Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw a martial arts demo today...

Saw a martial arts demo today...

it completely sucked... It began with the sensei introducing himself and stating that he is a 6th degree black belt in an okinawan style of karate (can't remember, but I think he said goju...although, the four katas they demoed were the first four taught in shotokan) who has been training for 31 years. As soon as he said that, for some reason, I just knew the whole thing would be a hoot. His top student was with him - a brown belt who had been training for one full year. His technique was sloppier than some white belts that I know. They were all very stiff and had zero flexibility - including the sensei.

He went on to say that martial arts focused on 4 things: punches, blocks, strikes and kicks, and that his style was split 50/50 kicks and punches. I'm thinking "what about throws or grappling?" He went on to show some awkward looking self defenses and some one step sparring stuff, followed by a choppy nunchaku kata. The whole thing was a big joke.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Sounds like it sucked. Sadly, there's far between good MA demos, they're always about doing forms, or badly choreographed "self-defence" scenarios. 90% of such demos always sucks.

He he he he he he, I love to hear stories about that stuff, especially since I've trained kids who took 1st, 2nd and 3rd in forms, in the same compitition, as well as 2nd 3rd in sparring in the same com as the forms (As in same day, same divisions) (Ok, Ok points but still).

I did it with 4 years experiance, some Shaolin, but mostly Chung Moo Quan (at a beginners Rank of second section/yellow sash no less) . Guys with 30 +Years experiance, and multiple degrees of "Black Belt" entered students against mine and lost. These are the same guys who said "I" shouldn't be teaching in the first place because I didn't have any "Real" experiance.

I think I succeded for one reason only, Chung moo brain washed thier false sense of superiority into me so well, that I didn't know I sucked, and thearfore didn't know I was capable of failing, so I didn't. It was the only worth wile thing I got from them.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

"and that his style was split 50/50 kicks and punches."

I always find this statement amusing. Does he only use one hand OR one foot? Does he only strike half way? Does he use half a kick then half a punch? This is a misused concept. His style contans punches and kicks. There is no percentage applicable here.

I've seen many of these fat "aging elvis" types, its sad.

I've seen many of these fat "aging elvis" types, its sad

Reply]
    To expand on my last post, it's not sad that they are fat ageing elvis's. The problem is they are caught within the confines of the thinking they have been taught to think by their teachers. In my case, yeah, I was trained in Chung moo, and some Shaolin at the time, and was at best a beginner. BUT, I have a very creative mind, and I "Think" for myself. This allowed my to wiggle through the chaines that "bind" others. By doing this, I was free to look at the situations, and take what I did know, figure out the "How's and Why's" of it. From there I expanded the knowledge on my own, and came up with a way to not only teach effecively, but teach what I didn't even know yet, and in the process learn it myself, thus teaching my studnets to beat those who were trained by the guy's with the rank, recognition and "Credentials".

In other words, I did the impossible. I made all the training, all the years, all the experiance of a good dozen high level teachers representing 30 + locations all worthless. Why, because I am free and they were not.

It's not thier 50/50 mix, it's not the expanding bellies. It's thier trapped minds that are holding them back. These are allways the same people who say guys with little rank, few years ,and no credentials shouldn't be teaching. When in many cases, guys like me are BETTER teachers, and produce BETTER students than they could ever hope for with thier tiny limited, traditionally restricted minds could ever hope for.

This is why in conversations about how I should get some sort of lineage, or teaching certificate, or credentials to hang on the wall for my program, I just don't really give a sh!t.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Smile

uh...

7*-
    When you said sloppy and stiff, I couldn't quite get the idea f what you were looking for, exactly. I've never done Karate, so that is part of the problem, I'm sure.

Did you mean you were looking for crisp, snappy moves? In Kung Fu, it seems that some of the more powerful types had technique that looked like, well, bumbling to the untrained eye.

And isn't there a kind of division in Karate, too? I've heard it said as: woodsman's type [like an ax chopping at trees], fisherman's type [like casting and hauling in nets], city-dweller's type [flashy BS].

-Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

I think he's talking about those guys who have tons of credentials, rank and years, but not only can't do jack themselves, but have students of rank who can't do jack either.

I then went into an only partially related tirade about thier limitations being in thier minds, lack of creative reasoning and observation because they are just following the system, and it has become dead, in an attempt to explain why they sucked without actually seeing them 'cause I'm just a d.ick like that.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Originally posted by Royal Dragon
    He he he he he he, I love to hear stories about that stuff, especially since I've trained kids who took 1st, 2nd and 3rd in forms, in the same compitition, as well as 2nd 3rd in sparring in the same com as the forms (As in same day, same divisions) (Ok, Ok points but still).

I did it with 4 years experiance, some Shaolin, but mostly Chung Moo Quan (at a beginners Rank of second section/yellow sash no less) . Guys with 30 +Years experiance, and multiple degrees of "Black Belt" entered students against mine and lost. These are the same guys who said "I" shouldn't be teaching in the first place because I didn't have any "Real" experiance.

I think I succeded for one reason only, Chung moo brain washed thier false sense of superiority into me so well, that I didn't know I sucked, and thearfore didn't know I was capable of failing, so I didn't. It was the only worth wile thing I got from them.
    Ever read "The Tick"? That was his main strength also: He was to stupid to know that he could die. Consequently, nothing could kill him.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I've never done Karate, so that is part of the problem, I'm sure.
    If the karate is stiff it's very bad karate. Techniques done during kata should have an end point but not a stopping point or pause.
    In Kung Fu, it seems that some of the more powerful types had technique that looked like, well, bumbling to the untrained eye.
    Now that's one of the most apologetic things I've ever heard. Do you mean like sloppy boxers giving someone with good technique trouble?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Ever read "The Tick"? That was his main strength also: He was to stupid to know that he could die. Consequently, nothing could kill him.

Reply]
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean. The older I get, the more I'm convinced it's all a mental game. You are what you believe you are, and your limited by what you believe your limtied by. If your tired of being limited, all you have to do is believe your not anymore.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Benefit of the Doubt

To give the benefit of the doubt - I've done a few demos here and there, and I can tell you - they are ^%$ hard to set up, and &%$# hard to make it (a) look good and (b) be true to your style.

We would work months just refining scenarios and routines and whatnot, and I can assure you - there was probably at least one person sitting in the audience going 'oh man, that's utter *^$#'

That being said - what you saw could well have been utter ^^%$$$, I have no idea, I didn't see it

But thought I would give the perspective from the other side of the stage.

(And if anyone was at the Chinese New Year celebrations in China Town earlier this year in Melbourne - mine was the head being kicked in on stage after I attacked a female training partner of mine with a machete.. you know .. as you do...)
    'If someone wants to fight you, run a mile. If they are still behind you after that, run another mile. If they still want to fight, and it is really worth it, turn around and beat the living !*$!% out of them, 'cause they will be really tired.'

did the guy have a "sensei gut"?

i remember when my Sifu set up a demo one time, some of my seniors basically did a 3 on 1 unrehearsed attack The only thing said was "dont hurt each other too badly or pile on top too much" lol. Of course it was a demo so things were also a little leniant, but not totally compliant.

was interesting to see compared to the usual movie style "fighting" ive seen at other demos

i think i seen the kinda thing u mean 7* and it su(ks!

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Those Demmos arent for us anyways, they are for the beginners, or the curious.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Those Demmos arent for us anyways, they are for the beginners, or the curious.
    Really?

I love a good demo

Specially if you get something really spiffy going like a real nice capoera demo.. those things can be awesome to watch.

Just an appreciation of other's skills in areas I may not neccessarily be abel to do myself.

Or ever stuff I can, always good fun.
    'If someone wants to fight you, run a mile. If they are still behind you after that, run another mile. If they still want to fight, and it is really worth it, turn around and beat the living !*$!% out of them, 'cause they will be really tired.'