Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: To all the Shaolin Do detractors

Originally posted by Brad
    Got anymore info on that Tenn. tournement? That's not too far away, and I don't think I've got anything going on in November
    Not yet. I'll know more specifics when the time comes. If it's like the last two years then it will be something like this: For black sashes there are several different events. Exteranal empty hand forms. External weapons; Internal forms (weapons and empty hand in same division); all weight point sparring and non-stop sparring divided in light and heavy wieght. The non-stop is not full contact, but its heavier contact than point. Non-stop is two rounds of 90 seconds with 4 judges and a ref. Each judge picks a winner of the round. Most rounds won wins the match.

BTW, I hate point sparring and think it's a waste, but I compete to get warmed up and to size up some of the competition for non-stop.

Last year the karate people had their own division because they didn't like our rules. Groin kicks and support leg sweeps are fair game. We even had a guy try to use caporeia in the tournament. He turned a kartwheel and then ate a side kick!
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 09-03-2003 at 01:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by Judge Pen

In looking at the forms posted, most of it is Northern. Tiger Crane and the Black Tigers are not. The "China Hand" is also southern. If I'm not mistaken, short Form is also southern. Most of our rank up to 1st black is southern and there is not much of that material represented on that site.

Which forms do you recognize being southern and which do you not recognize?
    I'm looking here: http://www.shaolin-do.com/pages/katas.shtml

I don't recognize anything until the first Black. But most of the stuff from Black to Black 3 looks internal. The Black 3 stuff looks mostly Northern. I don't recognize any of the open-hand forms on Black 4.

Of course, what I don't know can fill a book.

BTW---What dialect/language is "Chien"? I've seen Quan, and Chuan, but not Chien before.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

French - it means dog.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by MasterKiller

I'm looking here: http://www.shaolin-do.com/pages/katas.shtml

I don't recognize anything until the first Black. But most of the stuff from Black to Black 3 looks internal. The Black 3 stuff looks mostly Northern. I don't recognize any of the open-hand forms on Black 4.

Of course, what I don't know can fill a book.

BTW---What dialect/language is "Chien"? I've seen Quan, and Chuan, but not Chien before.
    Chien? It may be Indonesian; that's where GM Sin is from.

The internal doesn't start until Black with the exception of "San Njie" Lo Han Chien is Northern, The Tai Paing, "Shaolin Bird" and White Crane are Southern.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 09-03-2003 at 01:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I dont care to comment on any of the other forms..but the way that version of fu hok/tiger crane was done is 'interesting' Like its almost there, but none of the subtleties are there..and the regular movements are just plain funky to my eye. Still..it IS fu hok...it might have been taken from a book or a poster or a real person, who knows..but I can at least say that that form for one is similar in some ways to the way it is taught in southern Hung Gar.
    -Golden Arms-

Originally posted by Golden Arms
    I dont care to comment on any of the other forms..but the way that version of fu hok/tiger crane was done is 'interesting' Like its almost there, but none of the subtleties are there..and the regular movements are just plain funky to my eye. Still..it IS fu hok...it might have been taken from a book or a poster or a real person, who knows..but I can at least say that that form for one is similar in some ways to the way it is taught in southern Hung Gar.
    I just checked out the videos in question. And I agree that those regular movements look a little funky to my eye as well .. especially considering I know the exact same form. I did like the layout of their site and some of the videos. Unlike Tae Kwon Do which is almost uniform universally, there is a lot of diversity in the performance of our forms. You can go to different schools of Shaolin Do in the same city and see variances. I am not saying one is better than the other, just different. My personal preference, I do my forms and teach them a lot more flowing and pronounced. I see this site emphasis's more snap. While I definitely have "snap" in my forms, I utilize it at different moments or not at all. To me this would give the appearance of the same form looking more karate-esq versus it looking Chinese. (I might not have worded that well) And once again this doesn't denote superiority because a good practitioner of both schools of thought would be a formidable opponent.
    Last edited by themeecer; 06-23-2003 at 03:03 PM.

You levitate?....
    Anyway,you are welcome to the forum.

Too funny.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Originally posted by old jong
    You levitate?....
    Anyway,you are welcome to the forum.
    No I do not.

Yet you learn from a man that claims he can swim with his tits?

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Yes I do. Never heard it phrased quite that way before. Is something like that so unbelievable when we have seen so many other unexplainable Qi Gong feats performed? With my own meager skills I have done things that I would have said was impossible prior to my training.

If other masters can hang cars from their schlong my master can swim with his tits.

Oh lordy!

Hey, if you dig it, then roll with it.

But don't expect to come here and change anyone's mind.

Originally posted by themeecer
    Yes I do. Never heard it phrased quite that way before. Is something like that so unbelievable when we have seen so many other unexplainable Qi Gong feats performed? With my own meager skills I have done things that I would have said was impossible prior to my training.

If other masters can hang cars from their schlong my master can swim with his tits.
    Bet he can't swim with his schlong though

Do you really believe he can swim with his tits?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Originally posted by Serpent
    Oh lordy!

Hey, if you dig it, then roll with it.

But don't expect to come here and change anyone's mind.

Didn't come here to change anyone's mind. Came here to state my feelings towards disrespectable people.

Originally posted by joedoe

Bet he can't swim with his schlong though

Do you really believe he can swim with his tits?
    Yes I do. I was a lifeguard and I swam a lot. With enough practice I could swim with my arms and legs bound. You would use your pectorial muscles along with your torso muscles to "wiggle" while holding enough air in your lungs so you float. (Wouldn't move that fast but would stay afloat and move a little) I would have believed this before studying the martial arts.