Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurt foot. Advice please.

Unhappy Hurt foot. Advice please.

My dumb ass got hurt playing on a giant trampolene tonight. I'll spare you the details, but it involved me doing two forward flips and landing on the ground.

Anyway, now my right foot is pretty swollen. It's not my ankle at all, however. All the pain is in the top of my foot and it goes into my toes. I think what happened was when I landed my toes got curled under my foot too much and it stretched the tendons (ligaments?) on the top of my foot. That's what I would guess, because it's swollen on top of my foot.

It hurts when I stand on it. It hurts when I put pressure on it (I have to limp now). It hurts on the top of my foot when I curl my toes up or down. As I said before, the ankle has no pain whatsoever.

I iced it, but that made it feel stiff so I quit. I've taken a few ibuprofin (anti-inflammatory, I think) and that's it. I really want to put heat on it, but aren't you supposed to wait 24 hours for that?

Ok, advice please.

Oh yeah, nothing's broken.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

You have what is referred to as an "ouchie" or an "owwey" in medical circles. This type of condition is usually treated with a heavy dose of "quit your whining".

lmao ... maybe im really drunk but i thought that was some funny sh it.

i'm gonna tell you the same thing your mother's gonna ... get a friggen xray. if you dont want to go to the dr just take care of it the best you can and you'll be fine eventually.
    where's my beer?

Stay off it for now, elevate foot on a pillow, ice (no heat for I think 48 hrs, but not sure). I guess I would want to know how much of a rip/stretch it is and whether there are small bone fractures. I don't like to go to docs, but it would be worth it to avoid a possible chronic foot problem.
    You're right to take an anti-inflammatory.
    I would guess that the stiffness is probably caused by a combo of swelling and spazzing out (normal). Icing is important, imo. I might put a not too tight elastic bandage on it too.

sorry this happened. heal fast!

Cody

Ifit stilldoesnt work right in another day go see a doctor
    Lead, follow, or get outta the way!

We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.--George Orwell

Adfinem terram // Fidelis tamquam post mortem

Try the twenty rep squat program. That should do the trick.

GO TO THE DOCTOR!!! Many times, a minut stress fracure will hurt below the injury. I fractured my anke about ten years ago, but thought it was just a nasty sprain. By the time I got to the doc's, he couldn't do anything for it; it had already healed wrong and you often can't reset that type of fracture

But. Untill you get there:
    Mineral Ice works great on that type of injury. Once the swelling is mostly gone, you could also put Bengay on it. Does pretty much the same thing as Mineral Ice, but it stinks more and burns a bit. And keep it elevated. Don't walk on it at all, if you can help it. Ace wrap it if you do need to walk on it.

Thumbs up

Becca put it pretty well.

Iīd just add that what you described sounds exactly like the condition I had with my foot last summer.
    Basically carelessly kicked a heavy bag (the bottom of) with my instep (correct word I assume)
    The pain was remarkable but healed on itīs own in a day or two.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Cut it off!!!
    Dull rusty things work best!!!
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

Ow, it's a day later and it still hurts. I've got some big bruises forming. I'm going to try to go to the University Health Services tomorrow and see if I can still get free x-rays and visits even tho I already graduated. My foot is still freaking huge. I'll try to take some pics of it tomorrow and scan them. Hehe.

I tried some Mineral Ice but it kind of burnt and froze at the same time, and it also turned my foot blue which I thought was massive bruising and I freaked out.

My ex-girlfriend who just got her Physical Therapy degree said it sounds like pulled tendons, but it doesn't sound like anything is broken (knock on wood). I just described it to her over the phone, though, she didn't get to see it yet. She said the toes get all funny when the metatarsals break, and my toes are pretty normal (except for the fact that I can't really move them too much cuz it hurts). I borrowed a pair of crutches from my friend, so I can keep pressure off of the foot.

When do you guys think I should start putting heat on it. My ex said ice it for a week(!), but I thought it would make more since to only ice it until the swelling begins to go down (I've been measuring it to check, actually). What do you think? I iced it for a while yesterday but it got all stiff and I couldn't really move anything so I stopped. I iced it again tonight, and I put Mineral Ice on it twice during the day.

Ok, done now.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

RICE:

Rest

Ice

Compression

Elevation

You should have been following this since you did it, but it could well be too late now. You should ice it for a few minutes, then take the ice off for about 15 minutes, then repeat.

Definitely see a doc or something - it's easy to break the meta's and they could bug you for ages if they are broken.

Oh yeah, also, YOU IDIOT!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Chainsaws work good........
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

I'll spare you the details, but it involved me doing two forward flips and landing on the ground.
    Sounds like fun......
    Klutz....

Yeah, RICE until you can get to a doc (very recomended)....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I recommend breaking your other foot as well. Symmetry is VERY important.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by IronFist
    Ow, it's a day later and it still hurts. I've got some big bruises forming. I'm going to try to go to the University Health Services tomorrow and see if I can still get free x-rays and visits even tho I already graduated. My foot is still freaking huge. I'll try to take some pics of it tomorrow and scan them. Hehe.

I tried some Mineral Ice but it kind of burnt and froze at the same time, and it also turned my foot blue which I thought was massive bruising and I freaked out.

My ex-girlfriend who just got her Physical Therapy degree said it sounds like pulled tendons, but it doesn't sound like anything is broken (knock on wood). I just described it to her over the phone, though, she didn't get to see it yet. She said the toes get all funny when the metatarsals break, and my toes are pretty normal (except for the fact that I can't really move them too much cuz it hurts). I borrowed a pair of crutches from my friend, so I can keep pressure off of the foot.

When do you guys think I should start putting heat on it. My ex said ice it for a week(!), but I thought it would make more since to only ice it until the swelling begins to go down (I've been measuring it to check, actually). What do you think? I iced it for a while yesterday but it got all stiff and I couldn't really move anything so I stopped. I iced it again tonight, and I put Mineral Ice on it twice during the day.

Ok, done now.

IronFist
    Yep. That's the way to use Mineral Ice. And Icing your foot will make it stiff. But rather than icing for 1 hour, try 10-15 minute stints and the 10-15 minutes with out ice. Don't use heat on it 'till the swelling goes down, and stop trying to wiggle it. The tendons need to rest to heal right. Be pacient. It takes time to heal.