correct. They are right. But I am not so bold to do what they are able to and put "Wing Chun" on my school's sign.

I honor my Sifu by using "Ving Tsun" as he wanted. But, actually I honor my Sijo by using a spelling a little closer to maybe what she heard when people called out her name. I am ashamed to say my ears are deaf to the tonal difference that time has robbed from my native tongue. But I still want to honor her the best I am able. So, I write the transliteration of my Sijo's name as "Ving Tsun" even though when spoken to my ears it sounds wrong or even worse, I cannot hear the difference. Three centuries from now, when time robs my descendents of the entire language of Cantonese and they want to say out loud "Yong Chon" instead of "Wing Chun" or say something else, I can only hope they honor their Sijo by remembering her the same way Chi Nam Kwong remembered her and fight the way he fought to spell her name "Ving Tsun."

text excerpted from an unpublished manuscript, by Moy Yat, circa 1998.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

In Tuishanwah, which I guess will die as fast if not faster than Kwangchowwah or Heungkongwah, it does sound a little closer to "Ving Tsun" to my ear. Kwangchowwah sounds a little closer to "Wing Chun". I would guess Faatshanwah would be somewhere in the middle.

300 years ago, on the border of Wahnam and Szechuan, who knows what it sounded like?

Phil,

The Vietnamese learn WC from the Chinese there. The language mimics the Chinese sound and it sounds more closer to Ving Tsun. For the linguist, it spells as: Ving Xuan where the X is the equivalence of Ts.

Regards,