Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funakoshi's art was just an imitation karate, not much more than a dance.

Funakoshi's art was just an imitation karate, not much more than a dance.

Nice history of Choki Motobu Just learning about this guy.

I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

That dude said that cuz he was mad at Master Funakoshi!!!
    Besides Karate that was practiced by almost all of these masters was a means of self defense, Not something to go around and beat the crap out of people, or wanting to get into fights.

Master Funakoshi also, i think had titles that Motubu didnt have, Besides if you took the time to study Shotokan Karate you would understand that its definetly not a dance.
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

Relax, Sdude, Rogue is just researching the history of his art...!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Besides Karate that was practiced by almost all of these masters was a means of self defense, Not something to go around and beat the crap out of people, or wanting to get into fights.
    No offense surfer but that's a cop out. The techniques I use for self defense better be as practical as the techniques someone uses to beat the crap out of people. A problem that still plagues karate are techniques that were changed from being practical to look more acceptable to the Japanese.

Master Funakoshi also, i think had titles that Motubu didnt have, Besides if you took the time to study Shotokan Karate you would understand that its definetly not a dance.
    Great let's discuss the bunkai oyo of some of them. Glad to see people like Schmeisser and Harry Cook trying to make heads or tails out of Shotokans kata and move them from dance to something usefull. BTW My main art is TKD that still has a large section of Shotokan kata in it. I'm trying to move from dance myself.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

There's nothing wrong with dancing. It's just not very effective for self defense or beating the tar out of people.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    There's nothing wrong with dancing. It's just not very effective for self defense or beating the tar out of people.
    I disagree. If you don't believe me have a look at this video clip.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

There for you can't do it exactly like the set...
    Something to remember when trying to make the "dancing" of any art practical.

Gene Kelly did a wonderful short film titled, "Dancing: A Man’s Game" where he showed how moves in sports are almost the same as moves in dance. But that said I don't think Kelly could go head to head with Micky Mantle or Sugar Ray Robinson in their sports.

Football isn't a contact sport; it's a collision sport. Dancing is a contact sport. --Vince Lombardi
    Count, were you in that vid?
    Last edited by rogue; 06-22-2003 at 09:16 AM.

DM

The link to Choki Motobu with the picture at the top......can anyone say HYPER EXTEND the elbow.

Are "we" ment to be looking up to thease guys as role models?
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Liokault, it's a posed shot for something, he's barely touching the padding of the makiwara.

You look up to who you please. Motobu was a bad ass and a fighter like some of the old CMA masters. His fighting style seems to be pretty real world, very much infighting from some of the photos that I looked at. In my opinion he shows a side of karate that many want to sweep under the rug, an art based on fighting and not self improvement.

Pic

DM

Hes a guy I have read about before and my main problem with him being counted as a great karate guy is that I dont belive that he really did karate.

To me he looks like a guy who gets into a lot of fights, trains with weights, hits a makiwara and gets into more fights........hes a very good street fighter not a karate ka. Now theres nothing wrong with this in my view but lets call a spade a spade.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Some traditional karate moves have been hidden in Okinawan folk dance as a way to mislead their Japanese overlords. But shotokan in and of itself ain't dance.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, or believes karate is ineffective because it's a "dance" is more than welcome to come by and see Budokan do a shotokan dance on their spleen...
    K. Mark Hoover

Besides in that pic of Motobu you posted, his blocking arm is too high!!! So Hahahaha I win!!!
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

Budokan

Do you think that your art as it is now in any way looks like the art taught by Funakoshi?

From what I have read in the past none of the things listed below have anything to do with the art as taught by Funakoshi in Japan.

Sparring

High kicks

Combinations

Competitions

Possibly 1 step sparring.

Funakoshi was big on such things as:

Standing in lines for hours drilling

Kata

The concept that self discipline improves your life.

I am prepared to bet that no one trains like Funakoshi (taught) today.

Bet? Sensei Koyama a protege of the late Nakayama who was a protege of Funakoshi still does in Phoenix Arizona.

I'm surprised at the sensitivity from my Shotokan cousins. Remember my main art is TKD so I'm at least a first cousin to you all but a step even further away from what the arts core was.

Some traditional karate moves have been hidden in Okinawan folk dance as a way to mislead their Japanese overlords. But shotokan in and of itself ain't dance.
    Not sure about the first sentence but I agree with the second as long as there is thought behind the kata and training.

Besides in that pic of Motobu you posted, his blocking arm is too high!!!
    How so? It's the same block I use in Isshinryu. Sometimes I block even higher if I'm going to wrap the arm.

Hes a guy I have read about before and my main problem with him being counted as a great karate guy is that I dont belive that he really did karate.
    To me he looks like a guy who gets into a lot of fights, trains with weights, hits a makiwara and gets into more fights
    Sounds like a karateka to me. Hell, sounds like several in their younger days that I know. Or is karate a bunch of out of shape people punching air while marching up and down the dojo hoping to become a better person?

This may raise your hackles, but here's a Link to a Shotokan book by Harry Cook.

DM