Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ving Tsun, Wing Tsun, Wing Chun

Vicky,

My sifu actually teaches just across the road from Lachine's 55th avenue (in Dorval near the runways). I'm about 10 min. from there in Pierrefonds (since the mega-merger, we're the borough of Pierrefonds/Senneville now -- St. Laurent is still St. Laurent due to its sprawling size). Good to know we have a fair number of at least partial Montrealers on here (makes up for all the Torontonians )

Rene sez:
    Good to know we have a fair number of at least partial Montrealers on here (makes up for all the Torontonians )
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is that a distinction with a difference-besides the politics of federalism and cheering the hockey teams- and different ways of squatting on Indian lands? Say no to HydroQuebec-OOps. Wrong list!

3. Montrealers can't speak English well, that's how you identify them.

For example, the simple sentence "I am learning Wing Chun" comes out as "I am learning-guh Wing-guh Chun." Disgusting sound.

Matt
    >>I've had three Cantonese instructors, (all of them 'native' speakers with Cantonese as a first language) one from Shanghai, one from Kuala Lumpur, and one from Vancouver.<<

The one from Shanghai "probably", (as I can't say for sure), spoke Shanghainese which is different from Cantonese. The one from Kuala Lumpur may or may have spoken Cantonese like in the city of Canton. And may have had influence from other Chinese or Indonesian. I have heard the difference between HKers using L in place of N in many words. Also, I can't see Cantonese as a dying language. Some people, unlike most of us Americans, will be multilingual.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 06-22-2003 at 02:57 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

AD is incorrect, it only sounds that way to the horribly accented Torontonians who sound like Valley Girls meet the McKenzie bros., eh? We do have some strange words in Montreal, though, like depaneur (place for dependables) for 7/11 type places

6. Rene, what are you talking-guh about?

Asking agayne, eh, hoser?

8. Xiah, right!

Hey Rene,
    Small world with the school and pierrefond.
    Funny that you mention about the depaneur, I was telling Phil about them when we were at a 7-11 one day recently. Things are sooooooo different between QC and the rest of Canada.
    BTW I spent so much time living in Vancouver and the rest of Canada, that I have no french accent left, except when I am not too pleased and I start speaking in french out of pure frustration. I don't like hockey or beer either.........I am a baaaaaaaaaaaaad Canadian, but I LOVE my country.

Regards,
    Vicky

PS Bob and Doug rocked ya hoser!
    The first day of Christmas my true love gave to me, A beer......in a tree.......lol.
    Originally posted by reneritchie
    AD is incorrect, it only sounds that way to the horribly accented Torontonians who sound like Valley Girls meet the McKenzie bros., eh? We do have some strange words in Montreal, though, like depaneur (place for dependables) for 7/11 type places
    "I've learned....
    That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it" (Andy Rooney)

Originally posted by Phil Redmond

The one from Shanghai "probably", (as I can't say for sure), spoke Shanghainese which is different from Cantonese. The one from Kuala Lumpur may or may have spoken Cantonese like in the city of Canton. And may have had influence from other Chinese or Indonesian. I have heard the difference between HKers using L in place of N in many words. Also, I can't see Cantonese as a dying language. Some people, unlike most of us Americans, will be multilengual.
    Yep, they were all multilingual, putting me to shame too!

The Shanghai one was teaching me Cantonese, but also spoke Mandarin and the Shanghai dialect. The Malaysian one spoke Mandarian, Cantonese, another Chinese language, Japanese, and Malay fluently, and had a **** good grasp of English!

Anyway, good luck with whichever spelling you choose... I hope it doesn't adversely affect your KF as some people seem to think it might!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Vicky,

Have you explained to him about chalices, tabernacles, and the prefered method for use of other assorted religious terms in La belle province yet?

Of course, french isn't really that hard. I bet Phil would have no problem with "C'est le weekend, je veux en hotdog pour mon lunch!"

Of course, french isn't really that hard. I bet Phil would have no problem with "C'est le weekend, je veux en hotdog pour mon lunch!"
    It looks like NY Puerto Rican Spanglish. "Estan comiendo franks en el basement
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Anyway, good luck with whichever spelling you choose... I hope it doesn't adversely affect your KF as some people seem to think it might!
    I agree.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

reneritchie,

Is Old Jong posting on this thread? Me, I'm a transplanted South African of Scotch/Irish and German ancestry Parents named me Rene 'cause it was pretty rare in Jo'burg. Then they moved me here. Go figure.

Not that I think they spoke anything like Africaans in the Liangshan region back then anyway, ech man?
    Moy Yat had American Indian grandparent. You know what that made a trilingual country boy born in Toisan who emigrated from Hong Kong to NYC? As he put it, "still a yellow dog."

Mat,

All I'm trying to say is there are many dialects and provenances, many opinions, but that all languages always change, and while I am for preserving tradition, as languages change, traditions do too, and vice versa. Clinging to a dying language, trying to preserve it in a way that you fondly imagine someone used it at another time in another place, seems to me to be historical vanity, or maybe just historical pigheadedness!
    I respect your thoughts. I guess Sifu using the juxtaposition of Ving Tsun folklore over a real incident was missed by most. Oh well - blame his editor.

Maybe I'll take 2nd stab at editing it one day. It's tough to take the notes Moy Yat wrote (usually on restaurant paper napkins) and separate the relevant from the chinglish doodle. If I can get his point across coherently without erasing the peculiar way he talked, I can only hope.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Tom Kagan's signature
    Others walk the bow, I walk the string.
    So what happens if others walk the string?