Page 14 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin-Do answers challenge.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    No one really believes that stuff about "it's what you do with your potential." Girls just tell you that so you don't feel inadequate. Regardless of what they say, it's the size of the boat that counts.
    Uh, I think your mixing your metaphors here. Regardless, I'm secure IQ wise and otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

So, going back a bit, my IQ shadows all this rubbish, and what SD forms resemble lohan chuan, or is it moves in lohan that look like moves in a bunch of forms etc....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

NP,

We have a Lohan chuan form in are basic curriculum and some of the same moves appear in our short forms.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I've never compared my Lohan form with Songshan Lohan. If you have a link with some form demonstration I can look at it and let you know.

I don't know if it's the "best" form in our style. It's sort of a "capstone" form before moving on to brown sash.

Thanks.

meecer -- i said it because at least twice have you brought up your iq in the first place when there wasn't any need. it begs the question of bragging for the sake of getting attention or deflecting already received attention at something else.

intelligence is a nice thing, but it can't easily be measured, and if it's measured, its results are often meaningless. even if someone has a high iq, or a high gpa, or high sat or act or gre scores, those results don't mean squat until the person leaves a controlled environment and has to apply what they know.

i hope you're all starting to link this to your kung fu. the most sound techniques in the world are little more than gymnastics if you can't apply them to the scruffy bad guy who wants to have his way with you, your wallet, your house, your car, your whatever.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Rubthebuddha .. go back and read the thread. My intelligence was being insulted over and over. So I just stated my intelligence not knowing it would cause a big problem. But it really doesn't matter .. nothing I say on here will be believed because of these people's prejudice towards SD.

And like I already said .. we have moved beyond this. In all humbleness, don't start sounding like a broke record like some others that keep chanting .... "but you wear gis." That has been addressed as well as this IQ thing.
    Last edited by themeecer; 06-27-2003 at 10:55 AM.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

consider it a lack of an open mind on both sides -- there are quite a few vocal people here who hate the very existence of shaolin do on one end, and there are others who defend it for whatever reasons. as red5 and you have both asked, the viability of SD really isn't the thing that's bugging most people. if it's worked for you, fine. however, if a person sticks by the claims of its founder and believes them without question when there is little or nothing to support those claims but plenty to contradict them, then it's open season.

make a claim that sd is good for self defense, since it has worked in cases of such for you -- props to you for using it well.

make a claim that sd is good for a workout, since people doing it are often in really good shape because of it -- props to sd, its teachers and students.

make a claim that it's the one and true and pure and only and ... etc. ... real shaolin on a forum like this, and that's just like bending over on a battleship saying "come and get it, big boys" -- you're gonna get reamed.

i'm not putting the onus on you for the latter -- that's left to your sifus and grandmaster. however, defending it on a public forum in front of dozens of people who will not only claim otherwise, but can prove it, is just asking for it.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Yeah, but you also believe that Shaolin-Do is kung fu, that qigong makes you bounce and that ****sexuality is alifesytle choice.
    LOL, I think that's an indicator of a low EQ.

As for the LoHan kata (Lohan Chien) it has a few Monkey kicks and the like but I have been told by people familiar with Songshan Lohan that it only contains a couple of the true forms transitional movements, repeated and done wrong.

BTW. SD folks what does "Chien" mean? I have a rusty knowledge of Cantonese and since Sin The' claims to come from the Southern Temple then names should be Gwandongwa but they don't appear to be. What's up wit dat?

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Try www.russbo.com. I can't see the videos because of my firewall, but I think those are the ones that themeecer is looking at.
    I was having difficulty accessing the vids there. I'll try again later.

Originally posted by BeiKongHui

BTW. SD folks what does "Chien" mean? I have a rusty knowledge of Cantonese and since Sin The' claims to come from the Southern Temple then names should be Gwandongwa but they don't appear to be. What's up wit dat?
    I addressed this on another forum. Maybe its Indonesian and Sin The is mixing languages. Maybe its a Kentucky hick trying to pronounce chuan.

BTW, I grew up in SW Virginia just a few miles from Kentucky and I currently live in Tennessee. I use the term "hick" with all due respect form my ancestry. My point is we sometimes talk a little funny!

I was having difficulty accessing the vids there. I'll try again later.
    there is a really good support post there... see if that helps..
    it might be your firewall.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Originally posted by norther practitioner

there is a really good support post there... see if that helps..
    it might be your firewall.
    Maybe. Looked like an interesting site.

I don't think any shaolin-do person here has said anything about their system being the grand-oogly-moogly-whatever. Even the phrase "the most comprehensive martial art in the world" found on the home website, should be forgivable, everyone thinks their style (done correctly) is comprehensive. I think some folks here have dealt with arrogant shaolin-do people in the past, and are predisposed to place anyone who studies shaolin-do in that category.
    I've heard AfricanTiger mention his IQ score multiple times prior to this incident, but I've never heard anyone on this forum blast his doing so as arrogant. Why would that be? The answer is simple, no one is gunning for him or trying to take him down a peg.

So, just to attempt to make a point, this IQ thing has been off-topic in that it's not matching the subject line...but on-topic in that every shaolin-do person has to tread lightly or expect everyone to jump to the attack. Yeah, I know, boo-hoo poor shaolin-do....that's not what I'm looking for. Just hoping that you all see that anyone consistantly attacking themeecers statements, may simply be attacking what they think he represents. Themeecer seems to come from TWS's style of "say what you think, off the hip" kind of posting, we've got lots on KFO like that, the only time it's a problem is if the person studies shaolin-do or a style equally unpopular on these boards.

Finally, no one can seem to prove anything about portions of the history of Shaolin. Was there a southern temple? Were shaolin stylists forced into Indonesia? Were ways of fighting shared by multiple temples in different areas? Can the learning of fighting be seperated from the buddhist studies? Did the communist government influence the way Songshan's shaolin re-grew itself? It's not just shaolin-do which would answer all these questions with a "yes"....
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Looked like an interesting site.
    With Shaolin in your styles name, I'm surprised you hadn't seen that website before.

Good post Radhnoti... albeit a bit too forgiving

As the SD world turns
    practice wu de