Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to ease/get rid of shin splints?

Best way to ease/get rid of shin splints?

Hi

I havent had them as badly before, but this morning I was skipping in my training shoes (not alot of cusion) - which I guess was the cause.....now my shins kane like hell

But do any of you have any good methods of 'easing' tightness of them.....?

thanks for any help

-greg
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

Shin splints is kind of a vague term for a few different problems. Where exactly do you feel pain/tightness? Is it in the muscle that runs lateral to the tibia, in the muscle medial to the tibia, in the bone itself? If it's lateral to the tibia, I know some stretches that will work to prevent your shin splints.

its the actual bone itself, the tibia where it feels a little tight.....
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

Check out http://www.flipsider.com/know/pages/train/shins.htm.

Nobody gets shin splints like footbaggers. I had them awful for a while.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    my cc coach in high school had me fill a tub w/ ice water and then have some hot hot water ready with towels in it. soak in the cold for a while then apply the hot towels till they cool. repeat.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I used to get them running cross country a lot. Ice them 2-3 times day and if you can, ride a bike or something to strengthen them, don't run!

ok thanks i think i might try that, thanks to colin too.....

its just that theyre causing bruises now and really aching. Im gonna wear trainers for normal houshold things for now...
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

generally, shin splints are the seperation of the lining between the muscle and bone. This causes swelling. The other thing is that if it persist for too long, say 3 weeks or so I would have it looked at by a doctor since it could be bone fractures causing the pain.

They never really go away. I got them pretty bad from running/sprinting in wrestling shoes on hard floor back in high school wrestling practice. Something to think about. I still feel the pain of them and its been 6 years now.

theyre not that bad, i mean i can still push on with them. But I just wanted some tips on reducing them. Thouh i guess if I keep training frequently then as u shuul they will persist
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

Actually if they persist there is something else wrong and you should probbaly be checked out. Shin splints are almost always treatable. Worst case is you sit out for a couple of weeks icing your shins a few times day until they go away.

Great link . . .

Colin Kennedy,

That is a great link. Those excersizes are just what the doctor ordered. Litterally. I had shin splints and my doctor said that I could go to a trainer or just do those myself. Of course, I didn't do them at all and now I am still getting shin splints 4 years later, but I'm starting to do the excersizes now so they go away forever.

Like I said, nobody gets shin splints like footbaggers. I was **** near crippled when I started into the sport.

BTW what the he1l are footbaggers?

Follow the link...

Video