Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deviation from Chi Sau/Sparring thread

Ernie:

Thank you for your many considerations.
    Last edited by EnterTheWhip; 06-25-2003 at 08:31 AM.

yuanfen
    wing chun self control nah, wing chun is for training , self control comes from self . thus it was a lack of my self control and for that i apologize ,
    as for preaching , well that is based on faith , i just stated facts .
    but sadly this thread is way off course , which is what usually happens when personalities get involved .
    to be 100% percent honest i was only originally interested in definitions of chi sau , and the levels it applies to . from a mechanical aspect , to a functional aspect .
    there is chi sau when you are learning some thing new ,then there is chi sau when you are training the idea in a semi live enviroment , then there is taking the concept and developed skill and making it functional in a fight situation.
    in chi sau we have plenty of time to play and develop out control ,position ,sensitivity and reflex, we can break down each aspect and train alone or combine concepts and basically grow .
    but then there is a fight were you don't have a chi sau mind , were the intent is to terminate , with you ballistic tools ,
    was just courios about peoples progression from training to fighting .
    that was it but then pysco got all wierd , and as the old saying goes nothing spreads faster then a bad mood ''
    and i got caught up in the sillyness .
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

etw ,
    i always try to be considerate.

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

A question for Ernie

i do functional wing chun when it suits me
    What is functional wing chun?
    Last edited by EnterTheWhip; 06-25-2003 at 09:57 AM.

honest question ,
    i simply ment i use what i need when i need it , i didn't mean it to be some new form of wing chun but from re reading the post i see how it looks that way ''
    you know alot of stuff doesn't fly under pressure or for all body types , so i look for that which best suits my frame and character.
    which is why i actually liked the description in your first post and wanted to did a little deeper ,
    it was never ment to be a loaded question

wing chun self control nah, wing chun is for training , self control comes from self .(Ernie).
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Is the self a fixed enitity? Wing Chun provides the opportunity for self control- important in self defense as well... per kuit-
    hit when you should- dont hit when you shouldnt.
    -------------------------------------------------
    i simply ment i use what i need when i need it

((Sounds JKDish))

Without really wanting to get into what sparring is or isn't, I'm interested to hear how "EnterTheWhip" describes his Chi Sau (what it is, what its for etc)... if you don't mind giving a little more detail that is.
    black and blue. they way this thread is gong, I would be willing t put up good money to say that you will not get an answer to this question. Call it a hunch

Ernie....dont you find it amazing that those who whip themselves into disillusuionment find solace in pretty words and prases that have no substance (except if they want to be poets rather than cultivate a fighting ability). I would be wary of anyone who asks what "functional wing chun" is. I mean........come on lol.

you know ken,
    i just always try to keep a open mind and look for the good in people you never know when you might pick something up from even a different point of view .
    it is odd how people like to group things , and then seperate themselves from the other groups .
    like if you speak of being natural and free then you must but from this group, but if you speak structure then you must be from this group .
    like it's some odd physical impossability to use freedom , interchangable structure , and still be natural.
    but i guess what it would take to develop this would put you in another group all together.

we got to work out some time i had a blast training with andrew , and will continue to share and compare , we should try and find some time before the summer is gone .

Ernie, you express a lot of maturity and thoughtfulness in your posts.

It is indeed counterproductive to try lumping people into "us" vs. "them" camps. We don't have to agree in all our conclusions in order to respect and demonstrate respect toward each other. Even the most reasonable people will disagree on some things. We are all unique and complicated. Perspectives and opinions also evolve. To be able to "listen" is to be able to learn and grow.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

Kathy,

You're the Lady!

"Everything that lives, Lives not alone, nor for itself. - William Blake"

Regards,

KJ:

I quote you: "To be able to "listen" is to be able to learn and grow."... ain't that the truth. At the same time, based on what is in these threads, such a simple concept and yet so difficult by so many to comprehend/master.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

NTC,

In my house I have two dogs. They are two little dogs, but they love to howl and growl violently whenever they see a new dog or cat approaching. To be sure, they don't really hate the intruders, but rather are very excited about the whole thing. You do understand that like their human master, they frankly are bored to death most of the time. People love a good fight either physically or verbally. Do you notice how the view counts jump rather dramatically every time a thread pick up a little heat? So the next time you see someone trade blows and barbs, just think affectionately as puppy fight. They love it and while we browbeat on their uncivilized behaviour, we too secretly are entertained on their unfolding drama.

Regards,

o.k. but i'm not licking my balls for anyone

lol!!!!!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Bottom line? I think y'all missed emin's point. "Chi-sau is for that split second when you make contact-"(or whatever) does not imply that it lasts only a split second-it means that the moment contact is made the reaction, sensitivity, control, folow-ups, etc that are developed from chi-sau come into play. Period. Now stop fighting, kiss an make up.