Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: street fight, chain punching

street fight, chain punching

hi guys on chain punching, first i think , it would depend , on
    with , whom you are fighting. if it is a unskilled person knows nothing, i would use chain punching, if it was a good boxer, i would , use nearest weopen to nearest target and watch out for jabs uppercut ete also consider he may have a blade or gun
    in this case my thought is give him my money and maybe i can walj away? if puch comes to shove, martial arts ,teach us the
    best time to strike if he was stupid enough to turn his back on me i would put him in the ground as quickly as possible
    peace russell sherry
    russellsherry

Hello russell,

I agree with what you wrote, my personal preference is work
    the blindside and use split level punching, which works well
    against people who are used to covering up target areas
    well.

bye for now
    Raising up and lifting high
    is called sticking.
    Attachment and Inseparability
    is called adhering
    Forgetting oneself and not
    separating from the opponent
    is called joining.
    Responding to the opponents
    every move is called following
    "Yang family manuscripts copied by Shen Chia-Chen"

russellsherry

IF.....my Uncle was built differently, she would be my Aunt????!!!!!

IF is a very big word and it's not guarenteed???

Sheldon

i dont understand..

what is chain punching? if you hit someone once and it wasnt enough then you keep hitting until it is. If that person is fighting back then you hit when you can.

'chain punching' as a concept seems to imply a lack of awareness of your opponent, as if you just hit randomly, even against a punch bag chain punching is bad because it doesnt take into account any movement of the bag, relative strength of any punch vs another, movement of you around target etc.

if you simply mean ' keep hitting really fast' ...
    shouldnt that be so obvious as not to require a term 'chain punching'?
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century

also,
    what is your intention?

again lack of awareness if all you do is chain punch, no change in terms of simply deflecting opponents, using their strength agaisnt them, yielding, triangulation, power generation etc..

if you just want to defend yourself then a gatling gun of punches is not the best way, theres no quality there.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century

russellsherry, i agree: punch punch punch punch punch punch punch, etc.

strike!

chain punching

hi fooling the deck, look chain punching is not the be all to end all
    but , i think you shoukd keep not be closemined remember its chain punching that make us diffrent from other styles peace rusellsherry
    russellsherry

Originally posted by foolinthedeck
    <snip>...if you just want to defend yourself then a gatling gun of punches is not the best way, theres no quality there.
    IMHO, chain punching is one example of "lin sil di dar" (simultaneous attack and defense). When the opponent attacks, you defend with an attack (punch). Your punch will deflect his attack; and at the same time set up for your next attack.

As russellsherry said, "chain punching is not the be all to end all". There are other weapons in the wing chun arsenal that you can use in a certain situation. Different situations requires different weapons. Some situations require a gatling gun; while others require a sniper rifle. You wouldn't use a machine gun to kill a fly, would you?
    Defend where there is no attack; attack where there is no defense.

Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.

locked up in chains..

i still dont get it, but its probably just me.

russel said that chain punching is what makes us different from other styles.

really? i would have thought that this was the concept which is most SIMILAR to other styles. do other styles have chi sao, bong tan and fuk etc etc?

what am i being closedminded about by talking about a lack of awareness in chain punching? i never said we should not use chain punching, just that suing it alone would be flawed. its hardly a 'skillful' thing to train as compared with everything else that wing chun has to offer (and apparently shares with other MA???)

wingman, i agree in as much as a punch should be used as a defence, not just an attack, but this doesnt really mean that chain punching is thus logically simultaneous attack and defence. a striking punch will have minor differences to a blocking one, the intention for one thing is different, if not then there is no attack and defence only a unity of motion to respond.

also to just claim that 'your punch will deflect his attack' well, we dont need any other technique then, it seems as if you have simplfied wing chun down to just punching and nothing else..

of course i wouldnt use a gatling gun to kill a fly, but then i wouldnt use a sniper rifle either. i would just open the window, and i dont kill flies. bad karma. theres a right time for everything, and a right time for chain punching, my argument thouigh is that chain punching is reminiscent (in firearm terms) of a heavy and unweildy gatling gun - like what that wrestler uses in the film Predator and hits nothing.. the reason why such weapons are rarely used is surely because of accuacy etc. so the wing chun equivalent of the walter PPK is going to be the best punch ismy opinion...

just my opinion, maybe i'm still misunderstanding your love of chain punching.

re chain punch

dear fooling the deck, tell me mate do karate have chain punching i dont think so i said it is not the be all to end all iin wing chun , i use elbows knees when its right to do so but chin punching and chi sau makes us driffrent to all styles peace russellsherry
    russellsherry

Chain punching is typically applied when you have the opponent's structure under control, you have his arms totally trapped, and he is completely exposed. You would then use chain punching to move in to finish off the opponent. Otherwise, chain punching is primarily a training drill to synchronize your punching with your footwork, so that you can move as one structure and add the momentum of your movement to the strength behind your punches.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

re chain punching

dear ntc you put my thoughts into words i compleatle argee with you russell sherry
    russellsherry

Cool. Sometimes it is sooo much easier to show a student or another practitioner what you mean.... putting into words is oftentimes challenging, and can frequently be misinterpreted.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

also to just claim that 'your punch will deflect his attack' well, we dont need any other technique then, it seems as if you have simplfied wing chun down to just punching and nothing else

foolinthedeck ,
    I don't think he's saying that, but if he did, he'd be ok in my book. I've seen realy skillful chainpunching defeat a lot of stuff. And I've seen poor chainpunching put people in some bad positions. But good chain punching stucture (lien wan kuen) is aware of the opponent, its just not concerned with them.
    "Cyanide is a dangerous chemical. That's why it is a crime to possess it without a peaceful purpose," said U.S. Attorney Fitzgerald.

for ntc oddermench

dear ntc and oddermench thanks for your help guys russellsherry
    russellsherry