Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin-Do answers challenge.

There are two parts to the question, one is an inquiry as to our yang tai chi.

Concerning SD and Yang tai chi, I have a video of a tai chi competition with Yang Jwing Ming doing Yang tai chi and it's the same routine that we do. I also have a few other books available that show the same routines we do layed out in panels for the novice student. My understanding of how we acquired that family of tai chi, revolves around one of the other teachers that Master Sin had in Indonesia. Grandmaster Ie had a few colleagues that each specialized in different styles, one of these guys was the internal teacher. And from him Master Sin learned a few Yang family tai chi routines and a few other internal systems. I can't recall that teachers name, but I'll dig it up and see if it has a family tree on there that I could use to trace some information down.

Concerning the Yang Lu Chan dilema, I'm not sure, but I am familiar with what your saying about YLC visiting and passing on his knowledge to the monks there, but the whole earl thing, I have no clue. Isn't he the guy with big hair from australia and wierd beady eyes?
    Last edited by Evad; 06-25-2003 at 01:16 AM.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never break under the pressure!

*Gets Pepsi and popcorn*
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Evad,

I appreciate your honesty and willingness to address the forum in this manner. There are quite a few SD students, like myself, huafist, rhadonti, and even Shaolin-Do (when he's not talking about pot ) who frequent these sites and try to answer some of these questions from time to time. Sometimes we do well and sometimes we fall short. Your willingness to go on record and say some of the things that many SD students keep to themselves out of some sense of respect to the style and their teachers is refreshing. I hope to meet up with you in the tourney in Lexington.

Judge Pen
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Let me second Judge Pen's thanks. In your first posts you've addressed a major problem that I had. You are aware that GM Sin's book states plainly that our art was changed to shaolin-do by GM Ie in Indonesia I'm sure. Was this a mistake to be accredited to Asoc. Master Halladay, in your opinion, or something else entirely...say an attempt to legitimize the name?

It IS a shame that students of shaolin-do are so actively discouraged from asking questions like these. Confucian model I suppose, don't question your higher-ups and all that. I know I've been shut down mid-sentence many a time when asking lineage or "political" questions. "If Grandmaster Sin wanted you to know about that, I suppose he'd tell you...or me for that matter.", is an actual response I've gotten from a 4th black I know. And so, any SD student actually interested in discussing the history has to find like souls and discuss things privately...sometimes feeling like some kind of rebellious, ungrateful student. It's the wrong way to do things, and I'm sure it's caused us to lose many a good practicioner.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

themeecer said:
    I used no hate language, this is hate language:
    You don't consider "***goty" to be hate language?

Evad
    based on this famous photo of the originator of your style, who is suposed to be a shaolin monk.
    http://www.shaolin-do.com/masters/SKong.jpg

He is wearing a western style suit and tie.

So I'm asking where would a shaolin monk purchase a suit and tie ? It doesn't seem likely as I wouldn't think the monks would have the resources to buy a suit.
    Last edited by Mojo; 06-25-2003 at 08:12 AM.
    No brag, just fact.

Okay folks, I've been known to be really suspicious of Shaolin-Do myself, but this is ridiculous. WHAT THE **** DOES THE WAY YOU DRESS HAVE TO DO WITH KUNG FU? Sorry for screaming, but that just had to emphasized.

I wear whatever seems comfortable for training. Some schools may like uniforms and so be it. I don't get that, but so be it.

Yes, I find it odd that this art calls itself Shaolin-Do. That's something I find pretty hilarious. Yes, I agree that what I've heard makes SD sometimes sound pretty cultish. Yes, I may think they're using gi's to cash in on their supposed coolness factor. Yes, I don't think their lineage claims seem too solid.

However, I don't think any of that is really important.

I've never met a SD guy, never fought one, nor even seen one fight. I'll pass judgement when I do. Before that I live and let live, though I will certainly chuckle at the name of Shaolin Do. It's just funny combining languages like that.

I didn't choose my teacher because he had solid lineage claims or because I liked the uniforms. Ultimately, all that is bull****. I chose to study under him because he was the best fighter I'd ever seen and I hoped he could teach me his skills. Simple as that.

So, you SD-haters out there, I think we've seen enough and need something new to vent our frustration on. To the SD-players, keep doing what you love and feel to be right. To everyone, never stop looking for the truth and comparing what you know with what you see.

Sorry for being a bit ranty.

Respect.
    "Once you get deeper into the study of Kung Fu you will realise that lineage and insulting others become more important than actual skill and fighting ability." -- Tai'ji Monkey

"Eh, IMO if you're bittching about what other people are doing instead of having intelligent (or stupid) conversation about kung fu or what your favorite beer is, you're spending too much time exploring your feminine side." -- Meat Shake

Originally posted by Brad
    themeecer said:

You don't consider "***goty" to be hate language?
    Haha, no sir I don't. I don't believe in the concept of "hate language," especially for a condition that is a choice. Even if I used a racial slur, which I don't use, it is not hate language ... because I love people of all colors. It would be a use of words to elicit a response. The closest thing to hate language would be, "I hate you and I am going to kill you." The use of "***goty" or saying something is "gay" does not denote that something is "h omosexual." Words have different meanings. In the UK you smoke a "f ag." In todays language, "gay" means something is stupid. I guess you also believe that an attack on someone because they are of another race or "h omosexual" as a hate crime/attack. That is one of the biggest pieces of BS I have heard the left come up with. Any attack is a hate crime, no matter who it is against. There shouldn't be stiffer penalties against someone just because they meet the "hate crime" criteria. If a person would get the chair for killing, for example, a black "h omosexual" guy, they should get the chair if they killed a white straight guy.

Bleh, I didn't want to get into a political discussion.

****logous ****genous ****geneous ****genized .. hehe, can't believe it censored these words.

Originally posted by Daredevil
    To the SD-players, keep doing what you love and feel to be right. To everyone, never stop looking for the truth and comparing what you know with what you see.
    Thank-you, DD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Hate crime or not, it should hardly be surprising that people are offended by the 'gay = stupid' formula. If you think something's stupid, try saying this: "Man, that's stupid."

See? Easy.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Originally posted by Judge Pen

Thank-you, DD.
    Yes DD, thank you. Cracking movie that way .... Daredevil that is. Was very surprised in Ben "the chin's" performance. And the gal practicing with sais ... oh my.

Dont know anything about Shaolin Do as i dont think we have any schools here in the UK? But im interested to see where this thread goes

joedoe said: I get annoyed when people claim to be doing 5 Ancestors when clearly they are not.
    LOL!

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Sorry, no schools in the UK as of yet.

One good thing about this "discussion," it has prompted me to put some better info on the net. I liked the layout of the Atlanta SD school's site, now I need to make one with videos showing how those forms are really done. Some of them I hardly recognized. I did like the various tai chi videos, the one gal must have had a background in dance. Another thought would be to add a FAQ section, so instead of answering the same questions on here ... I'll just send you to the FAQ.

Another good site to check out is Master Hiang The's site. Central Shaolin MA

More people wearing Buddhist robes...er....Gis.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    More people wearing Buddhist robes...er....Gis.
    Get over it. If I choose to play chess in the nude I am still playing chess. If I practice Kung Fu in a Gi I am still doing Kung Fu. If I kick your butt in street clothes I am still kicking your butt. How hard is that to understand?