Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tradition is . . .

All good points so far.

One thing I always ask people when they talk about traditional.

What is traditional, why do you think that traditional is worse/better?

I think most of the "traditional & modern guys" would get a shock if they could time travel and see what really happened and that there is not much new out there.

Cheers.

Traditional:::

The deeper meaning as it relates to its people, the ethics and to the culture.

The new stuff:::

Is that the current generation of MA are too busy 'seeking knowledge' and not really understanding the true meaning of traditional

~Jason

P.S. I got this from my Sifu and Friend and I do feel the same!!

Also Joedoe well put!!
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

Hmmm, This may not ahve naything to do wiht the topic, but when it comes to forms, i believ in keeping them as historically intact as possible. You see, many of those sets are VERY old, andwere used sucsessfully to train fighting skills back when it really counted. now. most fights are non lethal anyway. I feel in order to preserve the past knowledge, we must preserve the froms in an exacting mannor as possible.

BUT, we face different types of attacks today. Strategies are different, goals are different. I think when it comes to applying those forms, we need to research the movements, and see how they can be applied to today's needs. This gives room both for historical preservation, AND innovation in the same system. The forms are the anchor to the knowledge of the past. The testing, experimenting, and refining how the moves of those forms are applied are the future.

I'd like to see a traditional forms division in MMA comps.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the subject.

RD
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a