Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3/24 or 3/30

You know what my advice would be to you Oso? not to worry too much about it. Use your common sense in what you are doing, eating, and taking and I guarentee you will do just fine.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    that was the plan

more on HIIT

in HS (lo, these many years past) one day a week we did interval type training. Our usual day was a 3.2 mile run but one day a week we got on the track and did 1/4 mile sprints alternating with 1/4 mile jogs for 3 miles. I used to pull 56 or 57 seconds for the first 2 or 3 sprints ( aahh, youth and only weighing 140 lbs.)

lets see if I shoot for a 7 min mile that means 1 min 45 sec quarters...i'll give that a shot in the morning...1/4 mile sprints followed by 1/4 mile jogs for 3 miles...wait that's not going to get me the 21 min 3 mile if I only run 1.5 miles at a 7 mph pace...so I'd have to run the sprints at a 10.5 mph pace and the jogs at 3.5 mile an hour pace to even it out...oh, I'm gonna puke....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I have some hill interval training I do that always makes me want to puke, so far so good though!

Red5 - your anecdotal evidence based on your experience is hardly scientific. It's only relevant to your body type. There's a lot of scientific evidence out there that suggests different based on averages.

Low intensity does not burn more fat.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Low intensity does not burn more fat.
    if you did it for an hour or more I think it would.

If you only have 20-30 minutes than I don't think it would and HIIT would be a better choice for that duration.

somebody else's turn to ****
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

No, think about it this way:

Your body burns fat at rest as it's the most abundant fuel you have. It can't afford the oxygen to burn fat so much during intense exercise, so it burns carbs. Then it starts to metabolise fat. At low intenisty exercise it can afford to burn some fat - therein lies your argument about low intenisty exercise burning fat. Here's where it falls down:

Let's say you work out for 30 minutes. There's this thing called EPOC - Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption. The harder the workout, the longer the EPOC.

So, work hard for 30 minutes, burn off a lot of carbs, maybe also burn some fat. Hard exercise, long EPOC, you burn more fat after you stop.

Or

Work out at low intensity for 30 minutes, your body can afford to burn some fat as it has the oxygen (because of the low intensity). So you burn a little fat, but, due to the low intensity, there is little or no EPOC.

Overall, more fat is burned during and after high intensity exercise than during and after low intensity exercise.

You have to look at the whole picture.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

OSO,

Interesting articles about different types of interval training:

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/251run2.html

Articles about some of the initial studies done on HIIT and routines:

http://www.cbass.com/FATBURN.HTM

http://www.cbass.com/SEARCHOF.HTM

Then this is a routine that is well put together as well (Taku):

Phase 1. Weeks 1 & 2 = 4 X 90 seconds work + 90 seconds recovery. Weeks 3 & 4 = 5 X 60 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery.

Phase 2. Weeks 1 & 2 = 6 X 45 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery. Weeks 3 & 4 = 7 X 30 Seconds work + 20 seconds recovery.

Phase 3. Weeks 1 & 2 = 8 X 20 seconds work + 10 seconds recovery. Weeks 3 & 4 = 10 X 20 seconds work + 10 seconds recovery.

Phase 4. (3-4 weeks peaking cycle) Week 1 Monday & Friday = 10 X 20 seconds work + 10 seconds recovery. Week 1 Wednesday = 5 X 30 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery. 3 X 20 seconds work + 40 seconds recovery. 2 X 10 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery.

Week 2 Monday & Friday = 10 X 20 seconds work + 10 seconds recovery. Week 2 Wednesday = 5 X 30 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery. 5 X 20 seconds work + 40 seconds recovery. 5 X 10 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery.

Week 3 Monday & Friday = 10 X 20 seconds work + 10 seconds recovery. Week 3 Wednesday = 5 X 30 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery. 5 X 20 seconds work + 40 seconds recovery. 10 X 10 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery.

Week 4 Monday = 5 X 30 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery. 5 X 20 seconds work + 40 seconds recovery. 5 X 10 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery.

Wednesday = 4 X 30 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery. 6 X 20 seconds work + 40 seconds recovery. 10 X 10 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery.

Friday = 5 X 30 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery. 8 X 20 seconds work + 40 seconds recovery 12 X 10 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery.

Ford, thanks.

On phases 1,2,3 are those done M,W,F or everyday?

The first article lays things out very clearly.

thanks again

2-3 times a week should be suffiecient. If you want more, you could throw a regular slow paced jog in there once a week for good measure.

For mathematically impaired Americans who never ran track in high school, 400 meters is one lap around a standard track.
    That's hilarious. Sad, but hilarious.

Hehehe. What in the hell is a "meter"?! I thought that's what I stick change into when I'm parking.

Are high school tracks usually open to the public during non-school hours?

Yup.

I usually do a 2-3 hour mountain bike ride on the weekends. My fav of the last couple weeks has a 20 minute uphill at the beginning then varied terrain for the rest. After the uphill, it's a challenge to go downhill because you have to hover over the seat and essentially are doing a narrow but low horse.

I'm going to give one of these a try starting today, I did three miles monday and will just pick up w/ wednesday here in an hour or so.

forgot the dang printout of the pattern so I made one up:

30 sec lvl 4
    30 sec lvl 14
    60 sec lvl 4
    30 sec lvl 14
    60 sec lvl 4
    30 sec lvl 14
    60 sec lvl 4
    30 sec lvl 14

90 sec lvl 4

30 sec lvl 14
    60 sec lvl 4
    30 sec lvl 14
    60 sec lvl 4
    30 sec lvl 12
    60 sec lvl 4
    30 sec lvl 12

90 sec lvl 4

30 sec lvl 10
    30 sec lvl 4
    30 sec lvl 10

I felt like I took a hit to the sp about half way through