Page 10 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin-Do answers challenge.

Git? That is a new one for me. Not in our vernacular here. Do explain.

I downloaded several monk videos last night and the vast majority of it uncannily resembles my forms.
    From where? Russbo?
    So you are saying that your stuff resembles songshan Shaolin?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

SD video clips

Just out of curiousity on all the video clips on various SD websites. Every single SD practitioner here, to the man, has dismissed those. Comments ranging from beginner/amateur, to they obviously don't know what they are doing and those people must be complete losers because they suck so bad.
    So, my question is, and this is sincere, not trying to argue, why would teachers, a master of a system no less, put clips of forms and sparring up on their website, without it being if not the best, but certainly at least an adequate representation of their art? I can't understand why a teacher would put so many clips up that would suck so bad (according to non SD people and SD people alike).

Yes, some of our forms do resemble those. The monk's skills were obviously better than mine but I could see huge similarities. I wish I had the capabilities here to upload a video of me doing our connecting fist form. I have read on some of our sites where that is mistakenly called a precursor to the "karate" arts. And done the way their videos on their sites show it would look like that. They have changed things, shortened stances, left out difficult moves. But done correctly it looks nothing like karate and is undeniably "kung fu." (I assume no one is going to point out my use of this misnomer, since we are using "kung fu" to indicate all CMA.)

Other forms, of ours, don't look like that. Of course our Tai Chi forms look totally different, as well as many other forms. One thing we don't have that I will pick up someday is rope dart. I love watching that done well.

And regarding the "lewd liberal left" being brainwashed. Who is to say the bible thumping redneck right isn't brainwashed either?

You, like TWS, are not doing any favors for SD.

Re: SD video clips

Originally posted by Ground Dragon
    Just out of curiousity on all the video clips on various SD websites. Every single SD practitioner here, to the man, has dismissed those. Comments ranging from beginner/amateur, to they obviously don't know what they are doing and those people must be complete losers because they suck so bad.
    So, my question is, and this is sincere, not trying to argue, why would teachers, a master of a system no less, put clips of forms and sparring up on their website, without it being if not the best, but certainly at least an adequate representation of their art? I can't understand why a teacher would put so many clips up that would suck so bad (according to non SD people and SD people alike).
    Hehe .. you're trying to get me in trouble aren't you. Very good question, and nicely asked. Let me just quote Mr. Miagi "There is no bad student, only bad teacher..." As Evad pointed out not all our masters are created equal. I'll try not to be more critical of them than that. They are doing what they enjoy and getting out of it what they want. In my journey I just choose to get more out of it than they do.

And regarding the "lewd liberal left" being brainwashed. Who is to say the bible thumping redneck right isn't brainwashed either?

You, like TWS, are not doing any favors for SD.
    Bible thumping? Hmmmm. I'll take that as a compliment. Suprising you made that reference since I didn't bring any morality into it. I was only speaking of it in scientific terms.

I will allow my skills to speak for SD.

some of our forms do resemble those.
    just curious... which ones to which ones?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Re: SD video clips

Some of the clips were not bad representations and some were horrible. It depended on the practitioner. I posted my opinions, form for form, in a former thread so if your curious about my humble opinion you can check it out there.

As for why GG would put some of those up, I don't know. I think he wanted to appease all of his black belts and let them do something for the website. Hence the mix of good to horrible representations there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by themeecer

I will allow my skills to speak for SD.
    Unfortunately, your skills are not on display, your words are. From the reputation of your teacher I have no doubt that you are a well trained martial artist. What's happening on these forums is that you are allowing people to attack the method and language of your rebuttals instead of the content. That is my only criticism.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by norther practitioner

just curious... which ones to which ones?
    Not ignoring your question .. but I have pressing matters I need to attend to. I'll try to get back to that this evening. It isn't like it only resembled one form. I saw a couple different forms involved there.
    Last edited by themeecer; 06-26-2003 at 09:27 AM.

Originally posted by Judge Pen

Unfortunately, your skills are not on display, your words are. From the reputation of your teacher I have no doubt that you are a well trained martial artist. What's happening on these forums is that you are allowing people to attack the method and language of your rebuttals instead of the content. That is my only criticism.
    Unfortunately you are right. Since many of their arguments have been answered some of them are choosing to harp on other issues. But I am passionate about many things in my life and will not allow their charges to go unanswered. Doesn't matter though, they are going to believe whatever they choose to, even if they got their butt kicked by a SD. That wouldn't mean that SD is superior, it would mean that the guy they fought was better or at least on that day he was.

But that is to be expected since our ancestors went around saying things like: "Your tiger style is puny and weak... I'll show you that my 8 drunken masters style is far superior..."

I now wish I could retract my statement about different masters. You mentioned a name (or at least initials) and I wasn't. I hope it wasn't believed that I was pointing out one particular master. I was only talking in general. I have seen many websites.
    Last edited by themeecer; 06-26-2003 at 09:31 AM.

Originally posted by themeecer

I now wish I could retract my statement about different masters. You mentioned a name (or at least initials) and I wasn't. I hope it wasn't believed that I was pointing out one particular master. I was only talking in general. I have seen many websites.
    That particular website was the subject of a recent thread and I did crtique several forms there. I complimented several and thought that several were not good representations. I was not critquing that master personally or even his school. If any master allowed all of their black belts to perform a form for video I would bet the qualtiy of the results would be varied.

themeecer-

Did you not try to explain your way out of the use of the word "f@ggot" by explaing what you though it USED TO mean?

Well, CRACKER was a term used by other whites to describe white trash hicks long before it was in use by African American's. So that's the intent behind my use of the word cracker.
    You have shown yourself to be one I might add.

As further education let me tell you why I don't care for "f@ggot". Because when people with your, shall we say parochial, attitude were the norm h0m0sexuals were burnt at the stake. A bundle of small branches lit on fire is what F@ggot really means and a Flaming F@ggot is...well, it should be obvious where that came from.

Don't be so proud of your ignorance both in your beliefs and your Karate. (Sorry I know all the SD forms to 2nd BB and it ain't kung fu) No offense to Karate folks.

BTW you may want to research your "science" it's been known for a few years now that there is a difference in a gay man's brain and a hetero's brain. A gay man's brain make up is more similar to a womans than a hetero man. Sorry, your local Mullah didn't choose to inform you....

Now, I will let someone else with time to waste on you explain why people don't "TURN" gay and back.

When I said you weren't doing SD any favors, I meant basically what Judge Pen said. Your skills aren't on display. Your words, attitudes, emotions and beliefs are. Your vitriolic, defensive posture makes you look foolish. Indeed, I'm sure you will respond the same way to this post. You make SD look bad with what appears to be, blind faith in a system and a man. If you want to represent and 'defend' your art, take Judge Pen's or Evad's lead. People will at least take you more seriously.
    And to be honest, I could care less about your skills or anyone else's in SD. My only issues are the heap of lies that are perpetuated and taken on faith alone by people (including you it seems). And in the end, I don't even really care about that. I used to be in SD a long time ago, then in Master Hiang's Central Shaolin. Now I'm in something entirely different, so I have different fish to fry.